Old 03-06-2010, 04:12 PM
Dieter Plaetinck

Default Automatic LVM assembly - call for testers

On Sat, 06 Mar 2010 15:08:43 +0100
Thomas Bächler <thomas@archlinux.org> wrote:

> Traditionally, LVM is assembled by running "vgchange -ay" manually.
> That has several problems, especially if one of the physical volumes
> is missing when the VG was supposed to be assembled. This has been
> experienced by people who use LVM on USB storage for their root
> device.
>
> I came up with a way of assembling LVM automatically through udev: A
> udev rule combined with a short shell script waits until all required
> physical volumes have been detected, then assembles the volume group
> in the background. This also works when adding a removable device to
> the system at any time.

If the new system has to "wait until all needed PV's are there and then
do foo", why can't we do "wait until all needed PV's are there and then
do vgchange -ay" ? or is that what this approach does? i'm not sure
what you mean with "assemble volume group in the background"

Dieter