Old 01-11-2008, 10:59 PM
"Aaron Griffin"

Default filesystem 2007.11-5

Changes that were in -4
Setup for FHS compliant man pages - FS#8839
Claim ownership of /etc/profile from bash - FS#4766
Remove LESSCHARSET env var from /etc/profile - FS#8877
/etc/profile revamp

Changes in -5:
Removal of /tmp workaround - FS#7194 close message
Removal of pacman dirs - FS#6062 comments
/proc permissions set to 555 - FS#8857

Old 01-12-2008, 09:49 AM
Xavier

Aaron Griffin wrote:
> Changes in -5:
> Removal of /tmp workaround - FS#7194 close message

7197 is not fixed unfortunately. Note that you had to be careful when
testing it, exactly because of the workaround in 7194.
That is, you install fileystem package, then see the /tmp permissions
are fine, but the permissions were in fact changed by filesystem scriptlet.

See http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/7484#comment17619 where I explain why
/tmp/ is a special case for pacman.

> Removal of pacman dirs - FS#6062 comments

That's probably a good thing, pacman needed /var/lib/pacman to install
filesystem in the first place anyway.
On this topic, shouldn't pacman create this directory itself if it
doesn't exist?

Note this is exactly the same issue as the recent cachedir change :
http://projects.archlinux.org/git/?p=pacman.git;a=commit;h=1a0aaa20df29234250ecc0f9f c3f56bb8cf22ca1

with the following correspondence :
alpm_option_add_cachedir <-> alpm_option_set_dbpath
_alpm_filecache_setup <-> *_alpm_db_register_local

But I am not sure what to think about the following comment
(libalpm/db.c, ~560):
snprintf(path, PATH_MAX, "%slocal", dbpath);
/* TODO this is rediculous, we try to do this even if we can't */
if(stat(path, &buf) != 0 || !S_ISDIR(buf.st_mode)) {
_alpm_log(PM_LOG_DEBUG, "database dir '%s' does not
exist, creating it
", path);
if(_alpm_makepath(path) != 0) {
RET_ERR(PM_ERR_SYSTEM, NULL);