Old 03-02-2010, 03:39 AM
"Allan McRae"

Default initscripts hack-a-thon?

Hi all,

Looking in the bug tracker, there are 35 bug reports for initscripts.
That represents about 10% of bugs...

I'm not really sure who is in charge of initscripts these days, but how
about a group of use gets together on IRC some time in the future and
try getting through a bunch of these bug reports?

Allan

Old 03-02-2010, 03:55 AM
"Daniel J Griffiths (Ghost1227)"

On 03/02/10 at 02:39pm, Allan McRae wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Looking in the bug tracker, there are 35 bug reports for
> initscripts. That represents about 10% of bugs...
>
> I'm not really sure who is in charge of initscripts these days, but
> how about a group of use gets together on IRC some time in the
> future and try getting through a bunch of these bug reports?
>
> Allan

More than happy to help.

Old 03-02-2010, 04:01 AM
Dan McGee

On Mon, Mar 1, 2010 at 10:55 PM, Daniel J Griffiths (Ghost1227)
<ghost1227@archlinux.us> wrote:
> On 03/02/10 at 02:39pm, Allan McRae wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Looking in the bug tracker, there are 35 bug reports for
>> initscripts. *That represents about 10% of bugs...
>>
>> I'm not really sure who is in charge of initscripts these days, but
>> how about a group of use gets together on IRC some time in the
>> future and try getting through a bunch of these bug reports?
>>
>> Allan
>>

> More than happy to help.

Seems like a good idea. Can't promise my time but will try to chip in
if it happens.

-Dan

Old 03-02-2010, 04:28 AM
Gerardo Exequiel Pozzi

On Mon, Mar 1, 2010 at 10:55 PM, Daniel J Griffiths (Ghost1227)
Looking in the bug tracker, there are 35 bug reports for
initscripts. That represents about 10% of bugs...

I'm not really sure who is in charge of initscripts these days, but
how about a group of use gets together on IRC some time in the
future and try getting through a bunch of these bug reports?

Allan

More than happy to help.

Seems like a good idea. Can't promise my time but will try to chip in
if it happens.

-Dan

haha, just today, I added all [initscripts] (categorized) tasks in the
Bug Day TODO wiki page

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Bug_Day_TODO#.5Binitscripts.5D

--
Gerardo Exequiel Pozzi ( djgera )
http://www.djgera.com.ar

Old 03-02-2010, 07:25 AM
Heiko Baums

Am Tue, 02 Mar 2010 02:28:15 -0300
schrieb Gerardo Exequiel Pozzi <vmlinuz386@yahoo.com.ar>:

> haha, just today, I added all [initscripts] (categorized) tasks in
> the Bug Day TODO wiki page
> http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Bug_Day_TODO#.5Binitscripts.5D

You forgot FS#15016 (http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/15016).
It is similar to FS#11648 (http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/11648) but
quite different.

FS#15016 is for real key files on a formatted USB stick. FS#11648 is
for reading key files as raw data from a formatted or unformatted USB
stick.

Both ways are implemented in the mkinitcpio hook encrypt and should be
implemented in /etc/rc.sysinit, too.

Greetings,
Heiko

Old 03-02-2010, 07:31 AM
Heiko Baums

Am Tue, 2 Mar 2010 09:25:55 +0100
schrieb Heiko Baums <lists@baums-on-web.de>:

> FS#15016 is for real key files on a formatted USB stick. FS#11648 is
> for reading key files as raw data from a formatted or unformatted USB
> stick.

Sorry, I mixed up both FS numbers. FS#11648 is of course for real key
files on a formatted USB stick and FS#15016 is for reading key files as
raw data from a formatted or unformatted USB stick.

That FS#15016 (http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/15016) is missing in
the TODO list was correct.

Greetings,
Heiko

Old 03-02-2010, 07:39 AM
Thomas Bächler

Am 02.03.2010 05:39, schrieb Allan McRae:
> Hi all,
>
> Looking in the bug tracker, there are 35 bug reports for initscripts.
> That represents about 10% of bugs...
>
> I'm not really sure who is in charge of initscripts these days, but how
> about a group of use gets together on IRC some time in the future and
> try getting through a bunch of these bug reports?
>
> Allan

There's lots of stuff there I am assigned to, but I don't seem to get to
do initscripts hacking these days.

Just a remark: There are tons of patches for the encryption part, most
of which extend the crypttab format. This is a very bad idea, crypttab
is already and almost unparsable mess and adding more and more things to
it won't improve that. My original plan was to rewrite crypto support
entirely to use small and convenient config files with lots of options
(and just add backward compatibility with crypttab) - but again, I
didn't get to it.

As for the tons of networking suggestions: There's requests for very
complex things that should rather be implemented in netcfg, as it is
much better suited for it (different bonding models for example just
don't fit into the initscripts setup). Personally, I would like to
remove everything but basic ethernet support from initscripts (that
would also include removing wireless, but some people were too strictly
against that). What I am saying is, investing time into integrating more
network stuff into initscripts is time wasted, as complex setups like
bonding or bridging can be much better implemented in netcfg and the
work should be spent on that instead.

Just my 2 cents, no idea when I get to actively work on initscripts
again though.

Old 03-02-2010, 09:40 AM
Pierre Schmitz

Am Dienstag, 2. März 2010 09:39:19 schrieb Thomas Bächler:
> Personally, I would like to
> remove everything but basic ethernet support from initscripts (that
> would also include removing wireless, but some people were too strictly
> against that). What I am saying is, investing time into integrating more
> network stuff into initscripts is time wasted, as complex setups like
> bonding or bridging can be much better implemented in netcfg and the
> work should be spent on that instead.

I second this. We should concentrate on netcfg for network setup in future.
Initscripts will just get too complicated (e.g. they don't support ipv& atm)
while the same functionality is already provided by another package n core.

I would even completely remove the network and netfs deamon from initscripts;
but I guess there wont be much support for this. :-)

Old 03-02-2010, 09:29 PM
Xavier Chantry

On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 11:40 AM, Pierre Schmitz <pierre@archlinux.de> wrote:
> Am Dienstag, 2. März 2010 09:39:19 schrieb Thomas Bächler:
>> Personally, I would like to
>> remove everything but basic ethernet support from initscripts (that
>> would also include removing wireless, but some people were too strictly
>> against that). What I am saying is, investing time into integrating more
>> network stuff into initscripts is time wasted, as complex setups like
>> bonding or bridging can be much better implemented in netcfg and the
>> work should be spent on that instead.
>
> I second this. We should concentrate on netcfg for network setup in future.
> Initscripts will just get too complicated (e.g. they don't support ipv& atm)
> while the same functionality is already provided by another package n core.
>
> I would even completely remove the network and netfs deamon from initscripts;
> but I guess there wont be much support for this. :-)

I was saying that already back in 2007, took me just one minute to
find the post
http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=274397#p274397

Here is what iphitus answered :
"Profiles came after INTERFACES, and INTERFACES will definitely not be
removed. Many people still find them useful, particularly on desktops
with static configurations - myself even. I do intend to increase the
code share between these two, as there's a lot of duplication already,
but that'll come later."

Old 03-03-2010, 04:19 AM
"James Rayner"

On Tue, 02 Mar 2010 23:29 +0100, "Xavier Chantry"
<chantry.xavier@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 11:40 AM, Pierre Schmitz <pierre@archlinux.de>
> wrote:
> > Am Dienstag, 2. März 2010 09:39:19 schrieb Thomas Bächler:
> >> Personally, I would like to
> >> remove everything but basic ethernet support from initscripts (that
> >> would also include removing wireless, but some people were too strictly
> >> against that). What I am saying is, investing time into integrating more
> >> network stuff into initscripts is time wasted, as complex setups like
> >> bonding or bridging can be much better implemented in netcfg and the
> >> work should be spent on that instead.
> >
> > I second this. We should concentrate on netcfg for network setup in future.
> > Initscripts will just get too complicated (e.g. they don't support ipv& atm)
> > while the same functionality is already provided by another package n core.
> >
> > I would even completely remove the network and netfs deamon from initscripts;
> > but I guess there wont be much support for this. :-)
> >

> I was saying that already back in 2007, took me just one minute to
> find the post
> http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=274397#p274397
>
> Here is what iphitus answered :
> "Profiles came after INTERFACES, and INTERFACES will definitely not be
> removed. Many people still find them useful, particularly on desktops
> with static configurations - myself even. I do intend to increase the
> code share between these two, as there's a lot of duplication already,
> but that'll come later."

Still think that too, though code-share is not really practical now.
rc.d/network has it's place as it is so simple - I still use it on my
desktop.

I agree with restraining rc.d/network. The wireless support is very
outdated already. Bridging/bonding can lead to complexities that
rc.d/network is too simple to handle, which is reflected in some of the
bug reports.