Old 03-09-2010, 10:03 PM
Thomas Bächler

Default openssh 5.3p1-4: sshd script kills all sshd processes??

What did whoever commited this smoke? It must have been very good:
http://repos.archlinux.org/wsvn/packages/?op=comp&compare[]=%2Fopenssh%2Ftrunk@59462&compare[]=%2Fopenssh%2Ftrunk@60182

Whenever you want to do /etc/rc.d/sshd restart remotely, it will kill
your ssh session. It is an important feature of openssh that all ssh
connections stay OPEN even if you kill the master server. With this
change, you will get kicked and goodbye remote server.

Old 03-09-2010, 10:27 PM
Dan McGee

On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 5:21 PM, Allan McRae <allan@archlinux.org> wrote:
> On 10/03/10 09:03, Thomas Bächler wrote:
>>
>> What did whoever commited this smoke? It must have been very good:
>>
>> http://repos.archlinux.org/wsvn/packages/?op=comp&compare[]=%2Fopenssh%2Ftrunk@59462&compare[]=%2Fopenssh%2Ftrunk@60182
>>
>> Whenever you want to do /etc/rc.d/sshd restart remotely, it will kill
>> your ssh session. It is an important feature of openssh that all ssh
>> connections stay OPEN even if you kill the master server. With this
>> change, you will get kicked and goodbye remote server.
>
> That looks like it was committed in response to this bug:
> http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/17138

Yeah this happened to me, I didn't think twice about it thinking I did
something wrong but realized now that I have never been booted before.
Good thing I have a remote terminal.

Did this go through [testing]? Just wondering if we could/should have
caught this earlier; maybe we need certain things done with certain
packages to certify their OK-ness. Especially with sshd, a remote
restart is almost always a good check that covers a lot of bases.

-Dan

Old 03-10-2010, 11:34 AM
Pierre Schmitz

Am Mittwoch, 10. März 2010 00:38:04 schrieb Allan McRae:
> I suppose the most important thing here is: who is doing the fix?

As I suggest Aaron is busy I'll put a new version in testing. It's interesting
why this change was committed anyway but we should provide a working version
first.

Old 03-10-2010, 02:42 PM
Aaron Griffin

On Wed, Mar 10, 2010 at 6:34 AM, Pierre Schmitz <pierre@archlinux.de> wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, 10. März 2010 00:38:04 schrieb Allan McRae:
>> I suppose the most important thing here is: *who is doing the fix?
>
> As I suggest Aaron is busy I'll put a new version in testing. It's interesting
> why this change was committed anyway but we should provide a working version
> first.

I did not test it with a standing connection, so I never caught this.
Additionally, I only committed it to trunk.

Is it possible to do a "svn log" between branches? That is, something
like to "svn log openssh/repos/core-i686 openssh/trunk" ? It might be
a good idea to get a dump of the commits from the last release as part
of the signoff email, so that things like this don't slip through the
cracks (trunk commits without a release)