Old 03-09-2010, 05:23 PM
Ionut Biru

Default wrong permission to packages

On 03/09/2010 08:22 PM, Loui Chang wrote:

On Tue 09 Mar 2010 19:06 +0200, Ionut Biru wrote:

can you change the permission of the file?
i really don't know why it has such a permission. I know that we have
a cron that fixes the permission but that package was upload
yesterday and still has it wrong.

Can you check if the cron is running?

Yeah it's running.

The cron script only specifies g+w so it could still remain unreadable
I'm not sure what the policy should be exactly, so maybe you can bring
that up on the ML but I've made that file world readable.

this is the second time when this happen and to be fair i don't know
why. The cron has:

/bin/chmod -R g+w $d/os/{any,i686,x86_64}

maybe is better if we change it do chmod 664 by default?

--
Ionut

Old 03-09-2010, 05:41 PM
Dan McGee

On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 12:23 PM, Ionut Biru <biru.ionut@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 03/09/2010 08:22 PM, Loui Chang wrote:
>>
>> On Tue 09 Mar 2010 19:06 +0200, Ionut Biru wrote:
>>>
>>> can you change the permission of the file?
>>> i really don't know why it has such a permission. I know that we have
>>> a cron that fixes the permission but that package was upload
>>> yesterday and still has it wrong.
>>>
>>> Can you check if the cron is running?
>>
>> Yeah it's running.
>>
>> The cron script only specifies g+w so it could still remain unreadable
>> I'm not sure what the policy should be exactly, so maybe you can bring
>> that up on the ML but I've made that file world readable.
>>

> this is the second time when this happen and to be fair i don't know why.
> The cron has:
>
> /bin/chmod -R g+w $d/os/{any,i686,x86_64}
>
> maybe is better if we change it do chmod 664 by default?

The cron job shouldn't do this; the dbscripts should, right? If we
just got the permissions right there we wouldn't need the cron job at
all actually.

-Dan

Old 03-09-2010, 07:04 PM
Aaron Griffin

On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 12:41 PM, Dan McGee <dpmcgee@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 12:23 PM, Ionut Biru <biru.ionut@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Yeah it's running.
>>>
>>> The cron script only specifies g+w so it could still remain unreadable
>>> I'm not sure what the policy should be exactly, so maybe you can bring
>>> that up on the ML but I've made that file world readable.
>>>

>> this is the second time when this happen and to be fair i don't know why.
>> The cron has:
>>
>> /bin/chmod -R g+w $d/os/{any,i686,x86_64}
>>
>> maybe is better if we change it do chmod 664 by default?
>
> The cron job shouldn't do this; the dbscripts should, right? If we
> just got the permissions right there we wouldn't need the cron job at
> all actually.

Yeah, the dbscripts actually DO cover this case. The cron job is there
because people sometimes manually move files around.

Are people regularly manually moving files? If so it's important to
make sure you chmod the files for other users

Old 03-09-2010, 07:43 PM
Ionut Biru

[...]

really don't know but the permission was 620 and i should ask what was
the workflow.

--
Ionut

Old 03-09-2010, 08:16 PM
Ionut Biru

[...]

ok. so he has umask 077 and because we are using rsync the permission is
persistent. maybe we should fix dbscripts and install the package with
the right permission.

--
Ionut

Old 03-09-2010, 08:58 PM
Dan McGee

On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 3:16 PM, Ionut Biru <biru.ionut@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 03/09/2010 10:43 PM, Ionut Biru wrote:

>>> Yeah, the dbscripts actually DO cover this case. The cron job is there
>>> because people sometimes manually move files around.
>>>
>>> Are people regularly manually moving files? If so it's important to
>>> make sure you chmod the files for other users
>>
>> really don't know but the permission was 620 and i should ask what was
>> the workflow.
>>

> ok. so he has umask 077 and because we are using rsync the permission is
> persistent. maybe we should fix dbscripts and install the package with the
> right permission.

Patches welcome.

-Dan

Old 03-09-2010, 11:06 PM
Chris Brannon

Dan McGee wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 3:16 PM, Ionut Biru wrote:
*SNIP*
>> ok. so he has umask 077 and because we are using rsync the permission is
>> persistent. maybe we should fix dbscripts and install the package with the
>> right permission.
>
> Patches welcome.
>
> -Dan

Hi,
I'm the offender in this case. The file had permissions of 0600. When
I used communitypkg to upload it, rsync preserved those permissions.
My next message will have a patch for dbscripts. Hopefully, my proposed
fix isn't too naive.

-- Chris