Old 03-03-2010, 01:59 AM
Giovanni Scafora

Default Updating packages that you do not maintain - Was: samba 3.5.0 bump

2010/3/3, Allan McRae <allan@archlinux.org>:
> This is my take on the issues:
>
> 1) If a package is an orphan, then no-one cares much about it and anybody
> should feel free to update or fix it.
>
> 2) If a package is maintained by a less active dev (we all have a fair idea
> who they are) and needs a _minor_ version bump, go ahead. For _major_ bumps,
> send them an email first. From my experience, even the ones who are not so
> active in packaging these days respond fairly quickly to emails.
>
> 3) If a package has a bug report that has not been dealt with in a long
> time and the maintainer has not put a negative comment against the fix, fell
> free to implement it. Of course, do not blindly assume bug reporters are
> correct. In particular, not all feature requests should be implemented...
>
> 4) If a package is maintained by an active dev and you still can not wait
> for them to update/fix it, send them an email. If they are losing interest
> in the package, it might even be offered for you to maintain.
>
> 5) TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOUR PACKAGING. Do not touch packages that you
> are unprepared to be assigned bugs reports from. Even minor upstream
> updates can result in issues. If your update breaks something, be prepared
> to fix it or downgrade the package.
>
> Of course, large rebuilds are an "all hands on deck" situation and we are
> all encouraged to rebuild whatever we can.
>
> Finally, get to know you other devs. This is one of the advantages of the
> fairly small team we have. I have a fair idea whose packages I can
> update/fix without them having any issues about it; whose packages I should
> ask first; and whose packages I would not touch with a 10 foot pole. And
> some devs cover all those categories depending on the package.

Thanks a lot for your contribution, Allan.
In the future, I will follow very carefully the above simple five rules.

--
Arch Linux Developer
http://www.archlinux.org

Old 03-03-2010, 05:21 AM
Tobias Powalowski

> Thanks a lot for your contribution, Allan.
> In the future, I will follow very carefully the above simple five rules.
I appreciate your help on doing rebuilds on .so version bumps very much and on
other programs. I was quite shocked about putting samba directly to extra.
Well no looking back, time to get the bugs fixed.
umount.cifs is now restored in -2 package.
Seems there are more bugs opened on bugtracker, I don't have time to look into
them until the weekend.
If anyone has time and fun feel free to to look into them.

greetings
tpowa
--
Tobias Powalowski