Old 03-23-2010, 09:49 PM
Pierre Schmitz

Default Removing *.db.tar.gz.old files?

Hi,

I am just wondering if we really need those *.old backup files that the
dbscripts create. Even if something really went wrong. the old file most
likely wont match the package set anyway and we could easily recreate it using
repo-add.

So, any objection to remove those files and their creation from dbscripts?

Old 03-23-2010, 09:55 PM
Aaron Griffin

On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 4:49 PM, Pierre Schmitz <pierre@archlinux.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am just wondering if we really need those *.old backup files that the
> dbscripts create. Even if something really went wrong. the old file most
> likely wont match the package set anyway and we could easily recreate it using
> repo-add.
>
> So, any objection to remove those files and their creation from dbscripts?

Sounds like a good idea to me. I think keeping them around is moot now
that we move things to package-cleanup anyway. A fix for anything
going wrong would be to re-add something from package-cleanup

Old 03-24-2010, 04:23 PM
Pierre Schmitz

Am Dienstag, 23. März 2010 23:55:23 schrieb Aaron Griffin:
> > So, any objection to remove those files and their creation from
> > dbscripts?
>
> Sounds like a good idea to me. I think keeping them around is moot now
> that we move things to package-cleanup anyway. A fix for anything
> going wrong would be to re-add something from package-cleanup

Just noted that the backup files are actually created by repo-add.

Old 03-24-2010, 04:32 PM
Aaron Griffin

On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 11:23 AM, Pierre Schmitz <pierre@archlinux.de> wrote:
> Am Dienstag, 23. März 2010 23:55:23 schrieb Aaron Griffin:
>> > So, any objection to remove those files and their creation from
>> > dbscripts?
>>
>> Sounds like a good idea to me. I think keeping them around is moot now
>> that we move things to package-cleanup anyway. A fix for anything
>> going wrong would be to re-add something from package-cleanup
>
> Just noted that the backup files are actually created by repo-add.

Right, but when moving out of the temp folder, we move "db.*" or
something to that effect, which moves all files. We can change that to
move *only* the db.tar.gz if you like

Old 03-24-2010, 04:36 PM
Pierre Schmitz

Am Mittwoch, 24. März 2010 18:32:17 schrieb Aaron Griffin:
> > Just noted that the backup files are actually created by repo-add.
>
> Right, but when moving out of the temp folder, we move "db.*" or
> something to that effect, which moves all files. We can change that to
> move only the db.tar.gz if you like

Ah of course, that should do it.

Old 03-24-2010, 04:58 PM
Dan McGee

On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 5:49 PM, Pierre Schmitz <pierre@archlinux.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am just wondering if we really need those *.old backup files that the
> dbscripts create. Even if something really went wrong. the old file most
> likely wont match the package set anyway and we could easily recreate it using
> repo-add.
>
> So, any objection to remove those files and their creation from dbscripts?

So yes, these are created by repo-add as you noted. I don't have any
objection from removing them from dbscripts, but for sane usages of
repo-add these backup files are fine. By "sane", I mean all operations
are batched into one go; e.g. adding 3 packages at once.

I think Aaron has the right idea though and just don't copy the old
files out of the temp directory.

-Dan