-   -   included features/deps in packages (http://www.linux-archive.org/archlinux-development/350476-included-features-deps-packages.html)

Dale Blount 04-01-2010 05:47 PM

included features/deps in packages

Guys,

It has come to my attention that we're not very consistent in which
features/deps we compile into programs. The latest case I've seen is
proftpd. Proftpd doesn't include mysql/postgres support but does
include ldap/ssl.

Quite a few other packages include libmysqlclient/postgresql-libs
already so it's my opinion that they should be included. I'd venture to
say 90% of my workstations have those 2 DB libraries already, and 100%
of my servers as they all run postfix which already requires both.

Bug report to comment on as well: http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/18876

Do we have an official stance as to which packages are OK to include in
most things? It seems to me it's a developer by developer basis on what
gets included now.

Thoughts?

Dale

Ionut Biru 04-01-2010 05:50 PM

included features/deps in packages

It has come to my attention that we're not very consistent in which
features/deps we compile into programs. The latest case I've seen is
proftpd. Proftpd doesn't include mysql/postgres support but does
include ldap/ssl.

Quite a few other packages include libmysqlclient/postgresql-libs
already so it's my opinion that they should be included. I'd venture to
say 90% of my workstations have those 2 DB libraries already, and 100%
of my servers as they all run postfix which already requires both.

Bug report to comment on as well: http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/18876

Do we have an official stance as to which packages are OK to include in
most things? It seems to me it's a developer by developer basis on what
gets included now.

Thoughts?

Dale

if you need it, then add support for it.

--
Ionut

Andreas Radke 04-01-2010 09:02 PM

included features/deps in packages

Am Thu, 01 Apr 2010 13:47:43 -0400
schrieb Dale Blount <dale@archlinux.org>:

> Do we have an official stance as to which packages are OK to include
> in most things? It seems to me it's a developer by developer basis
> on what gets included now.
>
> Thoughts?
>

> Dale

Important features should be included. Features of less interest may
leave up for community ABS self builds.

-Amdy