Old 03-24-2010, 07:47 PM
Andreas Radke

Default upgrade path for some config files?

The current cups package is missing some configuration files that I
want to introduce with a new minor bugfix release.

The cupsd has created probably some of these files already if needed but
I want to ship empty files from now on with correct permissions like
other major distributions do. This will also solve some bugs. I've put
the files into backup array for future upgrades.

But how should I handle the initial update. pacman -S cups shows
several file conflicts because the files in the system are not under
pacman control. Can a safe upgrade done by pacman without user
interaction? If not we should probably announce it in a news that users
will have to backup the conflicting files and will have to remerge their
configuration after the update.

see my commit for cups 1.4.2-4. I'll keep it in staging for now.

-Andy

Old 03-24-2010, 10:10 PM
Pierre Schmitz

Am Mittwoch, 24. März 2010 21:47:07 schrieb Andreas Radke:
> Can a safe upgrade done by pacman without user
> interaction?

Afaik there is no way to tell pacman it should ignore file conflicts with
untracked files.

Old 03-24-2010, 10:26 PM
Dan McGee

On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 3:47 PM, Andreas Radke <a.radke@arcor.de> wrote:
> The current cups package is missing some configuration files that I
> want to introduce with a new minor bugfix release.
>
> The cupsd has created probably some of these files already if needed but
> I want to ship empty files from now on with correct permissions like
> other major distributions do. This will also solve some bugs. I've put
> the files into backup array for future upgrades.
>
> But how should I handle the initial update. pacman -S cups shows
> several file conflicts because the files in the system are not under
> pacman control. Can a safe upgrade done by pacman without user
> interaction? If not we should probably announce it in a news that users
> will have to backup the conflicting files and will have to remerge their
> configuration after the update.
>
> see my commit for cups 1.4.2-4. I'll keep it in staging for now.

pacman -Sf cups will be, for most definitions, safe. pacman will move
any conflicting files to .pacorig and the user will then have to
handle them accordingly.

-Dan

Old 03-25-2010, 08:25 AM
Allan McRae

[...]

Are we having an announcement made for this? It is not a usual upgrade.

Allan

Old 03-25-2010, 09:48 AM
Andreas Radke

Am Thu, 25 Mar 2010 19:25:19 +1000
schrieb Allan McRae <allan@archlinux.org>:

> > pacman -Sf cups will be, for most definitions, safe. pacman will
> > move any conflicting files to .pacorig and the user will then have
> > to handle them accordingly.
> >

> Are we having an announcement made for this? It is not a usual
> upgrade.
>
> Allan

[2010-03-25 08:24] warning: /etc/cups/printers.conf saved as /etc/cups/printers.conf.pacsave
[2010-03-25 08:24] warning: /etc/cups/classes.conf saved as /etc/cups/classes.conf.pacsave

Nothing gets lost. http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=731149 - there's help for our users.
I'll have an eye on it.

If you think an announcement is needed please drop a small note that pacman -Sf cups is needed this time.

-Andy

Old 03-25-2010, 11:11 AM
Allan McRae

pacman -Sf cups will be, for most definitions, safe. pacman will
move any conflicting files to .pacorig and the user will then have
to handle them accordingly.

Are we having an announcement made for this? It is not a usual
upgrade.

Allan

[2010-03-25 08:24] warning: /etc/cups/printers.conf saved as /etc/cups/printers.conf.pacsave
[2010-03-25 08:24] warning: /etc/cups/classes.conf saved as /etc/cups/classes.conf.pacsave

Nothing gets lost. http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=731149 - there's help for our users.
I'll have an eye on it.

If you think an announcement is needed please drop a small note that pacman -Sf cups is needed this time.

We are at two forums posts and one bug report so far... so a news
announcement might be helpful.

Allan

Old 03-25-2010, 12:12 PM
Andreas Radke

Am Thu, 25 Mar 2010 22:11:17 +1000
schrieb Allan McRae <allan@archlinux.org>:

> We are at two forums posts and one bug report so far... so a news
> announcement might be helpful.
>
> Allan

quickly done without a draft. feel free to fix typos or make it more
clear.

-Andy

Old 03-25-2010, 12:18 PM
Allan McRae

We are at two forums posts and one bug report so far... so a news
announcement might be helpful.

quickly done without a draft. feel free to fix typos or make it more
clear.

Great. I made some clarity changes.

Allan