-   -   Switching to xz compression for new packages (http://www.linux-archive.org/archlinux-development/345755-switching-xz-compression-new-packages.html)

Pierre Schmitz 03-23-2010 01:24 PM

Switching to xz compression for new packages

Hi all,

as people keep asking me about this it a news item seems still to be a
good
idea.
--
About a month ago we updated our tools to support packages that are
compressed

If you want to compress your packages with the new format change the
"PKGEXT" variable in the makepkg.conf of your build environment to
'.pkg.tar.xz'. Our tools like dbscripts, devtools, namcap and of course
pacman are able to process these packages. If you use any custom scripts
which match "*.pkg.tar.gz" files, make sure to change the pattern to
"*.pkg.tar.*".

To allow a smooth update for older installations pacman,
pacman-mirrorlist, libarchive, libfetch and xz-utils are kept in gz format.
(This is achieved by adding "PKGEXT='.pkg.tat.gz'" to their PKGBUILDs)

Aaron Griffin 03-23-2010 05:02 PM

On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 8:24 AM, Pierre Schmitz <pierre@archlinux.de> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> as people keep asking me about this it a news item seems still to be a
> good
> idea.
> If you want to compress your packages with the new format change the
> "PKGEXT" variable in the makepkg.conf of your build environment to
> '.pkg.tar.xz'. Our tools like dbscripts, devtools, namcap and of course
> pacman are able to process these packages. If you use any custom scripts
> which match "*.pkg.tar.gz" files, make sure to change the pattern to
> "*.pkg.tar.*".
>
> To allow a smooth update for older installations pacman,
> pacman-mirrorlist, libarchive, libfetch and xz-utils are kept in gz format.
> (This is achieved by adding "PKGEXT='.pkg.tat.gz'" to their PKGBUILDs)
> --

Seems good, I guess the only thing I would add is something like:

"At this time, all Developers and Trusted Users are strongly
encouraged to switch to xz format"