Old 01-24-2010, 10:07 AM
Ionut Biru

Default LTS install ISOs (was: makechrootpkg without aufs2)

On 01/24/2010 09:55 AM, Aaron Griffin wrote:

On Sun, Jan 24, 2010 at 1:50 AM, Tobias Powalowski<t.powa@gmx.de> wrote:

Am Sonntag 24 Januar 2010 schrieb Aaron Griffin:

On Sun, Jan 24, 2010 at 1:38 AM, Tobias Powalowski<t.powa@gmx.de> wrote:

When this change happens, shall we drop the aufs patch too from kernel?
I don't use it at all.

Not just yet, the ISOs use aufs, and there's no real good system to replace
that

Ok, just an other thing,
shall i add aufs patch to the lts kernel if we bump it to .32?
Just in case to be able to provide lts install isos.

Hmmm. LTS install ISOs is an interesting idea, but not sure how people
feel about that. I mean, the kernel for the install ISO is just the
running kernel. You can still install the LTS kernel from a non-LTS
ISO.

Does anyone have a strong opinion on this?

i don't see any reason to have that.

--
Ionut

Old 01-24-2010, 11:28 AM
Dieter Plaetinck

On Sun, 24 Jan 2010 13:07:28 +0200
Ionut Biru <biru.ionut@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 01/24/2010 09:55 AM, Aaron Griffin wrote:
> > Hmmm. LTS install ISOs is an interesting idea, but not sure how
> > people feel about that. I mean, the kernel for the install ISO is
> > just the running kernel. You can still install the LTS kernel from
> > a non-LTS ISO.
> >
> > Does anyone have a strong opinion on this?
>
> i don't see any reason to have that.

what's the purpose of the LTS kernel again? it's basically to make
kernel update cycles of your system longer, right? so instead of
getting a new major version every 3 months, you jump from LTS to LTS.

I can see why some people want that on their installed box [and hence
the possibility to install it using any installation medium].

our goal with the installation media (we're failing at that goal
right now), is to have a set of media for each new kernel release. why?
optimal hardware support. so the question is simple: do LTS kernels get
driver updates like the normal kernels do? but even if they do, they
probably run behind on filesystems support and such.

so i do not see any advantages for installation media running an LTS
kernel.

Dieter