FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > ArchLinux > ArchLinux Development

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 04-01-2010, 01:05 AM
Pierre Schmitz
 
Default broken due to openssl and heimdal rebuilds

Hi all,

this is a warning for [testing] users not to update until the upcoming
openssl/heimdal rebuilds are done. This will break a lot of important
packages. I am bootstrapping openssl and rebuild the most imporant packages
like pacman atm. I'll send another mail to the openssl-1.0.0 thread when
you can start rebuilding.

Greetings,

Pierre

--
Pierre Schmitz, https://users.archlinux.de/~pierre
 
Old 04-06-2010, 08:22 PM
Dan McGee
 
Default broken due to openssl and heimdal rebuilds

On Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 3:15 PM, Thomas Bächler <thomas@archlinux.org> wrote:
> Am 01.04.2010 03:05, schrieb Pierre Schmitz:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> this is a warning for [testing] users not to update until the upcoming
>> openssl/heimdal rebuilds are done. This will break a lot of important
>> packages. I am bootstrapping openssl and rebuild the most imporant packages
>> like pacman atm. I'll send another mail to the openssl-1.0.0 thread when
>> you can start rebuilding.
>
> Upgrading still fails: pacman itself works after the small upgrade. But
> all post-install scripts in the -Syu that use vercmp are broken. For
> example, kernel26 post-install failed on a -Syu for me.

I'm trying to figure out how this happens. pacman and vercmp should
have idential link libraries, so if one works, the other should (and
if one doesn't, the other shouldn't).

Did you have pacman in SyncFirst, and did you do that?

-Dan
 
Old 04-07-2010, 04:04 AM
Dan McGee
 
Default broken due to openssl and heimdal rebuilds

On Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 10:36 PM, Pierre Schmitz <pierre@archlinux.de> wrote:
> On Tue, 6 Apr 2010 15:22:02 -0500, Dan McGee <dpmcgee@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 3:15 PM, Thomas Bächler <thomas@archlinux.org>
>>> Upgrading still fails: pacman itself works after the small upgrade. But
>>> all post-install scripts in the -Syu that use vercmp are broken. For
>>> example, kernel26 post-install failed on a -Syu for me.
>>
>> I'm trying to figure out how this happens. pacman and vercmp should
>> have idential link libraries, so if one works, the other should (and
>> if one doesn't, the other shouldn't).
>
> I was able to reproduce this problem. Here it is:
>
> The first run of pacman -Syu will just update pacman which does not
> directly link to openssl. So the system will still be fine. The second run
> will update everything else. During this update openssl is updated. The
> prbolem is that libarchive and libfetch are not updated right after the new
> version of openssl is installed. This means that all install scripts
> calling vercmp will fail until the new libs are installed.
>
> This is some kind of general problem: the system may be inconsistent
> during the process of updating and install scripts will fail. In this case
> we need to make sure that libarchive and libfetch are updated right after
> openssl. This might be solved by increasing the versioned deps of pacman to
> libarchive/libfetch to their latest versions which should pull in the new
> openssl. The problem is that doing so the system is inconsistent/broken
> after the first -Syu run.

All makes sense now. I'm just afraid of the inconsistent step you
noted above, as I know I have caught myself in it before and it is
quite painful to be in.

> @Dan: you told me it might be possible to just include the needed object
> files of libalpm into vercmp, so that it does not link against it anymore;
> maybe that would be a more elegant solution. (or include the needed code on
> source level? no idea how this was implemented)

Yes, but this will not be a quick fix, but I should have something
ready for the next release that will allow us to do this.

-Dan
 
Old 04-07-2010, 04:49 AM
"Allan McRae"
 
Default broken due to openssl and heimdal rebuilds

On 07/04/10 14:42, Pierre Schmitz wrote:

On Tue, 6 Apr 2010 23:04:32 -0500, Dan McGee<dpmcgee@gmail.com> wrote:

On Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 10:36 PM, Pierre Schmitz<pierre@archlinux.de>

This is some kind of general problem: the system may be inconsistent
during the process of updating and install scripts will fail. In this
case
we need to make sure that libarchive and libfetch are updated right

after

openssl. This might be solved by increasing the versioned deps of

pacman

to
libarchive/libfetch to their latest versions which should pull in the

new

openssl. The problem is that doing so the system is inconsistent/broken
after the first -Syu run.


All makes sense now. I'm just afraid of the inconsistent step you
noted above, as I know I have caught myself in it before and it is
quite painful to be in.


I just tested what happens if I change pacman depends to
"'libarchive>=2.8.3-3' 'libfetch>=2.30-3'". You need to run -Syu twice but
everything works fine. The remaining problem is that if you use anything
else than libfetch to get your packages (e.g. wget or curl) you wont be
able to update because after the first run those apps are broken.

But I still don't see any chance to solve this in a smooth way. So I would
change the pacman package that way and post a news item and ask people to
run -Syu twice and tell them that external download programs cannot be
used.


External downloaders can be used. It just has to be done as:
pacman -Syuw
pacman -Su

Allan
 
Old 04-07-2010, 05:01 AM
"Allan McRae"
 
Default broken due to openssl and heimdal rebuilds

On 07/04/10 14:55, Pierre Schmitz wrote:

On Wed, 07 Apr 2010 14:49:19 +1000, "Allan McRae"<allan@archlinux.org>
wrote:

External downloaders can be used. It just has to be done as:
pacman -Syuw
pacman -Su


So SyncFirst is ignored when using -w?


Yeah... maybe not, but the user can choose "N" when asked.


That's even better. So, one need to
update in three simple steps then: :P
pacman -Syuw
pacman -Su
pacman -Su
 
Old 04-07-2010, 11:42 AM
Dan McGee
 
Default broken due to openssl and heimdal rebuilds

On Wed, Apr 7, 2010 at 12:01 AM, Allan McRae <allan@archlinux.org> wrote:
> On 07/04/10 14:55, Pierre Schmitz wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, 07 Apr 2010 14:49:19 +1000, "Allan McRae"<allan@archlinux.org>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> External downloaders can be used. * It just has to be done as:
>>> pacman -Syuw
>>> pacman -Su
>>
>> So SyncFirst is ignored when using -w?
>
> Yeah... maybe not, but the user can choose "N" when asked.
>
>> That's even better. So, one need to
>> update in three simple steps then: :P
>> pacman -Syuw
>> pacman -Su
>> pacman -Su

Thus the reason I didn't want those deps in there, it gets way too complex.

When we roll this whole thing out, can we just post in the news that
you should pay close attention to the output and likely will have to
`pacman -S kernel26` (and anything else that errored) if you want to
be sure things are working OK? Obviously not ideal. Especially now
that we've tied a major kernel bump to this, hmm.

-Dan
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 03:57 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org