Old 03-23-2010, 02:47 PM
Firmicus

Default Switching to xz compression for new packages

On 23/03/2010 15:24, Pierre Schmitz wrote:

as people keep asking me about this it a news item seems still to be a
good idea.

Looks fine to me!

About a month ago we updated our tools to support packages that are
compressed with the xz format, also known as LZMA2.

Perhaps add link to http://tukaani.org/xz/ ?

Compared to gzip this will
decrease package size significantly; about 30% smaller or even more depending on
the data.

If you want to compress your packages with the new format change the
"PKGEXT" variable in the makepkg.conf of your build environment to
'.pkg.tar.xz'. Our tools like dbscripts, devtools, namcap and of course
pacman are able to process these packages. If you use any custom scripts
which match "*.pkg.tar.gz" files, make sure to change the pattern to
"*.pkg.tar.*".

To allow a smooth update for older installations pacman,
pacman-mirrorlist, libarchive, libfetch and xz-utils are kept in gz format.

=> To allow a smooth update for older installations, for the time being the packages
pacman, pacman-mirrorlist, libarchive, libfetch and xz-utils are kept with gz compression.

(This is achieved by adding "PKGEXT='.pkg.tat.gz'" to their PKGBUILDs)

s/tat/tar/