Old 01-24-2010, 04:05 PM
Thomas Bächler

Default mkinitcpio 0.6 alpha - testing and help needed

Quoted from http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/17298 (which is also to be
used for feedback, besides the threads on these mailing lists):

So, now something can be tested. I recommend using it in conjunction
with testing/udev only:

[kill-klibc]
Server = http://dev.archlinux.org/~thomas/kill-klibc/i686/

or

[kill-klibc]
Server = http://dev.archlinux.org/~thomas/kill-klibc/x86_64/

The standard hooks work, so do keymap, lvm2, encrypt. What does NOT work
is raid/mdadm/dmraid and root on NFS. I would appreciate any input and
patches w.r.t. those, as well as any testing. The v86d package also
needs to be fixed, but that is trivial.

device-mapper, lvm2 and cryptsetup have a weird "1.local" pkgrel so they
won't collide with the ones from the repo, sorry if that bothers anyone.

If you upgrade to this repositories, your existing mkinitcpio will be
replaced and all klibc packages will be gone too. So, if you try it,
please save your existing initramfs to a different filename as a
fallback, and do not perform kernel upgrades until you either confirmed
that it works, or downgraded to the klibc-based mkinitcpio.

Old 01-24-2010, 05:42 PM
Tobias Powalowski

Am Sonntag 24 Januar 2010 schrieb Thomas Bächler:
> Quoted from http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/17298 (which is also to be
> used for feedback, besides the threads on these mailing lists):
>
> So, now something can be tested. I recommend using it in conjunction
> with testing/udev only:
>
> [kill-klibc]
> Server = http://dev.archlinux.org/~thomas/kill-klibc/i686/
>
> or
>
> [kill-klibc]
> Server = http://dev.archlinux.org/~thomas/kill-klibc/x86_64/
>
> The standard hooks work, so do keymap, lvm2, encrypt. What does NOT work
> is raid/mdadm/dmraid and root on NFS. I would appreciate any input and
> patches w.r.t. those, as well as any testing. The v86d package also
> needs to be fixed, but that is trivial.
>
> device-mapper, lvm2 and cryptsetup have a weird "1.local" pkgrel so they
> won't collide with the ones from the repo, sorry if that bothers anyone.
- new mdadm package with symlink to raid hook is needed and probably
a non static binary.
- dmraid hook just needs to be changed to non static binary then all should
work as before.
-nfs will be more tricky.

greetings
tpowa
--
Tobias Powalowski
http://www.archlinux.org

Old 01-24-2010, 05:49 PM
Pierre Schmitz

On Sun, 24 Jan 2010 19:42:49 +0100, Tobias Powalowski <t.powa@gmx.de>
wrote:
>> device-mapper, lvm2 and cryptsetup have a weird "1.local" pkgrel so
they
>> won't collide with the ones from the repo, sorry if that bothers
anyone.
> - new mdadm package with symlink to raid hook is needed and probably
> a non static binary.
> - dmraid hook just needs to be changed to non static binary then all
should
> work as before.

I had the same assumption. Do you think we will have "auto detection" if
we also add /lib/udev/rules.d/64-md-raid.rules to the initramfs image?

Old 02-02-2010, 05:13 PM
Thomas Bächler

Am 24.01.2010 18:05, schrieb Thomas Bächler:
> Quoted from http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/17298 (which is also to be
> used for feedback, besides the threads on these mailing lists):
>
> So, now something can be tested. I recommend using it in conjunction
> with testing/udev only:
>
> [kill-klibc]
> Server = http://dev.archlinux.org/~thomas/kill-klibc/i686/
>
> or
>
> [kill-klibc]
> Server = http://dev.archlinux.org/~thomas/kill-klibc/x86_64/
>
> The standard hooks work, so do keymap, lvm2, encrypt. What does NOT work
> is raid/mdadm/dmraid and root on NFS. I would appreciate any input and
> patches w.r.t. those, as well as any testing. The v86d package also
> needs to be fixed, but that is trivial.
>
> device-mapper, lvm2 and cryptsetup have a weird "1.local" pkgrel so they
> won't collide with the ones from the repo, sorry if that bothers anyone.
>
> If you upgrade to this repositories, your existing mkinitcpio will be
> replaced and all klibc packages will be gone too. So, if you try it,
> please save your existing initramfs to a different filename as a
> fallback, and do not perform kernel upgrades until you either confirmed
> that it works, or downgraded to the klibc-based mkinitcpio.

Bump! Virtually nobody has performed any testing (except the people I
poked about it). Also, I still don't have fixed raid or dmraid hooks,
nor any suggestion for implementing root on NFS (of the last three, I
use neither). I could write raid, but I have no idea if it will work. I
don't know what exactly needs to be done in the NFS case, because that
was all hidden inside "ipconfig" from klibc.

The part that works (standard hooks, keymap, cryptsetup, lvm2) has been
100% stable and has worked perfectly for all of the testers so far
(which aren't many, so you never know).

Note that the klibc-based mkinitcpio has problems which will never be
fixed (because I can't fix them, or don't want to fix them), some of
which are already fixed in the 0.6 branch.

One example is the lack of vfat detection in fstype, which affects
people who want to put archiso on vfat volumes - this is no problem
because we use blkid now. I am sure there are more examples.
I simply refuse to put more time into something that is entirely broken
and can't even be rebuilt against our current kernel headers (yes, the
last time klibc was successfully rebuilt was against 2.6.29 iirc, the
version I built against 2.6.31 works on x86_64, but not on i686).

Old 02-02-2010, 06:18 PM
Aaron Griffin

On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 12:13 PM, Thomas Bächler <thomas@archlinux.org> wrote:
> Am 24.01.2010 18:05, schrieb Thomas Bächler:
>> Quoted from http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/17298 (which is also to be
>> used for feedback, besides the threads on these mailing lists):
>>
>> So, now something can be tested. I recommend using it in conjunction
>> with testing/udev only:
>>
>> [kill-klibc]
>> Server = http://dev.archlinux.org/~thomas/kill-klibc/i686/
>>
>> or
>>
>> [kill-klibc]
>> Server = http://dev.archlinux.org/~thomas/kill-klibc/x86_64/
>>
>> The standard hooks work, so do keymap, lvm2, encrypt. What does NOT work
>> is raid/mdadm/dmraid and root on NFS. I would appreciate any input and
>> patches w.r.t. those, as well as any testing. The v86d package also
>> needs to be fixed, but that is trivial.
>>
>> device-mapper, lvm2 and cryptsetup have a weird "1.local" pkgrel so they
>> won't collide with the ones from the repo, sorry if that bothers anyone.
>>
>> If you upgrade to this repositories, your existing mkinitcpio will be
>> replaced and all klibc packages will be gone too. So, if you try it,
>> please save your existing initramfs to a different filename as a
>> fallback, and do not perform kernel upgrades until you either confirmed
>> that it works, or downgraded to the klibc-based mkinitcpio.
>
> Bump! Virtually nobody has performed any testing (except the people I
> poked about it). Also, I still don't have fixed raid or dmraid hooks,
> nor any suggestion for implementing root on NFS (of the last three, I
> use neither). I could write raid, but I have no idea if it will work. I
> don't know what exactly needs to be done in the NFS case, because that
> was all hidden inside "ipconfig" from klibc.

Is is possible to just port the ipconfig binary from klibc for this
purpose? It's already tested

Old 02-02-2010, 06:44 PM
Thomas Bächler

Am 02.02.2010 20:18, schrieb Aaron Griffin:
>> Bump! Virtually nobody has performed any testing (except the people I
>> poked about it). Also, I still don't have fixed raid or dmraid hooks,
>> nor any suggestion for implementing root on NFS (of the last three, I
>> use neither). I could write raid, but I have no idea if it will work. I
>> don't know what exactly needs to be done in the NFS case, because that
>> was all hidden inside "ipconfig" from klibc.
>
> Is is possible to just port the ipconfig binary from klibc for this
> purpose? It's already tested

I guess we could try, it will probably compile.

Old 02-02-2010, 08:51 PM
Uli Armbruster

* Thomas Bächler <thomas@archlinux.org> [02.02.2010 19:13]:
> Am 24.01.2010 18:05, schrieb Thomas Bächler:
> > Quoted from http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/17298 (which is also to be
> > used for feedback, besides the threads on these mailing lists):
> >
> > So, now something can be tested. I recommend using it in conjunction
> > with testing/udev only:
> >
> > [kill-klibc]
> > Server = http://dev.archlinux.org/~thomas/kill-klibc/i686/
> >
> > or
> >
> > [kill-klibc]
> > Server = http://dev.archlinux.org/~thomas/kill-klibc/x86_64/
> >
> > The standard hooks work, so do keymap, lvm2, encrypt. What does NOT work
> > is raid/mdadm/dmraid and root on NFS. I would appreciate any input and
> > patches w.r.t. those, as well as any testing. The v86d package also
> > needs to be fixed, but that is trivial.
> >
> > device-mapper, lvm2 and cryptsetup have a weird "1.local" pkgrel so they
> > won't collide with the ones from the repo, sorry if that bothers anyone.
> >
> > If you upgrade to this repositories, your existing mkinitcpio will be
> > replaced and all klibc packages will be gone too. So, if you try it,
> > please save your existing initramfs to a different filename as a
> > fallback, and do not perform kernel upgrades until you either confirmed
> > that it works, or downgraded to the klibc-based mkinitcpio.
>
> Bump! Virtually nobody has performed any testing (except the people I
> poked about it). Also, I still don't have fixed raid or dmraid hooks,
> nor any suggestion for implementing root on NFS (of the last three, I
> use neither). I could write raid, but I have no idea if it will work. I
> don't know what exactly needs to be done in the NFS case, because that
> was all hidden inside "ipconfig" from klibc.
>
> The part that works (standard hooks, keymap, cryptsetup, lvm2) has been
> 100% stable and has worked perfectly for all of the testers so far
> (which aren't many, so you never know).
>
> Note that the klibc-based mkinitcpio has problems which will never be
> fixed (because I can't fix them, or don't want to fix them), some of
> which are already fixed in the 0.6 branch.
>
> One example is the lack of vfat detection in fstype, which affects
> people who want to put archiso on vfat volumes - this is no problem
> because we use blkid now. I am sure there are more examples.
> I simply refuse to put more time into something that is entirely broken
> and can't even be rebuilt against our current kernel headers (yes, the
> last time klibc was successfully rebuilt was against 2.6.29 iirc, the
> version I built against 2.6.31 works on x86_64, but not on i686).

Grützi

I use your kill-klibc repo on i686 and I just want to confirm, that it works with

% cat /etc/mkinitcpio.conf
MODULES=""
HOOKS="base udev pata uresume filesystems"

No problems so far, except http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Udev#Auto_mounting_USB_devices don't work anymore, this worked with the packages from the official repos. I have to find another nice way to automount my drives without hal, but that's another topic.

Greetz
Army

Old 02-02-2010, 09:13 PM
Thomas Bächler

Am 02.02.2010 22:51, schrieb Uli Armbruster:
> I use your kill-klibc repo on i686 and I just want to confirm, that it works with
>
> % cat /etc/mkinitcpio.conf
> MODULES=""
> HOOKS="base udev pata uresume filesystems"

Just out of curiosity, where's the uresume hook from, which package?

> No problems so far, except http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Udev#Auto_mounting_USB_devices don't work anymore, this worked with the packages from the official repos. I have to find another nice way to automount my drives without hal, but that's another topic.

I'm not sure how this can be related.

Old 02-03-2010, 09:12 AM
Thomas Bächler

Am 03.02.2010 10:32, schrieb Uli Armbruster:
> uresume is needed for uswsusp (from [community])

Good to know. This hook used glibc anyway, so there is no adjustment
needed to the new initramfs. Less work for me.

> In the wiki, it says that all of these udev rules don't work, because
> there's no program called vol_id anymore. But it worked for me, not
> really sure why. Now with kill-klibc udev isn't able to detect the
> volume name, so it always mounts at /media/sdb1 or something like
> that. I'm really not sure, how this is related neither. Right now I
> rather think it is strange that it worked before..

It seems those rules used /lib/initcpio/udev/vol_id because
/lib/udev/vol_id was gone for a while. But now there is no klibc-udev
any more, vol_id has been deprecated for some time.

You need to use blkid to do this now. "blkid -o udev -p ..." will have
an output compatible to vol_id, but the usage is probably a little
different. See /lib/udev/rules.d/60-persistent-storage.rules for
examples on how blkid is used instead of vol_id, then the udev rules in
the wiki can be easily adjusted to work again.
blkid is in any way superior to vol_id, it has more and better
filesystem support and is updated more frequently. I hope you can
correct the wiki after you've figured out the details, I would guess it
is not very difficult.