Old 03-15-2010, 12:09 PM
Pierre Schmitz

Default openssh 5.4p1-3

So, there was some back and forth with openssh's init script. I rolled back to
the previous one that we had used for a long time.

We should put that one in core for now to make sure a running ssh session
doesn't get killed on a restart: http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/18611

Once this is done I'll leave it to the maintainer to work on a method which
also fixes http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/17138

Please sign off,

Pierre

Old 03-15-2010, 02:11 PM
Ionut Biru

So, there was some back and forth with openssh's init script. I rolled back to
the previous one that we had used for a long time.

We should put that one in core for now to make sure a running ssh session
doesn't get killed on a restart: http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/18611

Once this is done I'll leave it to the maintainer to work on a method which
also fixes http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/17138

Please sign off,

Pierre

signoff i686. i could restart the daemon without killing my session.

--
Ionut

Old 03-16-2010, 03:50 AM
Dan McGee

On Mon, Mar 15, 2010 at 8:09 AM, Pierre Schmitz <pierre@archlinux.de> wrote:
> So, there was some back and forth with openssh's init script. I rolled back to
> the previous one that we had used for a long time.
>
> We should put that one in core for now to make sure a running ssh session
> doesn't get killed on a restart: http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/18611
>
> Once this is done I'll leave it to the maintainer to work on a method which
> also fixes http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/17138
>
> Please sign off,

NACK on this. The restart doesn't work at all now, note the root sshd
process never gets kicked:

dmcgee@dublin ~
$ psfind sshd
UID PID PPID C STIME TTY TIME CMD
root 2833 1 0 Feb28 ? 00:00:00 /usr/sbin/sshd
dmcgee 9821 3033 0 23:49 pts/5 00:00:00 egrep PID|sshd
root 25956 2833 0 21:45 ? 00:00:00 sshd: dmcgee [priv]
dmcgee 25958 25956 0 21:45 ? 00:00:02 sshd: dmcgee@pts/0

dmcgee@dublin ~
$ sudo /etc/rc.d/sshd restart
:: Stopping Secure Shell Daemon

[FAIL]
:: Starting Secure Shell Daemon

[DONE]

dmcgee@dublin ~
$ psfind sshd
UID PID PPID C STIME TTY TIME CMD
root 2833 1 0 Feb28 ? 00:00:00 /usr/sbin/sshd
dmcgee 9855 3033 0 23:49 pts/5 00:00:00 egrep PID|sshd

Old 03-16-2010, 10:50 AM
Pierre Schmitz

Am Dienstag, 16. März 2010 05:50:53 schrieb Dan McGee:
> The restart doesn't work at all now

Works fine here. Don't you have the sshd.pid file?

Old 03-16-2010, 10:54 AM
Dan McGee

On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 6:50 AM, Pierre Schmitz <pierre@archlinux.de> wrote:
> Am Dienstag, 16. März 2010 05:50:53 schrieb Dan McGee:
>> The restart doesn't work at all now
>
> Works fine here. Don't you have the sshd.pid file?

dmcgee@dublin ~
$ cat /var/run/sshd.pid
cat: /var/run/sshd.pid: No such file or directory

Old 03-16-2010, 11:55 AM
Paul Mattal

Works fine here. Don't you have the sshd.pid file?

dmcgee@dublin ~
$ cat /var/run/sshd.pid
cat: /var/run/sshd.pid: No such file or directory

Weird. I just confirmed it works for me on i686, that the PID file is
created, that it's accurate through starts and stops, and that my
session persists.

- P

Old 03-16-2010, 02:25 PM
Aaron Griffin

On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 6:54 AM, Dan McGee <dpmcgee@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 6:50 AM, Pierre Schmitz <pierre@archlinux.de> wrote:
>> Am Dienstag, 16. März 2010 05:50:53 schrieb Dan McGee:
>>> The restart doesn't work at all now
>>
>> Works fine here. Don't you have the sshd.pid file?
>
> dmcgee@dublin ~
> $ cat /var/run/sshd.pid
> cat: /var/run/sshd.pid: No such file or directory

Do you happen to have /var/run mounted somewhere goofy? The original
bug which caused all this (switching to pidof) was BECAUSE the pid
file sometimes goes poof due to misc circumstances, such as tmpfs
mounts on /var and things like that

Old 03-16-2010, 02:43 PM
Dan McGee

On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 10:25 AM, Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 6:54 AM, Dan McGee <dpmcgee@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Works fine here. Don't you have the sshd.pid file?
>>
>> dmcgee@dublin ~
>> $ cat /var/run/sshd.pid
>> cat: /var/run/sshd.pid: No such file or directory
>
> Do you happen to have /var/run mounted somewhere goofy? The original
> bug which caused all this (switching to pidof) was BECAUSE the pid
> file sometimes goes poof due to misc circumstances, such as tmpfs
> mounts on /var and things like that

No, its just on the / partition. I'm at work now so I can't really
look at this more for a while, but something is amiss here and I have
the fear it isn't just my system. Has anyone else had sshd running for
more than 15 days and hasn't restarted in a while?

-Dan

Old 03-23-2010, 06:10 AM
Pierre Schmitz

Am Montag, 15. März 2010 14:09:04 schrieb Pierre Schmitz:
> Please sign off,

When should we move this to core? The current version in core is simply still
broken.

Old 03-23-2010, 11:16 AM
Dan McGee

On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 2:10 AM, Pierre Schmitz <pierre@archlinux.de> wrote:
> Am Montag, 15. März 2010 14:09:04 schrieb Pierre Schmitz:
>> Please sign off,
>
> When should we move this to core? The current version in core is simply still
> broken.

I'd say go for it; I think something got screwed up on my old system
and hopefully it isn't for anyone else. I restarted it on another box
and it was fine.

-Dan