-   -   Versioned dependency fun... (http://www.linux-archive.org/archlinux-development/334298-versioned-dependency-fun.html)

"Allan McRae" 03-02-2010 02:17 AM

Versioned dependency fun...

Hmmm...

> pacman -U libjpeg-8a-1-i686.pkg.tar.xz
checking dependencies...
error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
:: ghostscript: requires libjpeg>=8
:: imlib2: requires libjpeg>=8
:: jasper: requires libjpeg>=8
:: libdjvu: requires libjpeg>=8

To avoid this, I will be renumbering it to libjpeg-8.0.1 (which is the
soname version).

Allan

Dan McGee 03-02-2010 02:49 AM

Versioned dependency fun...

On Mon, Mar 1, 2010 at 9:17 PM, Allan McRae <allan@archlinux.org> wrote:
> Hmmm...
>
>> pacman -U libjpeg-8a-1-i686.pkg.tar.xz
> checking dependencies...
> error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
> :: ghostscript: requires libjpeg>=8
> :: imlib2: requires libjpeg>=8
> :: jasper: requires libjpeg>=8
> :: libdjvu: requires libjpeg>=8
>
> To avoid this, I will be renumbering it to libjpeg-8.0.1 (which is the
> soname version).

This is for alpha, beta, etc. purposes. I think I broke this once thus
the reason I added the small vercmp test suite.

# from the manpage
runtest 1.0a 1.0alpha -1
runtest 1.0alpha 1.0b -1
runtest 1.0b 1.0beta -1
runtest 1.0beta 1.0rc -1
runtest 1.0rc 1.0 -1

# going crazy? alpha-dotted versions
runtest 1.5.a 1.5 1
runtest 1.5.b 1.5.a 1
runtest 1.5.1 1.5.b 1

-Dan

"Allan McRae" 03-02-2010 02:59 AM

Versioned dependency fun...

error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
:: ghostscript: requires libjpeg>=8
:: imlib2: requires libjpeg>=8
:: jasper: requires libjpeg>=8
:: libdjvu: requires libjpeg>=8

To avoid this, I will be renumbering it to libjpeg-8.0.1 (which is the
soname version).

This is for alpha, beta, etc. purposes. I think I broke this once thus
the reason I added the small vercmp test suite.

I know. I was just pointing out some fun with package versioning. I
did not even think about that issue until I tried installing the package.

If only the collective upstream would figure out haw to version software
consistently...

Allan

Pierre Schmitz 03-02-2010 11:08 AM

Versioned dependency fun...

Am Dienstag, 2. März 2010 04:17:21 schrieb Allan McRae:
> Hmmm...
>
> > pacman -U libjpeg-8a-1-i686.pkg.tar.xz

> checking dependencies...
> error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
>
> :: ghostscript: requires libjpeg>=8
> :: imlib2: requires libjpeg>=8
> :: jasper: requires libjpeg>=8
> :: libdjvu: requires libjpeg>=8

> To avoid this, I will be renumbering it to libjpeg-8.0.1 (which is the
> soname version).
>
> Allan

and here we have another reason to punish anybody using versioned
dependencies. ;-) (of course upstream needs to be hit, too)