Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   ArchLinux Development (http://www.linux-archive.org/archlinux-development/)
-   -   no signoff (http://www.linux-archive.org/archlinux-development/350010-no-signoff.html)

Andreas Radke 03-31-2010 07:41 PM

no signoff
 
Am Wed, 31 Mar 2010 19:53:57 +0200
schrieb Thomas Bächler <thomas@archlinux.org>:

> Now that Pierre fixed lirc for us (neither tpowa nor I were able to do
> it due to time constraints), here is the signoff for 2.6.33 and the
> related modules.
>
> Please sign off, so we can finally move 2.6.33.
>

The current kernel has several issues. One major are NFS lockups. A fix
is in the stable queue. This is a stopper to me.

Beside this it has sound issues on my notebook introduced by the MSI
changes. It also has KMS issues related to MSI. The KMS can be solved
by using UMS or boot option pci=nomsi.

There's a new stable release review just going. Grek has 156 patches in
review.

I think we should wait for 2.6.33.2 and maybe even longer. There's no
need to hurry. Moving the kernel will also force us to move mesa/libdrm
for new nouveau and ati drivers.

-Andy

Pierre Schmitz 03-31-2010 07:57 PM

no signoff
 
On Wed, 31 Mar 2010 21:41:52 +0200, Andreas Radke <a.radke@arcor.de>
wrote:
> Am Wed, 31 Mar 2010 19:53:57 +0200
> schrieb Thomas Bächler <thomas@archlinux.org>:
>
>> Now that Pierre fixed lirc for us (neither tpowa nor I were able to do
>> it due to time constraints), here is the signoff for 2.6.33 and the
>> related modules.
>>
>> Please sign off, so we can finally move 2.6.33.
>>
>
> The current kernel has several issues. One major are NFS lockups. A fix
> is in the stable queue. This is a stopper to me.
>
> Beside this it has sound issues on my notebook introduced by the MSI
> changes. It also has KMS issues related to MSI. The KMS can be solved
> by using UMS or boot option pci=nomsi.
>
> There's a new stable release review just going. Grek has 156 patches in
> review.
>
> I think we should wait for 2.6.33.2 and maybe even longer. There's no
> need to hurry. Moving the kernel will also force us to move mesa/libdrm
> for new nouveau and ati drivers.
>
> -Andy

It would be easier to track these issues if you open a bug report for
these and link to the upstream reports/patches.

--
Pierre Schmitz, https://users.archlinux.de/~pierre

Thomas Bächler 03-31-2010 08:03 PM

no signoff
 
Am 31.03.2010 21:41, schrieb Andreas Radke:
> I think we should wait for 2.6.33.2 and maybe even longer. There's no
> need to hurry. Moving the kernel will also force us to move mesa/libdrm
> for new nouveau and ati drivers.

That definitely won't happen, as these packages don't work at all for me
- the X server simply crashes within a few minutes.

Andreas Radke 03-31-2010 08:39 PM

no signoff
 
Am Wed, 31 Mar 2010 21:57:55 +0200
schrieb Pierre Schmitz <pierre@archlinux.de>:

>
> It would be easier to track these issues if you open a bug report for
> these and link to the upstream reports/patches.
>


http://mailman.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-dev-public/2010-March/016177.html

and

http://mailman.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-dev-public/2010-March/016267.html

https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=15626

That's why I have posted the bugs some time ago.

-Andy

Andreas Radke 03-31-2010 08:44 PM

no signoff
 
Am Wed, 31 Mar 2010 22:03:53 +0200
schrieb Thomas Bächler <thomas@archlinux.org>:

> Am 31.03.2010 21:41, schrieb Andreas Radke:
> > I think we should wait for 2.6.33.2 and maybe even longer. There's
> > no need to hurry. Moving the kernel will also force us to move
> > mesa/libdrm for new nouveau and ati drivers.
>
> That definitely won't happen, as these packages don't work at all for
> me
> - the X server simply crashes within a few minutes.
>

You cannot move the .33 kernel without the corresponding Xorg packages.
There's an Intel driver update pending that Jan wants to do. Xorg with
KMS just depends deeply on the kernel drm interface.

So far I don't know of any useful crash reports in our tracker. Neither
for Nouveau/Ati nor Intel.

And there's definitely no need to rush. The kernel and Xorg are
independent from all other rebuilds. But for sure they should be moved
before mesa7.8 and Xorg1.8 will go to testing.

-Andy

Thomas Bächler 03-31-2010 08:46 PM

no signoff
 
Am 31.03.2010 22:39, schrieb Andreas Radke:
>> It would be easier to track these issues if you open a bug report for
>> these and link to the upstream reports/patches.
>>
>
>
> http://mailman.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-dev-public/2010-March/016177.html
>
> and
>
> http://mailman.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-dev-public/2010-March/016267.html
>
> https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=15626
>
> That's why I have posted the bugs some time ago.
>
> -Andy
>

Last time I search bugs.archlinux.org for "2.6.33", there were no hits.

Andreas Radke 04-05-2010 03:17 PM

no signoff
 
With 2.6.33.2 my issues seems fixed. No nfs lockup so far. Some hardware
like my notebook may still need the pci=nomsi boot option.

Signoff x86_64 for my Ati notebook + Nouveau desktop.

-Andy


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:17 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.