Old 04-04-2010, 08:56 PM
Jan de Groot

Default xorg-server 1.8 repository

There's a new repository for xorg-server 1.8 packages. As this release
requires new drivers and reconfiguration, I decided to put it in its own
repository to not break testing for a lot of users.
Packages have been built on top of testing, but as this new version does
not depend on OpenSSL anymore, it should work fine on top of core+extra.
Kernel 2.6.33 from testing is recommended due to DRI improvements in
that version.
To use the repository, add this repository on top of testing to
pacman.conf:
[xorg18]
Include = /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist

This release works with udev for input hotplugging and
supports /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/*.conf as replacement for the hal .fdi
files. After upgrading to this release, configuration for input devices
in hal is ignored and should be done by udev rules or xorg.conf.d files.
Documentation about this change can be found on:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Input_device_configuration

At this moment there's no nvidia driver available for xorg-server 1.8.0.
The version in the extra repository works with the -ignoreABI option
(which can be set as option in xorg.conf also), but performance is not
as good as with xorg-server 1.7. The support for xorg-server 1.8 is
experimental and is not yet officially supported by Nvidia.

Things todo before this merges to extra:
- Add documentation about input configuration to our wiki, as hal is
deprecated now
- Ask nvidia for a driver that works without ignoreABI, I'm sure they
can give us a timeframe for that
- Add xorg.conf.d config files for input drivers, right now only evdev
and synaptics have config files
- Fix xf86-video-siliconmotion, xf86-video-unichrome, xf86-video-nouveau

Old 04-06-2010, 03:42 PM
Andreas Radke

Am Sun, 04 Apr 2010 22:56:31 +0200
schrieb Jan de Groot <jan@jgc.homeip.net>:

> This release works with udev for input hotplugging and
> supports /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/*.conf as replacement for the hal .fdi
> files. After upgrading to this release, configuration for input
> devices in hal is ignored and should be done by udev rules or
> xorg.conf.d files. Documentation about this change can be found on:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Input_device_configuration

You should clarify what's our recommended way to do local
configurations: either all in the old /etc/X11/xorg.conf and
leave /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/ up for preset configuration files from
distribution packages or people should use several or one file their own
in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/

I have used /etc/X11/xorg.conf that works very well on my notebook and
leaves all space for distribution files in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/. Arch
planet already shows the 2nd way:
http://www.deelab.org/bash/2010/04/xorg-1-8-synaptics-touchpad-configuration/

I think we should only recommend one way.

-Andy

Old 04-06-2010, 07:33 PM
Thomas Bächler

Am 04.04.2010 22:56, schrieb Jan de Groot:
> There's a new repository for xorg-server 1.8 packages. As this release
> requires new drivers and reconfiguration, I decided to put it in its own
> repository to not break testing for a lot of users.
> Packages have been built on top of testing, but as this new version does
> not depend on OpenSSL anymore, it should work fine on top of core+extra.
> Kernel 2.6.33 from testing is recommended due to DRI improvements in
> that version.
> To use the repository, add this repository on top of testing to
> pacman.conf:
> [xorg18]
> Include = /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist

These crash as quickly as the testing stuff - within less than a minute.

Old 04-18-2010, 03:41 AM
Ray Kohler

On Sun, Apr 4, 2010 at 4:56 PM, Jan de Groot <jan@jgc.homeip.net> wrote:
> Things todo before this merges to extra:
> - Fix xf86-video-siliconmotion, xf86-video-unichrome, xf86-video-nouveau

I'm curious as to what this means. In particular, what's broken with
nouveau? Does it not compile, or not work properly? And is this with
the source snapshot in [extra], or some newer version?

Old 04-18-2010, 10:21 AM
Jan de Groot

On Sat, 2010-04-17 at 23:41 -0400, Ray Kohler wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 4, 2010 at 4:56 PM, Jan de Groot <jan@jgc.homeip.net> wrote:
> > Things todo before this merges to extra:
> > - Fix xf86-video-siliconmotion, xf86-video-unichrome, xf86-video-nouveau
>
> I'm curious as to what this means. In particular, what's broken with
> nouveau? Does it not compile, or not work properly? And is this with
> the source snapshot in [extra], or some newer version?

With nouveau, every update to libdrm usually requires changes in
nouveau. I haven't tried the current version of nouveau with libdrm
2.4.20.

Old 04-18-2010, 11:19 AM
Xavier Chantry

On Sun, Apr 18, 2010 at 12:21 PM, Jan de Groot <jan@jgc.homeip.net> wrote:
> On Sat, 2010-04-17 at 23:41 -0400, Ray Kohler wrote:
>> On Sun, Apr 4, 2010 at 4:56 PM, Jan de Groot <jan@jgc.homeip.net> wrote:
>> > Things todo before this merges to extra:
>> > - Fix xf86-video-siliconmotion, xf86-video-unichrome, xf86-video-nouveau
>>
>> I'm curious as to what this means. In particular, what's broken with
>> nouveau? Does it not compile, or not work properly? And is this with
>> the source snapshot in [extra], or some newer version?
>
> With nouveau, every update to libdrm usually requires changes in
> nouveau. I haven't tried the current version of nouveau with libdrm
> 2.4.20.

Btw the nouveau_class.h dependency from libdrm is gone now.
It's actually the latest change in git, made last week :
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/nouveau/xf86-video-nouveau/commit/?id=4063616938f76af8028491276039d422c0782b1b

That should make things easier in the future.