Old 01-08-2008, 07:11 AM
Thomas Bächler

Default nvidia/nvidia-utils 169.07

I added new nvidia drivers 169.07 for i686 and x86_64 to testing. My
nvidia machine is out of order for now, so please sign off both
architectures and as many GPUs as possible.

I am also interested in signoffs from users, so please don't hesitate to

Old 01-08-2008, 08:00 AM
Jesse Young

On Tue, Jan 08, 2008 at 09:11:34 +0100, Thomas Bächler wrote:
> I added new nvidia drivers 169.07 for i686 and x86_64 to testing. My
> nvidia machine is out of order for now, so please sign off both
> architectures and as many GPUs as possible.
>
> I am also interested in signoffs from users, so please don't hesitate to

everything looks fine on i686, except for this error on upgrade,
I don't know how pacman lost track of it, unless I was installinng
my own nvidia* a long time ago.
nvidia-utils: /usr/lib/libXvMCNVIDIA_dynamic.so.1 exists in filesystem

lspci:
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV34 [GeForce FX 5200] (rev a1)

Old 01-08-2008, 08:54 AM
Thomas Bächler

Jesse Young schrieb:
> everything looks fine on i686, except for this error on upgrade,
> I don't know how pacman lost track of it, unless I was installinng
> my own nvidia* a long time ago.
> nvidia-utils: /usr/lib/libXvMCNVIDIA_dynamic.so.1 exists in filesystem

This is a symlink that was created by ldconfig locally on your system as
it was missing in the package in the past. I don't know how to work
around this problem, as file-conflicts are checked before I have a
chance to delete it, I guess everyone has to -Sf the package.

> lspci:
> 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV34 [GeForce FX 5200] (rev a1)

Thanks, that is the one I could have tested as well.

Old 01-08-2008, 09:21 AM
Johannes Held

Hello out there

On Tue, Jan 08, 2008 at 09:11:34 +0100, Thomas Bächler wrote:
> I added new nvidia drivers 169.07 for i686 and x86_64 to testing. My
> nvidia machine is out of order for now, so please sign off both
> architectures and as many GPUs as possible.
>
> I am also interested in signoffs from users, so please don't
> hesitate to reply to this message to the arch-general list!
I can try it today.. but with new nvidias I have always a simple
problem with libswf (or sth. similar). I do the symlink by hand than..

But for testing it's nothing more than
pacman -Sy testing/nvidia ?

--
Gruß, Johannes
Täglich http://blog.hehejo.de und du fühlst dich gut.

http://cryptocd.eduforge.org/online_version

Old 01-08-2008, 10:32 AM
"Varun Acharya"

Same conflict error for me brain0, (x86_64)

error: could not prepare transaction
error: failed to commit transaction (conflicting files)
nvidia-utils: /usr/lib/libXvMCNVIDIA_dynamic.so.1 exists in filesystem

But more importantly, X fails to start up... here are the last few lines from Xorg.0.log

(II) Initializing built-in extension COMPOSITE
(II) Initializing built-in extension DAMAGE
(II) Initializing built-in extension XEVIE

(II) Initializing extension GLX

Backtrace:
0: /usr/bin/X(xf86SigHandler+0x6a) [0x49580a]
1: /lib/libc.so.6 [0x2ba54b0aa120]
2: /usr/lib64/tls/libnvidia-tls.so.1 [0x2ba54cddd65e]

Fatal server error:

Caught signal 11.* Server aborting

I'm just faced with a black screen. There's no hard lock, and I can still switch tty.

So obviously, no signoff from me.

Varun

Old 01-08-2008, 11:05 AM
Thomas Bächler

Varun Acharya schrieb:
> Same conflict error for me brain0, (x86_64)

Of course, it was a mistake in the old package version .

> 2: /usr/lib64/tls/libnvidia-tls.so.1 [0x2ba54cddd65e]

This file is not contained in the nvidia-utils package, which means you
previously used the nvidia installer to install the driver. This almost
always fails and leads to this error when you switch back to the Arch
package.

We neither use the lib64 directory, nor the tls directory. Instead we
install the tls version of the library directly to /usr/lib instead of
/usr/lib/tls (as the non-tls version is useless for us).

Old 01-08-2008, 11:12 AM
Pierre Schmitz

Am Dienstag, 8. Januar 2008 09:11:34 schrieb Thomas Bächler:
> I added new nvidia drivers 169.07 for i686 and x86_64 to testing. My
> nvidia machine is out of order for now, so please sign off both
> architectures and as many GPUs as possible.
>
> I am also interested in signoffs from users, so please don't hesitate to

signoff for x86_64 using
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation G70 [GeForce 7800 GT

--
archlinux.de

Old 01-08-2008, 11:34 AM
"Varun Acharya"

On Jan 8, 2008 5:35 PM, Thomas Bächler <thomas@archlinux.org> wrote:

This file is not contained in the nvidia-utils package, which means you
previously used the nvidia installer to install the driver.
I've been using the arch package without any problems for a while now, and didn't have any problems while upgrading previously. Anyways, I cleared the old files and re ran the upgrade, and it works fine now.

A small side note..fps values in glxgears seem to have taken a hit.. previously I was getting ~ 15500fps, now with the new drivers I get ~ 14000fps

See http://pastebin.archlinux.org/23421

If this fps drop is expected behavior (since glxgears is not a true index of performance), then a signoff for x86_64 from me.

Nvidia 7800 GTX for me btw.

Varun

Old 01-10-2008, 04:44 AM
Eric Belanger

On Tue, 8 Jan 2008, Pierre Schmitz wrote:

Am Dienstag, 8. Januar 2008 09:11:34 schrieb Thomas Bächler:

I added new nvidia drivers 169.07 for i686 and x86_64 to testing. My
nvidia machine is out of order for now, so please sign off both
architectures and as many GPUs as possible.

I am also interested in signoffs from users, so please don't hesitate to

signoff for x86_64 using
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation G70 [GeForce 7800 GT

Also signing off for x86_64:
02:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation G71 [GeForce 7900 GS] (rev a1)

believed to be clean.

Old 01-11-2008, 03:42 PM
Tobias Powalowski

Am Dienstag, 8. Januar 2008 schrieb Pierre Schmitz:
> Am Dienstag, 8. Januar 2008 09:11:34 schrieb Thomas Bächler:
> > I added new nvidia drivers 169.07 for i686 and x86_64 to testing. My
> > nvidia machine is out of order for now, so please sign off both
> > architectures and as many GPUs as possible.
> >
> > I am also interested in signoffs from users, so please don't hesitate to
>
> signoff for x86_64 using
> 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation G70 [GeForce 7800 GT

signoff for 686 and x86_64
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation GeForce 8500 GT (rev a1)

greetings
tpowa
--
Tobias Powalowski