Old 05-10-2010, 10:53 AM
Pierre Schmitz

Default gcc 4.5 breakage

On Mon, 10 May 2010 12:45:09 +0200, Thomas Bächler <thomas@archlinux.org>
wrote:
> Btw, why do I always get signoffs, then move it, and only then get these
> reports?

Because too few people use testing and this bug was only revealed when
using some unusual boot parameters.

Old 05-10-2010, 11:18 AM
Allan McRae

wrote:

Btw, why do I always get signoffs, then move it, and only then get these
reports?

Because too few people use testing and this bug was only revealed when
using some unusual boot parameters.

Or... maybe because that package was moved after about 24 hours so a
fair portion of [testing] users would not have upgraded yet, not even
considering the mirror sync time. Then a big proportion of those who
did update it in that time would be regular updaters and would not have
needed to regenerate their initrd yet.

Allan

Old 05-10-2010, 11:40 AM
Thomas Bächler

Am 10.05.2010 13:18, schrieb Allan McRae:
> On 10/05/10 20:53, Pierre Schmitz wrote:
>> On Mon, 10 May 2010 12:45:09 +0200, Thomas Bächler<thomas@archlinux.org>
>> wrote:
>>> Btw, why do I always get signoffs, then move it, and only then get these
>>> reports?
>>
>> Because too few people use testing and this bug was only revealed when
>> using some unusual boot parameters.
>>

> Or... maybe because that package was moved after about 24 hours so a
> fair portion of [testing] users would not have upgraded yet, not even
> considering the mirror sync time. Then a big proportion of those who
> did update it in that time would be regular updaters and would not have
> needed to regenerate their initrd yet.

Yeah, I may have been too fast here. I'll know what I need to test more
thoroughly in the future, besides booting my VMs with it.

In this case:
echo "a.b" | sed 's|.|_|g'
should return a_b and not something cryptic.

Anyway, it seems the bug I reported in gcc 4.5 is not the only one that
is breaking stuff here. The fix for that one has not yet been backported
to 4.5 (it is in the 4.6 branch only). Once that is backported, we need
a new snapshot.

Old 05-10-2010, 01:19 PM
Dieter Plaetinck

how does all this stuff affect archiso releases? can i build my final
images using packages from core or do i need to wait?

dieter