Old 01-08-2008, 03:01 PM
"Dan McGee"

Default request: remove mailx from Core

On Jan 8, 2008 9:57 AM, Roman Kyrylych <roman.kyrylych@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> logrotate-3.7.5-1 no longer depends on mailx (FS#6911) and no other
> package in Core does.
> FS#4812 says that mailx should depend on smtp-forwarder as
> /usr/bin/mail calls /usr/sbin/sendmail.
> Doing this will bring an interesting situation when a package in Core
> depends on a virtual package provided by many of packages in Extra.
> I suggest we remove mailx from Core completely (after
> logrotate-3.7.5-1 will be signed off), because it's not required there
> anyway.

+1

-Dan

Old 01-08-2008, 03:04 PM
"Aaron Griffin"

On Jan 8, 2008 9:57 AM, Roman Kyrylych <roman.kyrylych@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> logrotate-3.7.5-1 no longer depends on mailx (FS#6911) and no other
> package in Core does.
> FS#4812 says that mailx should depend on smtp-forwarder as
> /usr/bin/mail calls /usr/sbin/sendmail.
> Doing this will bring an interesting situation when a package in Core
> depends on a virtual package provided by many of packages in Extra.
> I suggest we remove mailx from Core completely (after
> logrotate-3.7.5-1 will be signed off), because it's not required there
> anyway.

I'll +1 this. logrotate fails silently without a mailer installed, so
it's not critical to a functional system.

Old 01-08-2008, 04:47 PM
Eric Belanger

On Tue, 8 Jan 2008, Aaron Griffin wrote:

On Jan 8, 2008 9:57 AM, Roman Kyrylych <roman.kyrylych@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi!

logrotate-3.7.5-1 no longer depends on mailx (FS#6911) and no other
package in Core does.
FS#4812 says that mailx should depend on smtp-forwarder as
/usr/bin/mail calls /usr/sbin/sendmail.
Doing this will bring an interesting situation when a package in Core
depends on a virtual package provided by many of packages in Extra.
I suggest we remove mailx from Core completely (after
logrotate-3.7.5-1 will be signed off), because it's not required there
anyway.

I'll +1 this. logrotate fails silently without a mailer installed, so
it's not critical to a functional system.

Once logrotate won't depends on mailx anymore, no other packages in the
repo (core and extra) will require mailx. Can we simply remove it
completely from the repo? Or is it one of these packages that we want to
keep in the repo? As I have adopted mailx because it was an orphaned core
package, is there anyone who are more interest than me in maintaining this
package?

believed to be clean.

Old 01-08-2008, 05:03 PM
"Aaron Griffin"

On Jan 8, 2008 11:47 AM, Eric Belanger <belanger@astro.umontreal.ca> wrote:
> Once logrotate won't depends on mailx anymore, no other packages in the
> repo (core and extra) will require mailx. Can we simply remove it
> completely from the repo? Or is it one of these packages that we want to
> keep in the repo? As I have adopted mailx because it was an orphaned core
> package, is there anyone who are more interest than me in maintaining this
> package?

I *think* it's optional in a few other distros. I don't see why it
needs to be part of the base system. Additionally, heirloom mailx is
supposed to be better (there's a bug report on it)

I will maintain it if you don't want it. It's one of those apps that I
would use if I had to, but don't use otherwise.

Old 01-09-2008, 10:51 PM
Eric Belanger

Once logrotate won't depends on mailx anymore, no other packages in the
repo (core and extra) will require mailx. Can we simply remove it
completely from the repo? Or is it one of these packages that we want to
keep in the repo? As I have adopted mailx because it was an orphaned core
package, is there anyone who are more interest than me in maintaining this
package?

I *think* it's optional in a few other distros. I don't see why it
needs to be part of the base system. Additionally, heirloom mailx is
supposed to be better (there's a bug report on it)

I will maintain it if you don't want it. It's one of those apps that I
would use if I had to, but don't use otherwise.

OK, it's all yours then.

believed to be clean.