Old 03-02-2010, 12:06 PM
Dan McGee

Default Versioned dependency fun...

On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 6:08 AM, Pierre Schmitz <pierre@archlinux.de> wrote:
> Am Dienstag, 2. März 2010 04:17:21 schrieb Allan McRae:
>> Hmmm...
>>
>> *> pacman -U libjpeg-8a-1-i686.pkg.tar.xz

>> checking dependencies...
>> error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
>>
>> :: ghostscript: requires libjpeg>=8
>> :: imlib2: requires libjpeg>=8
>> :: jasper: requires libjpeg>=8
>> :: libdjvu: requires libjpeg>=8

>> To avoid this, I will be renumbering it to libjpeg-8.0.1 (which is the
>> soname version).
>>
>> Allan
>
> and here we have another reason to punish anybody using versioned
> dependencies. ;-) (of course upstream needs to be hit, too)

Blaming this on versioned deps is punishing the messenger; this
package wouldn't upgrade without a force option either because the
same version comparison is used everywhere...

-Dan

Old 03-02-2010, 05:32 PM
Pierre Schmitz

Am Dienstag, 2. März 2010 14:06:57 schrieb Dan McGee:
> > and here we have another reason to punish anybody using versioned
> > dependencies. ;-) (of course upstream needs to be hit, too)
>
> Blaming this on versioned deps is punishing the messenger; this
> package wouldn't upgrade without a force option either because the
> same version comparison is used everywhere...

You did notice the smiley? I know this wasn't fair in this case and not too
serious. But anyway, I would prefer add the force flag and add the (stupid)
upstream version instead of making your own up.

Old 03-02-2010, 09:40 PM
Xavier Chantry

On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 7:32 PM, Pierre Schmitz <pierre@archlinux.de> wrote:
> Am Dienstag, 2. März 2010 14:06:57 schrieb Dan McGee:
>> > and here we have another reason to punish anybody using versioned
>> > dependencies. ;-) (of course upstream needs to be hit, too)
>>
>> Blaming this on versioned deps is punishing the messenger; this
>> package wouldn't upgrade without a force option either because the
>> same version comparison is used everywhere...
>
> You did notice the smiley? I know this wasn't fair in this case and not too
> serious. But anyway, I would prefer add the force flag and add the (stupid)
> upstream version instead of making your own up.

The force flag is a big ugly crap.
I find sanitizing upstream version to be much.. saner.
Or figure out a way to have both a sane version for pacman and the
insane upstream version.