FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor


 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 01-08-2008, 06:24 PM
"Varun Acharya"
 
Default kde4

Hi tpowa,

Since you are the resident KDE guy, I was curious as to how you're going to handle kde4 when it releases this month. Most sources say that we should consider this more of a developer release, and stability and polish can be expected only from KDE
4.1. So, a couple of questions:

1. Will you get the KDE packages earlier than the actual release date, as you always seem to do?
2. Do you plan on moving these packages to extra or testing...or maybe even unstable??

3. What naming scheme will you use? Will KDE4 packages become 'kdelibs' 'kdebase' and so on, or will kde3 packages retain that nomenclature for a while? (looking at how qt4=>qt in testing, I presume kde4=>kdelibs/kdebase). This means kde3 packages have to be rebuilt with the new naming scheme kdebase3, and of course all dependent packages with it.


I just thought I'll get the ball rolling on the inevitable confusion to follow

Thanks,
Varun
 
Old 01-08-2008, 07:26 PM
Tobias Powalowski
 
Default kde4

On Tuesday 08 January 2008 20:24:01 Varun Acharya wrote:
> Hi tpowa,
>
> Since you are the resident KDE guy, I was curious as to how you're going to
> handle kde4 when it releases this month. Most sources say that we should
> consider this more of a developer release, and stability and polish can be
> expected only from KDE 4.1. So, a couple of questions:
>
> 1. Will you get the KDE packages earlier than the actual release date, as
> you always seem to do?
> 2. Do you plan on moving these packages to extra or testing...or maybe even
> unstable??
> 3. What naming scheme will you use? Will KDE4 packages become 'kdelibs'
> 'kdebase' and so on, or will kde3 packages retain that nomenclature for a
> while? (looking at how qt4=>qt in testing, I presume
> kde4=>kdelibs/kdebase). This means kde3 packages have to be rebuilt with
> the new naming scheme kdebase3, and of course all dependent packages with
> it.
>
> I just thought I'll get the ball rolling on the inevitable confusion to
> follow
>
> Thanks,
> Varun
Hi
here the current state from my point of view:
kde4 4.0 series is pure crap for end users.
The real replacement status will hopefully come with 4.1 series.
I will not ship kde4 for extra until it's a full replacement for 3.x series.

The names should stay and a kde3/kde4 parallell mess is not worth at the
moment.

I have a full build environment here and probably i'll place it somewhere that
others can use it too. (an other repository or unstable, but with no kdelibs4
or kdebase4 name scheme!)
But it's far away from 3.x feature richness nor usability.
Monthly or every 2 months a svn snapshot of the trunk(4.1 development) would
make much more fun than the crippled 4.0 series.

greetings from kde4 kmail
tpowa
--
Tobias Powalowski
Archlinux Developer & Package Maintainer (tpowa)
http://www.archlinux.org
tpowa@archlinux.org
 
Old 01-08-2008, 07:30 PM
Damir Perisa
 
Default kde4

Tuesday 08 January 2008, Varun Acharya wrote:
| I just thought I'll get the ball rolling on the inevitable
| confusion to follow

kde4 depends on qt4 and this is waiting for pacman 3.1

the only place it can go now is testing.

after we process our stack, i would suggest to put it in unstable with
kde*4 naming... and once it gets mature enough, we can switch the
names.

- D

--
.`..`..`..`..`..`. .


><((((>

<)))><
<)))><
 
Old 01-08-2008, 07:34 PM
Tobias Powalowski
 
Default kde4

On Tuesday 08 January 2008 21:30:17 Damir Perisa wrote:
> Tuesday 08 January 2008, Varun Acharya wrote:
> | I just thought I'll get the ball rolling on the inevitable
> | confusion to follow
>
> kde4 depends on qt4 and this is waiting for pacman 3.1
>
> the only place it can go now is testing.
>
> after we process our stack, i would suggest to put it in unstable with
> kde*4 naming... and once it gets mature enough, we can switch the
> names.
>
> - D
hi

First it needs a usable state and this is not the fact right now.
and kde 4.0 series will never get a usable state it's frozen and will not get
new features anytime, 4.1 is scheduled in half a year or 9 months then it's
worth to think about a road to go with conflicts and such things not before
that.

greetings
tpowa
--
Tobias Powalowski
Archlinux Developer & Package Maintainer (tpowa)
http://www.archlinux.org
tpowa@archlinux.org
 
Old 01-08-2008, 07:38 PM
Damir Perisa
 
Default kde4

Tuesday 08 January 2008, Tobias Powalowski wrote:
| On Tuesday 08 January 2008 21:30:17 Damir Perisa wrote:
| > Tuesday 08 January 2008, Varun Acharya wrote:
| > | I just thought I'll get the ball rolling on the inevitable
| > | confusion to follow
| >
| > kde4 depends on qt4 and this is waiting for pacman 3.1
| >
| > the only place it can go now is testing.
| >
| > after we process our stack, i would suggest to put it in
| > unstable with kde*4 naming... and once it gets mature enough, we
| > can switch the names.
| >
| > - D
|
| hi

hi

| First it needs a usable state and this is not the fact right now.
| and kde 4.0 series will never get a usable state it's frozen and
| will not get new features anytime, 4.1 is scheduled in half a year
| or 9 months then it's worth to think about a road to go with
| conflicts and such things not before that.

i agree. i'm only suggesting that this kde4-devel (svn snaps) pkgs can
be put in unstable, as a place to put -devel things that someone
wants to try. this way we do not need an extra repo for them. (the
whole thing is reallly only a detail)

- D

--
.`..`..`..`..`..`. .


><((((>

<)))><
<)))><
 
Old 02-16-2008, 08:22 AM
"Vít Pelčák"
 
Default KDE4

Hi.
Coulld I ask you to add package with Czech translation of KDE4 to repository?

Thank you very much.

Regards
Vit Pelcak

--
Ubuntu-motu mailing list
Ubuntu-motu@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-motu
 
Old 02-17-2008, 10:10 AM
Jonathan Patrick Davies
 
Default KDE4

On Sat, 16 Feb 2008, V*t Pelčák wrote:

Coulld I ask you to add package with Czech translation of KDE4 to repository?


Unforatunatly, there does not appear to be any Czech translations of KDE 4.

- http://l10n.kde.org/team-infos.php?teamcode=cs

If you wish to help revive the project please see:

- http://l10n.kde.org/translation-howto/

Thanks
Jonathan--
Ubuntu-motu mailing list
Ubuntu-motu@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-motu
 
Old 11-30-2008, 03:30 PM
Martin Marques
 
Default KDE4

Is there any repo with binary rpm of KDE 4.1 for CentOS 5?
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 11-30-2008, 04:45 PM
Lee Perez
 
Default KDE4

Martin Marques wrote:

Is there any repo with binary rpm of KDE 4.1 for CentOS 5?
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos


Hi Martin,

By Googling I found 2 instances concerning KDE and CentOS. Here is the
first discussion that I found dating back to Jan. 2008:


http://centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?viewmode=threaded&order=ASC&topic_id =12135&forum=37&move=next&topic_time=1200296331

And here is the second one data Oct. 2008:

http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos/2008-October/066735.html

Hope this helps.

Lee Perez
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 11-30-2008, 05:31 PM
Kai Schaetzl
 
Default KDE4

Martin Marques wrote on Sun, 30 Nov 2008 14:30:46 -0200:

> Is there any repo with binary rpm of KDE 4.1 for CentOS 5?

please search the archives of this list for "KDE 4".

Kai

--
Kai Schtzl, Berlin, Germany
Get your web at Conactive Internet Services: http://www.conactive.com



_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 01:27 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org