Old 11-22-2007, 08:53 PM
Jan de Groot

Default Packages with files in /opt

On Thu, 2007-11-22 at 13:48 -0500, Eric Belanger wrote:
> I am not a security expert but isn't the reason that chkrootkit is
> not
> being installed in a directory in the PATH a security reason so that
> malware can't find the executables to modify/delete them? Maybe
> keeping
> it out of /usr would accomplish this better.

There's no reason to install it in a different prefix, if people have
root to your machine they can even hide it for chkrootkit if they want
by changing vital binaries or installing a kernel module that hides
processes. I made a mix of Knark and Adore LKM and succeeded to bypass
these check tools a few years ago. If you have root, you can do anything
to a system, including the disabling of cronjobs that run chkrootkit.

Another thing: whenever you suspect you have a rootkit, you make a fresh
install of chkrootkit and don't rely on a single tool, there's also
rkhunter for example.

Old 11-26-2007, 04:31 PM
"Aaron Griffin"

On Nov 22, 2007 11:21 AM, Jeff Mickey <jeff@archlinux.org> wrote:
> After reading Aaron's status report, I figured this would be an easy
> thing to take care of.
>
> Here is the script I used to find these packages:
> #!/bin/zsh
>
> dirs=('/home/ftp/core/os/i686' '/home/ftp/extra/os/i686')
>
> for dir in $dirs; do
> for pkg in `ls $dir`; do
> tar -tzf $dir/$pkg | egrep '^opt' > /dev/null
> if [[ $? < 1 ]]; then
> print $pkg
> fi
> done
> done
>
> I figured I'd post the list of packages that have /opt files. I'm
> gonna do some of these packages while I'm here on break, but if you
> see a package _you_ would rather take care of, just reply to the
> thread. I also think that filesystem should be the very last package
> that we do.. if we ever do it. It's probably best to keep it there so
> that way packages don't add and remove the /opt folder, it is always
> owned by the filesystem package.

Mind making a todolist in the dev interface? Taking into account, of
course, the xfce stuff mentioned above 8)

Old 11-26-2007, 08:14 PM
"Jeff Mickey"

On Nov 26, 2007 12:31 PM, Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Nov 22, 2007 11:21 AM, Jeff Mickey <jeff@archlinux.org> wrote:
> Mind making a todolist in the dev interface? Taking into account, of
> course, the xfce stuff mentioned above 8)

The dev interface isn't letting me make a todo list? Dale was helping
me figure this out in #archlinux-dev, we're thinking it could just be
that my user doesn't have the rights to make one.

He offered to make it for me, but I'd rather make it myself as a
learning experience, I've never used our todo interface. So if
elliott or anyone else familiar with the django code and with the
rights to adjust my permissions could do so, I'd appreciate it.

// jeff
--
. : [ + carpe diem totus tuus + ] : .

Old 11-26-2007, 08:22 PM
"Aaron Griffin"

On Nov 26, 2007 3:14 PM, Jeff Mickey <jeff@archlinux.org> wrote:
> On Nov 26, 2007 12:31 PM, Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Nov 22, 2007 11:21 AM, Jeff Mickey <jeff@archlinux.org> wrote:
> > Mind making a todolist in the dev interface? Taking into account, of
> > course, the xfce stuff mentioned above 8)
>
> The dev interface isn't letting me make a todo list? Dale was helping
> me figure this out in #archlinux-dev, we're thinking it could just be
> that my user doesn't have the rights to make one.
>
> He offered to make it for me, but I'd rather make it myself as a
> learning experience, I've never used our todo interface. So if
> elliott or anyone else familiar with the django code and with the
> rights to adjust my permissions could do so, I'd appreciate it.

You know... we were talking on jabber and I have permissions to do this 8)

You should have the ability - everyone is in a base permissions group
that has things like "make todolists" and "add news item" - does it
give you any error message?

Old 11-26-2007, 08:24 PM
"Aaron Griffin"

On Nov 26, 2007 3:22 PM, Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Nov 26, 2007 3:14 PM, Jeff Mickey <jeff@archlinux.org> wrote:
> > On Nov 26, 2007 12:31 PM, Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > On Nov 22, 2007 11:21 AM, Jeff Mickey <jeff@archlinux.org> wrote:
> > > Mind making a todolist in the dev interface? Taking into account, of
> > > course, the xfce stuff mentioned above 8)
> >
> > The dev interface isn't letting me make a todo list? Dale was helping
> > me figure this out in #archlinux-dev, we're thinking it could just be
> > that my user doesn't have the rights to make one.
> >
> > He offered to make it for me, but I'd rather make it myself as a
> > learning experience, I've never used our todo interface. So if
> > elliott or anyone else familiar with the django code and with the
> > rights to adjust my permissions could do so, I'd appreciate it.
>
> You know... we were talking on jabber and I have permissions to do this 8)
>
> You should have the ability - everyone is in a base permissions group
> that has things like "make todolists" and "add news item" - does it
> give you any error message?

I've adjusted your permissions to include todolist items. I have a
feeling the group permissions might not be working as intended.

Old 11-26-2007, 08:55 PM
"Jeff Mickey"

https://archlinux.org/todo/45/

Let's get cracking on this! I'll be doing some of it any time I think
about it, but my exam week is coming up here. The important part is
that we now have a list to work on.

Also, if there is an error as to what I have included in the list or
if I have left something off the list, reply to the thread and let me
know.

Thank you.

// jeff
--
. : [ + carpe diem totus tuus + ] : .

Old 11-27-2007, 12:31 AM
Eric Belanger

On Mon, 26 Nov 2007, Jeff Mickey wrote:

> https://archlinux.org/todo/45/
>
> Let's get cracking on this! I'll be doing some of it any time I think
> about it, but my exam week is coming up here. The important part is
> that we now have a list to work on.
>
> Also, if there is an error as to what I have included in the list or
> if I have left something off the list, reply to the thread and let me
> know.
>
> Thank you.
>
> // jeff

On the todo list, there are stand alone packages that installs in /opt/kde
(amarok, basket, etc). I think we should skip them for now and move them
out of /opt/kde at the same time as KDE. It'll be more logical and these
apps might have problems being in /usr.

As many packages include a browser plugin, it will be nice to know if
the mozilla stuff will be moved and, if so, where the new plugins directory will be.

believed to be clean.