-   -   Daemon shutdown on uninstall? (http://www.linux-archive.org/archlinux-development/31728-daemon-shutdown-uninstall.html)

"Aaron Griffin" 01-08-2008 06:53 AM

Daemon shutdown on uninstall?

Hey all, this bug report brings up an interesting point:
http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/9030

Should we be stopping /etc/rc.d/ daemons on uninstall? My opinion is
already expressed in the bug report, so I'll spare you here.

If anyone feels strongly about it, please "sound off" in the bug report itself.

eliott 01-08-2008 04:00 PM

On 1/7/08, Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey all, this bug report brings up an interesting point:
> http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/9030
>
> Should we be stopping /etc/rc.d/ daemons on uninstall? My opinion is
> already expressed in the bug report, so I'll spare you here.
>
> If anyone feels strongly about it, please "sound off" in the bug report itself.

I agree that it is handholding.
Users should bloody well know to stop a daemon before removing it.
They had to start it themselves didn't they?
We don't autostart daemons on install.