Old 02-03-2010, 12:44 PM
Thomas Bächler

Default mkinitcpio 0.6 alpha - testing and help needed

Am 03.02.2010 13:52, schrieb Damjan Georgievski:
>>> [kill-klibc]
>>> Server = http://dev.archlinux.org/~thomas/kill-klibc/i686/
>
>> Bump! Virtually nobody has performed any testing (except the people I
>> poked about it).
>
> If it matters to anyone,

It does to me.

> the new mkinitcpio also works just fine while
> resuming my TuxOnIce kernel, and I do use /dev/disk/by-uuid/... for
> root= and resume= kernel parameters

Very nice, thank you.

Old 02-03-2010, 04:46 PM
Uli Armbruster

* Thomas Bächler <thomas@archlinux.org> [03.02.2010 11:12]:
> Am 03.02.2010 10:32, schrieb Uli Armbruster:
> > uresume is needed for uswsusp (from [community])
>
> Good to know. This hook used glibc anyway, so there is no adjustment
> needed to the new initramfs. Less work for me.
>
> > In the wiki, it says that all of these udev rules don't work, because
> > there's no program called vol_id anymore. But it worked for me, not
> > really sure why. Now with kill-klibc udev isn't able to detect the
> > volume name, so it always mounts at /media/sdb1 or something like
> > that. I'm really not sure, how this is related neither. Right now I
> > rather think it is strange that it worked before..
>
> It seems those rules used /lib/initcpio/udev/vol_id because
> /lib/udev/vol_id was gone for a while. But now there is no klibc-udev
> any more, vol_id has been deprecated for some time.
>
> You need to use blkid to do this now. "blkid -o udev -p ..." will have
> an output compatible to vol_id, but the usage is probably a little
> different. See /lib/udev/rules.d/60-persistent-storage.rules for
> examples on how blkid is used instead of vol_id, then the udev rules in
> the wiki can be easily adjusted to work again.
> blkid is in any way superior to vol_id, it has more and better
> filesystem support and is updated more frequently. I hope you can
> correct the wiki after you've figured out the details, I would guess it
> is not very difficult.

Cool, thanks a lot! I'll do some testing with blkid, in case I succeed I'll adjust the wiki

Old 02-04-2010, 03:03 AM
Eric Bélanger

On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 1:13 PM, Thomas Bächler <thomas@archlinux.org> wrote:
> Am 24.01.2010 18:05, schrieb Thomas Bächler:
>> Quoted from http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/17298 (which is also to be
>> used for feedback, besides the threads on these mailing lists):
>>
>> So, now something can be tested. I recommend using it in conjunction
>> with testing/udev only:
>>
>> [kill-klibc]
>> Server = http://dev.archlinux.org/~thomas/kill-klibc/i686/
>>
>> or
>>
>> [kill-klibc]
>> Server = http://dev.archlinux.org/~thomas/kill-klibc/x86_64/
>>
>> The standard hooks work, so do keymap, lvm2, encrypt. What does NOT work
>> is raid/mdadm/dmraid and root on NFS. I would appreciate any input and
>> patches w.r.t. those, as well as any testing. The v86d package also
>> needs to be fixed, but that is trivial.
>>
>> device-mapper, lvm2 and cryptsetup have a weird "1.local" pkgrel so they
>> won't collide with the ones from the repo, sorry if that bothers anyone.
>>
>> If you upgrade to this repositories, your existing mkinitcpio will be
>> replaced and all klibc packages will be gone too. So, if you try it,
>> please save your existing initramfs to a different filename as a
>> fallback, and do not perform kernel upgrades until you either confirmed
>> that it works, or downgraded to the klibc-based mkinitcpio.
>
> Bump! Virtually nobody has performed any testing (except the people I
> poked about it). Also, I still don't have fixed raid or dmraid hooks,
> nor any suggestion for implementing root on NFS (of the last three, I
> use neither). I could write raid, but I have no idea if it will work. I
> don't know what exactly needs to be done in the NFS case, because that
> was all hidden inside "ipconfig" from klibc.
>
> The part that works (standard hooks, keymap, cryptsetup, lvm2) has been
> 100% stable and has worked perfectly for all of the testers so far
> (which aren't many, so you never know).

Just tested on my i686 system with lvm2. It booted fine and everything
looks OK, in fact I haven't noted any difference.

Hooks used in /etc/mkinitcpio.conf:
HOOKS="base udev autodetect pata usbinput keymap lvm2 filesystems"

I would be willing to test raid support when it will be added. I'm not
really familiar with kernels and early userspace stuff so I can't be
much help in making a patch for it.

Old 02-04-2010, 09:45 PM
Henning Garus

On Tue, 02.02.2010 um 19:13 +0100, Thomas Bächler wrote:
> Bump! Virtually nobody has performed any testing (except the people I
> poked about it). Also, I still don't have fixed raid or dmraid hooks,
> nor any suggestion for implementing root on NFS (of the last three, I
> use neither). I could write raid, but I have no idea if it will work. I
> don't know what exactly needs to be done in the NFS case, because that
> was all hidden inside "ipconfig" from klibc.
>
> The part that works (standard hooks, keymap, cryptsetup, lvm2) has been
> 100% stable and has worked perfectly for all of the testers so far
> (which aren't many, so you never know).

I switched to the kill-klibc repo and my system still boots, using:

HOOKS="base udev autodetect sata encrypt filesystems"