FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > ArchLinux > ArchLinux Development

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 01-28-2010, 03:50 PM
Pierre Schmitz
 
Default WARNING libpng/libjpeg hits testing

Am Donnerstag, 28. Januar 2010 16:16:42 schrieb Ionut Biru:
> On 01/27/2010 02:03 AM, Allan McRae wrote:
> > On 27/01/10 09:56, Pierre Schmitz wrote:
> >> Am Dienstag, 19. Januar 2010 02:15:10 schrieb Ionut Biru:
> >>> hi,
> >>> just a heads up to inform that i don't recommend to update from testing
> >>> anymore. Most of important packages have been rebuild but the remaining
> >>> list still counts ~99 packages.
> >>
> >> Do you guys think we can finish this rebuild this week? I think it's a
> >> good
> >> idea to put KDE 4.4 RC3 into testing when the jpng rebuild has moved
> >> into extra. This way we have some time to do some KDE related rebuilds
> >> and have the
> >> packages tested by more people.
> >
> > Sure, apart from some of the openoffice variants, there is only 5 or 6
> > packages left to go. I think Andy was holding out for a release to
> > finish the OOo stuff.
> >
> > Allan

So, I just talked to Andy. OOo release is still a little undefined. What do
you think about this plan:

* We put KDE 4.4 RC3 into testing (should be available in some hours)
* This give us some more testing for KDE itself and let's us start some KDE/Qt
related rebuild (only few packages are affected)
* KDE 4.4.0 (final) will be available around end of next week (tagging on 3rd)
* We move everything (libjpeg, libpng, KDE, Qt rebuilds) to extra on February
9th/10th

What do you think about this? It should give us enough time for testing,
rebuilding the remaining packages and does not block KDE.

> we can start accepting bugs no? as the others:
>
> last-exit dead upstream
> panda3d will be moved in arch-games
> visualboyadvance need a patch( Daenyth is working on it
> xf4vnc-xvnc moved in aur
>
> what do you think, is better to announce on news that a possible
> breakage can be if they use other cairo package? i found a lot of users
> who had that problem.

People who replace official packages by their own should know what they are
doing; otherwise they just shouldn't do it or use Arch at all.

--

Pierre Schmitz, https://users.archlinux.de/~pierre
 
Old 01-28-2010, 04:28 PM
Dan McGee
 
Default WARNING libpng/libjpeg hits testing

On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 10:50 AM, Pierre Schmitz <pierre@archlinux.de> wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, 28. Januar 2010 16:16:42 schrieb Ionut Biru:
>> On 01/27/2010 02:03 AM, Allan McRae wrote:
>> > On 27/01/10 09:56, Pierre Schmitz wrote:
>> >> Am Dienstag, 19. Januar 2010 02:15:10 schrieb Ionut Biru:
>> >>> hi,
>> >>> just a heads up to inform that i don't recommend to update from testing
>> >>> anymore. Most of important packages have been rebuild but the remaining
>> >>> list still counts ~99 packages.
>> >>
>> >> Do you guys think we can finish this rebuild this week? I think it's a
>> >> good
>> >> idea to put KDE 4.4 RC3 into testing when the jpng rebuild has moved
>> >> into extra. This way we have some time to do some KDE related rebuilds
>> >> and have the
>> >> packages tested by more people.
>> >
>> > Sure, apart from some of the openoffice variants, there is only 5 or 6
>> > packages left to go. I think Andy was holding out for a release to
>> > finish the OOo stuff.
>> >
>> > Allan
>
> So, I just talked to Andy. OOo release is still a little undefined. What do
> you think about this plan:
>
> * We put KDE 4.4 RC3 into testing (should be available in some hours)
> * This give us some more testing for KDE itself and let's us start some KDE/Qt
> *related rebuild (only few packages are affected)
> * KDE 4.4.0 (final) will be available around end of next week (tagging on 3rd)
> * We move everything (libjpeg, libpng, KDE, Qt rebuilds) to extra on February
> *9th/10th
>
> What do you think about this? It should give us enough time for testing,
> rebuilding the remaining packages and does not block KDE.

This is going to absolutely destroy gerolde and our mirrors with rsync
backlog. We really need to start getting some of this out there if
possible since when we move packages from [testing] to other repos, we
don't have a symlink farm like we do with arch="any" packages.

-Dan
 
Old 01-28-2010, 04:39 PM
Pierre Schmitz
 
Default WARNING libpng/libjpeg hits testing

Am Donnerstag, 28. Januar 2010 18:28:38 schrieb Dan McGee:
> This is going to absolutely destroy gerolde and our mirrors with rsync
> backlog. We really need to start getting some of this out there if
> possible since when we move packages from [testing] to other repos, we
> don't have a symlink farm like we do with arch="any" packages.

Yes I know, but I don't see any other option. Even if we move the jpng stuff
right now, the mirrors will have a hard time to catch up. And we cannot move
only parts as this would break everything.

ATM it looks like this:

11G community
1.9G community-testing
3.5G testing
441M core
13G extra
1.3G kde-unstable

It does not make much difference if we move testing and community-testing into
extra right now or next week.

--

Pierre Schmitz, https://users.archlinux.de/~pierre
 
Old 01-28-2010, 06:08 PM
Dan McGee
 
Default WARNING libpng/libjpeg hits testing

On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 11:39 AM, Pierre Schmitz <pierre@archlinux.de> wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, 28. Januar 2010 18:28:38 schrieb Dan McGee:
>> This is going to absolutely destroy gerolde and our mirrors with rsync
>> backlog. We really need to start getting some of this out there if
>> possible since when we move packages from [testing] to other repos, we
>> don't have a symlink farm like we do with arch="any" packages.
>
> Yes I know, but I don't see any other option. Even if we move the jpng stuff
> right now, the mirrors will have a hard time to catch up. And we cannot move
> only parts as this would break everything.
>
> ATM it looks like this:
>
> 11G * * community
> 1.9G * *community-testing
> 3.5G * *testing
> 441M * *core
> 13G * * extra
> 1.3G * *kde-unstable
>
> It does not make much difference if we move testing and community-testing into
> extra right now or next week.

But not having another 1.3GB on top fo the 3.5GB will at least help
somewhat, no? Or are you planning on moving kde into [testing] and
jpng into [extra] at the same time?

-Dan
 
Old 01-28-2010, 07:30 PM
Andreas Radke
 
Default WARNING libpng/libjpeg hits testing

Am Thu, 28 Jan 2010 13:40:06 +0100
schrieb Pierre Schmitz <pierre@archlinux.de>:

> Am Mittwoch, 27. Januar 2010 01:03:09 schrieb Allan McRae:
> > Sure, apart from some of the openoffice variants, there is only 5
> > or 6 packages left to go. I think Andy was holding out for a
> > release to finish the OOo stuff.
>
> I wonder how long we have to wait here. They just released RC4 and
> told that the final release was delayed. I guess it's a lot longer
> than it would take to build it for i686 (x86_64 is already done)
>

I can build the remaining OOo stable packages within one day or so. No
big deal. A problem might be the go-oo pkg. I don't know if the old
stable pkg will be also run into the stripping issue.

-Andy
 
Old 01-28-2010, 08:00 PM
Pierre Schmitz
 
Default WARNING libpng/libjpeg hits testing

Am Donnerstag, 28. Januar 2010 20:08:00 schrieb Dan McGee:
> But not having another 1.3GB on top fo the 3.5GB will at least help
> somewhat, no?

You forgot the 1,9GB community-testing and several GB of openoffice. So yes,
we are somehow screwed anyway. ;-)

> Or are you planning on moving kde into [testing] and
> jpng into [extra] at the same time?

My idea was to put RC3 into testing, remove kde-unstable and around the 10th
of february we can move the jpng rebuild into extra and a second later the KDE
4.4 final into extra. This would need some cooridination and we need to upload
KDE into our staging dirs before the jpng move, but that should be doable. In
the end this strategy should save us some traffic.

Additionally we could try to optimize the mirror syncing within the next two
weeks.

--

Pierre Schmitz, https://users.archlinux.de/~pierre
 
Old 01-28-2010, 08:53 PM
Eric Bélanger
 
Default WARNING libpng/libjpeg hits testing

On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 4:00 PM, Pierre Schmitz <pierre@archlinux.de> wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, 28. Januar 2010 20:08:00 schrieb Dan McGee:
>> But not having another 1.3GB on top fo the 3.5GB will at least help
>> somewhat, no?
>
> You forgot the 1,9GB community-testing and several GB of openoffice. So yes,
> we are somehow screwed anyway. ;-)
>
>> Or are you planning on moving kde into [testing] and
>> jpng into [extra] at the same time?
>
> My idea was to put RC3 into testing, remove kde-unstable and around the 10th
> of february we can move the jpng rebuild into extra and a second later the KDE
> 4.4 final into extra. This would need some cooridination and we need to upload
> KDE into our staging dirs before the jpng move, but that should be doable. In
> the end this strategy should save us some traffic.
>
> Additionally we could try to optimize the mirror syncing within the next two
> weeks.
>

Although we're pretty much screwed, we should try to not make our case
worse. It might be better to do the jpng rebuild move seperate from
the kde update. We could do it this way:

- rebuild the current OO pkgs. Even if go-office doen't build, at
least we should have some working OO pkg in the repo. Andy: I could
help with that, just let me know.
- push the jpng rebuild to extra/community
- Wait a couple (3-4?) of days and monitor the mirror syncing from
gerolde. This will give a head start to the mirrors to complete, at
least, most of the sync for the jpng rebuild.
- move the kde packages from kde-unstable to testing
- etc.


> --
>
> Pierre Schmitz, https://users.archlinux.de/~pierre
>
 
Old 01-28-2010, 11:25 PM
Pierre Schmitz
 
Default WARNING libpng/libjpeg hits testing

Am Donnerstag, 28. Januar 2010 22:53:18 schrieb Eric Bélanger:
> - rebuild the current OO pkgs. Even if go-office doen't build, at
> least we should have some working OO pkg in the repo. Andy: I could
> help with that, just let me know.
> - push the jpng rebuild to extra/community
> - Wait a couple (3-4?) of days and monitor the mirror syncing from
> gerolde. This will give a head start to the mirrors to complete, at
> least, most of the sync for the jpng rebuild.
> - move the kde packages from kde-unstable to testing
> - etc.

OK, would this work?
* move the jpng rebuild tomorrow (29.1)
* we prepare the KDE build over the weekend
* On Monday we remove kde-unstalbe and move the new KDE into testing
* start KDE rebuild and testing
* release the KDE final on February 9th/10th

--

Pierre Schmitz, https://users.archlinux.de/~pierre
 
Old 01-28-2010, 11:44 PM
Pierre Schmitz
 
Default WARNING libpng/libjpeg hits testing

Am Donnerstag, 28. Januar 2010 21:30:57 schrieb Andreas Radke:
> I can build the remaining OOo stable packages within one day or so. No
> big deal. A problem might be the go-oo pkg. I don't know if the old
> stable pkg will be also run into the stripping issue.

You mean this: http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/17656 That's no big deal. Just
adjust the library permissions to 755 or 644. I don't see any reason in having
them 444 or 555 if they are owned by root anyway.

--

Pierre Schmitz, https://users.archlinux.de/~pierre
 
Old 01-29-2010, 12:02 AM
Allan McRae
 
Default WARNING libpng/libjpeg hits testing

On 29/01/10 10:44, Pierre Schmitz wrote:

Am Donnerstag, 28. Januar 2010 21:30:57 schrieb Andreas Radke:

I can build the remaining OOo stable packages within one day or so. No
big deal. A problem might be the go-oo pkg. I don't know if the old
stable pkg will be also run into the stripping issue.


You mean this: http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/17656 That's no big deal. Just
adjust the library permissions to 755 or 644. I don't see any reason in having
them 444 or 555 if they are owned by root anyway.


I agree. 444 and 555 library permissions are stupid. Does makepkg
actually error out at trying to strip them? The "fix" I have proposed
for makepkg just ignores libraries without write permissions when usign
fakeroot (the only case strip actually fails). Perhaps namcap should
warn about these.


Allan
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 10:20 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org