-   -   openssh 5.3p1-4: sshd script kills all sshd processes?? (http://www.linux-archive.org/archlinux-development/338916-openssh-5-3p1-4-sshd-script-kills-all-sshd-processes.html)

Allan McRae 03-09-2010 10:21 PM

openssh 5.3p1-4: sshd script kills all sshd processes??

On 10/03/10 09:03, Thomas Bächler wrote:

What did whoever commited this smoke? It must have been very good:
http://repos.archlinux.org/wsvn/packages/?op=comp&compare[]=%2Fopenssh%2Ftrunk@59462&compare[]=%2Fopenssh%2Ftrunk@60182

Whenever you want to do /etc/rc.d/sshd restart remotely, it will kill
your ssh session. It is an important feature of openssh that all ssh
connections stay OPEN even if you kill the master server. With this
change, you will get kicked and goodbye remote server.

That looks like it was committed in response to this bug:
http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/17138

Allan McRae 03-09-2010 10:37 PM

openssh 5.3p1-4: sshd script kills all sshd processes??

What did whoever commited this smoke? It must have been very good:

http://repos.archlinux.org/wsvn/packages/?op=comp&compare[]=%2Fopenssh%2Ftrunk@59462&compare[]=%2Fopenssh%2Ftrunk@60182

Whenever you want to do /etc/rc.d/sshd restart remotely, it will kill
your ssh session. It is an important feature of openssh that all ssh
connections stay OPEN even if you kill the master server. With this
change, you will get kicked and goodbye remote server.

That looks like it was committed in response to this bug:
http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/17138

Yeah this happened to me, I didn't think twice about it thinking I did
something wrong but realized now that I have never been booted before.
Good thing I have a remote terminal.

Did this go through [testing]?

Definitely. And got more than enough signoffs...

Just wondering if we could/should have
caught this earlier; maybe we need certain things done with certain
packages to certify their OK-ness. Especially with sshd, a remote
restart is almost always a good check that covers a lot of bases.

This has sort of been bought up before. More in the context of not
needing to test every possible combination of bug fixes (instead just a
basic usage test) to signoff lesser used packages. So this would
suggest the opposite for some packages. That is getting a complicated
signoff policy.

As an aside, it took 11 days for this bug to be noticed. So considering
a package "bug free" after a week and giving autosignoffs has issues.

Allan

Allan McRae 03-09-2010 10:38 PM

openssh 5.3p1-4: sshd script kills all sshd processes??

What did whoever commited this smoke? It must have been very good:
http://repos.archlinux.org/wsvn/packages/?op=comp&compare[]=%2Fopenssh%2Ftrunk@59462&compare[]=%2Fopenssh%2Ftrunk@60182

Whenever you want to do /etc/rc.d/sshd restart remotely, it will kill
your ssh session. It is an important feature of openssh that all ssh
connections stay OPEN even if you kill the master server. With this
change, you will get kicked and goodbye remote server.

I suppose the most important thing here is: who is doing the fix?

Florian Pritz 03-10-2010 11:09 AM

On 10.03.2010 00:03, Thomas Bächler wrote:
> What did whoever commited this smoke? It must have been very good:
> http://repos.archlinux.org/wsvn/packages/?op=comp&compare[]=%2Fopenssh%2Ftrunk@59462&compare[]=%2Fopenssh%2Ftrunk@60182
>
> Whenever you want to do /etc/rc.d/sshd restart remotely, it will kill
> your ssh session. It is an important feature of openssh that all ssh
> connections stay OPEN even if you kill the master server. With this
> change, you will get kicked and goodbye remote server.

http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/18611
Aaron did the commit btw.

--
Florian Pritz -- {flo,bluewind}@server-speed.net