Old 01-19-2010, 12:49 PM
Dan McGee

Default libpng todo list

On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 2:11 AM, Eric Bélanger <snowmaniscool@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 2:57 AM, Jan de Groot <jan@jgc.homeip.net> wrote:
>> On Tue, 2010-01-19 at 01:26 -0500, Eric Bélanger wrote:
>>> wxgtk-2.6 doesn't build (error message below). Any objection if we
>>> remove it? It is only used by one package in community (comical) which
>>> is orphaned and who's last release was in 2006.
>>>

>>> In file included from ./src/gtk/gsockgtk.cpp:20:
>>> ./include/wx/gsocket.h:40: error: using typedef-name 'GSocket' after
>>> 'class'
>>> /usr/include/glib-2.0/gio/giotypes.h:120: error: 'GSocket' has a
>>> previous declaration here
>>> In file included from ./include/wx/gsocket.h:179,
>>> * * * * * * * * *from ./src/gtk/gsockgtk.cpp:20:
>>
>> wxgtk contains a patch for this.
>>

> I had forgotten about that patch so it might build. *I still think
> that if no one is interested in comical, then we should remove both
> packages.

This rebuild is as good of an excuse as any to shoot some old stuff we
have hanging around. +1 to killing it.

-Dan

Old 01-19-2010, 08:20 PM
Eric Bélanger

On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 8:11 PM, Ionut Biru <biru.ionut@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 01/19/2010 02:32 AM, Allan McRae wrote:
>>
>> Pierre Schmitz wrote:

>>> It seems the most important packages are rebuild now. What do you guys
>>> think to merge the jpng repo into testing now? This way we might speed up
>>> the process and the TUs could start building packages for
>>> community-testing.
>>>

>> Sounds fine. It looks like less patching is needed for libpng that was
>> initially thought.
>>
>> A big cheer to all those who have helped out with the rebuild so far
>> (Andrea, Eric, Ionut, Jan and Pierre). I have not been any help due to
>> work commitments. A quick count shows there are still 99 packages left
>> to be rebuilt for [extra] so there is plenty of scope for the rest of us
>> to lend a hand.
>>
>> Allan
>>

> i'll send a warning now and in the morning i'll move them all. btw there is
> a script that can be used to moved all packages or i have to use db-move?
>
> --
> Ionut

Just a heads up. I had to fix the imlib, imlib2 and imagemagick
packages that were initially put in the jpng repo. There was
undefined symbols in the libraries. I believe it only affects when you
try to link the library. So packages that were successfully built
against the broken libs are probably OK. I haven't tested though.

BTW, when trying to rebuild xfig and transfig, I'm getting this error:

dev/libtransfig.a(readpng.o): In function `read_png':
readpng.c.text+0x6a2): undefined reference to `png_set_dither'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[1]: *** [fig2dev] Error 1

I didn't find any mention about png_set_dither in the libpng 1.4.0
docs. Did another rebuilder encountered this problem? Does anyone know
how to fix it? For the time being, I'll skip it.

Another problem: Even after patching for libpng, xine-ui doesn't work.
The window appears for a second then prints bunch of error messages
like :

IMLIB ERROR: Cannot load image: /usr/share/xine/skins/xine_splash.png
All fallbacks failed.
xiTK WARNING(xitk_image_load_image:1646): xitk_image_load_image():
couldn't find image /usr/share/xine/skins/xine_splash.png
IMLIB ERROR: Cannot load image: /usr/share/xine/skins/xinetic/MainBg.png
All fallbacks failed.

I'll also skip it for now. If anyone has an idea on how to fix it or
wants to work on it, go ahead.

Old 01-19-2010, 10:42 PM
Jan de Groot

On Tue, 2010-01-19 at 16:20 -0500, Eric Bélanger wrote:
> IMLIB ERROR: Cannot load image: /usr/share/xine/skins/xine_splash.png
> All fallbacks failed.
> xiTK WARNING(xitk_image_load_image:1646): xitk_image_load_image():
> couldn't find image /usr/share/xine/skins/xine_splash.png
> IMLIB ERROR: Cannot load
> image: /usr/share/xine/skins/xinetic/MainBg.png
> All fallbacks failed.

Announcement says:
replace
png_check_sig(buf, 8)
with
png_sig_cmp(buf, 0, 8) == 0

Your patch doesn't do the == 0, so results from that check are inverted.

Old 01-20-2010, 01:24 AM
Eric Bélanger

On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 6:42 PM, Jan de Groot <jan@jgc.homeip.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-01-19 at 16:20 -0500, Eric Bélanger wrote:
>> IMLIB ERROR: Cannot load image: /usr/share/xine/skins/xine_splash.png
>> All fallbacks failed.
>> xiTK WARNING(xitk_image_load_image:1646): xitk_image_load_image():
>> couldn't find image /usr/share/xine/skins/xine_splash.png
>> IMLIB ERROR: Cannot load
>> image: /usr/share/xine/skins/xinetic/MainBg.png
>> All fallbacks failed.
>
> Announcement says:
> replace
> * * * *png_check_sig(buf, 8)
> * * *with
> * * * *png_sig_cmp(buf, 0, 8) == 0
>
> Your patch doesn't do the == 0, so results from that check are inverted.

Thanks. That was it.

Old 01-23-2010, 08:55 PM
Eric Bélanger

On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 4:20 PM, Eric Bélanger <snowmaniscool@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 8:11 PM, Ionut Biru <biru.ionut@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Sounds fine. It looks like less patching is needed for libpng that was
>>> initially thought.
>>>
>>> A big cheer to all those who have helped out with the rebuild so far
>>> (Andrea, Eric, Ionut, Jan and Pierre). I have not been any help due to
>>> work commitments. A quick count shows there are still 99 packages left
>>> to be rebuilt for [extra] so there is plenty of scope for the rest of us
>>> to lend a hand.
>>>
>>> Allan
>>>

>> i'll send a warning now and in the morning i'll move them all. btw there is
>> a script that can be used to moved all packages or i have to use db-move?
>>
>> --
>> Ionut
>>

> Just a heads up. I had to fix the imlib, imlib2 and imagemagick
> packages that were initially put in the jpng repo. *There was
> undefined symbols in the libraries. I believe it only affects when you
> try to link the library. *So packages that were successfully built
> against the broken libs are probably OK. I haven't tested though.
>

> BTW, when trying to rebuild xfig and transfig, I'm getting this error:
>
> dev/libtransfig.a(readpng.o): In function `read_png':
> readpng.c.text+0x6a2): undefined reference to `png_set_dither'
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> make[1]: *** [fig2dev] Error 1
>
> I didn't find any mention about png_set_dither in the libpng 1.4.0
> docs. Did another rebuilder encountered this problem? Does anyone know
> how to fix it? For the time being, I'll skip it.

I found out the problem. In libpng 1.4.0, PNG_READ_DITHER_SUPPORTED is
turned off by default. It seems that it wasn't working quite right
and it had low usage:

http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_name=e56ccc8f0812151445ybd95eb0i7 8eb9aef434a6e28%40mail.gmail.com&forum_name=png-mng-misc

Are there any objections in enabling it?

Eric

Old 01-24-2010, 11:03 PM
Eric Bélanger

On Sat, Jan 23, 2010 at 4:55 PM, Eric Bélanger <snowmaniscool@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 4:20 PM, Eric Bélanger <snowmaniscool@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> i'll send a warning now and in the morning i'll move them all. btw there is
>>> a script that can be used to moved all packages or i have to use db-move?
>>>
>>> --
>>> Ionut
>>>

>> Just a heads up. I had to fix the imlib, imlib2 and imagemagick
>> packages that were initially put in the jpng repo. *There was
>> undefined symbols in the libraries. I believe it only affects when you
>> try to link the library. *So packages that were successfully built
>> against the broken libs are probably OK. I haven't tested though.
>>

>> BTW, when trying to rebuild xfig and transfig, I'm getting this error:
>>
>> dev/libtransfig.a(readpng.o): In function `read_png':
>> readpng.c.text+0x6a2): undefined reference to `png_set_dither'
>> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
>> make[1]: *** [fig2dev] Error 1
>>
>> I didn't find any mention about png_set_dither in the libpng 1.4.0
>> docs. Did another rebuilder encountered this problem? Does anyone know
>> how to fix it? For the time being, I'll skip it.
>>

> I found out the problem. In libpng 1.4.0, PNG_READ_DITHER_SUPPORTED is
> turned off by default. *It seems that it wasn't working quite right
> and it had low usage:
>
> http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_name=e56ccc8f0812151445ybd95eb0i7 8eb9aef434a6e28%40mail.gmail.com&forum_name=png-mng-misc
>
> Are there any objections in enabling it?
>
> Eric

FYI: don't rebuild the openoffice packages. Andy told me that there
will be new releases next week and those will be built against the
libpng/jpeg in testing.

Old 01-28-2010, 04:20 AM
Eric Bélanger

On Sat, Jan 23, 2010 at 4:55 PM, Eric Bélanger <snowmaniscool@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 4:20 PM, Eric Bélanger <snowmaniscool@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> i'll send a warning now and in the morning i'll move them all. btw there is
>>> a script that can be used to moved all packages or i have to use db-move?
>>>
>>> --
>>> Ionut
>>>

>> Just a heads up. I had to fix the imlib, imlib2 and imagemagick
>> packages that were initially put in the jpng repo. *There was
>> undefined symbols in the libraries. I believe it only affects when you
>> try to link the library. *So packages that were successfully built
>> against the broken libs are probably OK. I haven't tested though.
>>

>> BTW, when trying to rebuild xfig and transfig, I'm getting this error:
>>
>> dev/libtransfig.a(readpng.o): In function `read_png':
>> readpng.c.text+0x6a2): undefined reference to `png_set_dither'
>> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
>> make[1]: *** [fig2dev] Error 1
>>
>> I didn't find any mention about png_set_dither in the libpng 1.4.0
>> docs. Did another rebuilder encountered this problem? Does anyone know
>> how to fix it? For the time being, I'll skip it.
>>

> I found out the problem. In libpng 1.4.0, PNG_READ_DITHER_SUPPORTED is
> turned off by default. *It seems that it wasn't working quite right
> and it had low usage:
>
> http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_name=e56ccc8f0812151445ybd95eb0i7 8eb9aef434a6e28%40mail.gmail.com&forum_name=png-mng-misc
>
> Are there any objections in enabling it?
>
> Eric

I went ahead and put a libpng 1.4.0-2 in testing with dither support
readded. And both xfig and transfig have been rebuilt.