Old 05-02-2010, 03:49 PM
Pierre Schmitz

Default kernel26 2.6.33.3-2 (and aufs2)

This new kernel just exports some additional symbols for aufs2 which was
updated to a new snapshot. This should hopefully fix some issues with the
.33 kernel and aufs. Related aufs packages are: aufs2 2.6.33_20100425-2 and
aufs2-util 20100422-1

In addition to regular sign-off some feedback about aufs would be nice;
especially if you use archiso.

Greetings,

Pierre

Old 05-02-2010, 04:02 PM
Roman Kyrylych

On Sun, May 2, 2010 at 18:49, Pierre Schmitz <pierre@archlinux.de> wrote:
> This new kernel just exports some additional symbols for aufs2 which was
> updated to a new snapshot. This should hopefully fix some issues with the
> .33 kernel and aufs. Related aufs packages are: aufs2 2.6.33_20100425-2 and
> aufs2-util 20100422-1
>
> In addition to regular sign-off some feedback about aufs would be nice;
> especially if you use archiso.

Regular x86_64 signoff.

--
Roman Kyrylych (*оман Кирилич)

Old 05-07-2010, 10:04 PM
Dieter Plaetinck

On Sun, 02 May 2010 17:49:13 +0200
Pierre Schmitz <pierre@archlinux.de> wrote:

> This new kernel just exports some additional symbols for aufs2 which
> was updated to a new snapshot. This should hopefully fix some issues
> with the .33 kernel and aufs. Related aufs packages are: aufs2
> 2.6.33_20100425-2 and aufs2-util 20100422-1
>
> In addition to regular sign-off some feedback about aufs would be
> nice; especially if you use archiso.

http://build.archlinux.org/isos/archlinux-2010.05.07-netinstall-i686.iso
boots fine on my system. signoff i686.

once i have rebuilt images (with correct copyright statement) i will
let the community test, then you'll have a bit more feedback about how
well it works

Dieter

Old 05-09-2010, 05:23 PM
Pierre Schmitz

On Sun, 9 May 2010 19:20:31 +0200, Marek Otahal <markotahal@gmail.com>
wrote:
>> It seems to be fine in x86_64 and the aufs bugs are confirmed to be
fixed
>> with this version. So, I'll move these to core/extra.
> Hello,
> please just test a bit more the new kernel, I have just rebooted to the
> new
> 2.6.33.3-2 kernel and got kernel panic on Init: ..something about
missing
> symbols, failed exec and 52 - I didn't take notes of that and don't know
> if
> it's logged somewhere (?)
> I'm using [testing], i686, and encrypted disk, but this probably
occurred
> before this.
> I'll retest when I have time..
> Anybody else experiencing this?
>
> Thanks and have a nice day
> Mark

I noticed the same. But this is caused by the mkinitcpio update and not
the kernel. In my case "logo.nologo" in the kernel parameter line was
causing this.

Old 05-09-2010, 05:37 PM
Thomas Bchler

Am 09.05.2010 19:23, schrieb Pierre Schmitz:
> I noticed the same. But this is caused by the mkinitcpio update and not
> the kernel. In my case "logo.nologo" in the kernel parameter line was
> causing this.

That is plan bullshit. The mkinitcpio update didn't even _touch_ the
init file, it is entirely unchanged.

Old 05-09-2010, 05:42 PM
Thomas Bchler

Am 09.05.2010 19:23, schrieb Pierre Schmitz:
>> please just test a bit more the new kernel, I have just rebooted to the
>> new
>> 2.6.33.3-2 kernel and got kernel panic on Init: ..something about
> missing
>> symbols, failed exec and 52 - I didn't take notes of that and don't know
>> if
>> it's logged somewhere (?)
>> I'm using [testing], i686, and encrypted disk, but this probably
> occurred
>> before this.

Wow, this is so helpful, what about writing it down?

Old 05-09-2010, 05:52 PM
Thomas Bchler

Am 09.05.2010 19:37, schrieb Thomas Bchler:
> Am 09.05.2010 19:23, schrieb Pierre Schmitz:
>> I noticed the same. But this is caused by the mkinitcpio update and not
>> the kernel. In my case "logo.nologo" in the kernel parameter line was
>> causing this.
>
> That is plan bullshit. The mkinitcpio update didn't even _touch_ the
> init file, it is entirely unchanged.

Okay, gcc 4.5.0 still fucks up, I am pushing a new mkinitcpio-busybox
directly to core, built with -O0 this time, as this will keep breaking
people's systems.

Old 05-09-2010, 06:05 PM
Thomas Bchler

Am 09.05.2010 20:03, schrieb Marek Otahal:
> Thomas:
> Why such an unfriendly tone.. Anyways, I did write it down and it goes:
> Starting udevd
> Done
> /Init: export: line 52: <some unreadable characters> Variable name missing...
>
> Thank you both for looking at this.

I sincerely apologize, that was entirely uncalled for. It seems gcc
screwed up, see my latest post here.

Old 05-09-2010, 06:19 PM
Mauro Santos

On 05/09/2010 06:20 PM, Marek Otahal wrote:
> On Sunday 09 of May 2010 15:55:17 Pierre Schmitz wrote:
>> On Sat, 8 May 2010 00:04:43 +0200, Dieter Plaetinck <dieter@plaetinck.be>
>>
>> wrote:

>>> http://build.archlinux.org/isos/archlinux-2010.05.07-netinstall-i686.iso
>>> boots fine on my system. signoff i686.
>>>
>>> once i have rebuilt images (with correct copyright statement) i will
>>> let the community test, then you'll have a bit more feedback about how
>>> well it works
>>>
>>> Dieter
>>
>> It seems to be fine in x86_64 and the aufs bugs are confirmed to be fixed
>> with this version. So, I'll move these to core/extra.
> Hello,
> please just test a bit more the new kernel, I have just rebooted to the new
> 2.6.33.3-2 kernel and got kernel panic on Init: ..something about missing
> symbols, failed exec and 52 - I didn't take notes of that and don't know if
> it's logged somewhere (?)
> I'm using [testing], i686, and encrypted disk, but this probably occurred
> before this.
> I'll retest when I have time..
> Anybody else experiencing this?
>
> Thanks and have a nice day
> Mark

If you have something like radeon.modeset=1 in your kernel line, remove
that, that caused me some trouble and I got a kernel panic during
startup with this message:

"/init: export: line 52: (garbled chars): bad variable
Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!"

--
Mauro Santos