Old 01-06-2010, 05:09 AM
Paul Mattal

Default Cron Plan

Having now learned more about cron and its many flavors than I probably
ever wanted to know, I am prepared to suggest a course of action. I've
picked up maintenance of dcron from tpowa, and am prepared to move
forward. If we can reach agreement, I'll do the work.

I understand there was a previous decision made to move to fcron.
However, yacron (a slightly-less-minimal dcron fork) was known and
considered at the time, so it makes sense to consider it now.

In the last few days, the yacron author, Jim Pryor, has been blessed by
Matt Dillon as the new dcron maintainer, thus unforking:

http://apollo.backplane.com/FreeSrc/
http://www.jimpryor.net/linux/yacron.html

This new yacron/dcron 4.0 option is pretty attractive.

advantages:
* simple, small, mature, designed with security in mind
* maintained by an Arch user
* familiar/standard crontab format
* supports anacron-type behaviors
* supports /etc/cron.d (more effectively than fcron)
* can log to syslog
disadvantages:
* may not provide all the advanced/anacron-type behavior fcron does
* not all of the newly-merged code changes are widely tested

Proposal: We stay with dcron into the 4.0 series, with a
longer-than-usual testing window so the transition is smooth, and see if
it meets our collective needs. Jim may be willing to add functionality
we find lacking.

Please get your votes and comments in by the weekend, if possible. I'd
like to move on this next week, if we have agreement.

Thanks!
- P

Old 01-06-2010, 04:07 PM
Aaron Griffin

On Wed, Jan 6, 2010 at 12:09 AM, Paul Mattal <paul@mattal.com> wrote:
> Having now learned more about cron and its many flavors than I probably ever
> wanted to know, I am prepared to suggest a course of action. I've picked up
> maintenance of dcron from tpowa, and am prepared to move forward. If we can
> reach agreement, I'll do the work.
>
> I understand there was a previous decision made to move to fcron. However,
> yacron (a slightly-less-minimal dcron fork) was known and considered at the
> time, so it makes sense to consider it now.
>
> In the last few days, the yacron author, Jim Pryor, has been blessed by Matt
> Dillon as the new dcron maintainer, thus unforking:
>
> *http://apollo.backplane.com/FreeSrc/
> *http://www.jimpryor.net/linux/yacron.html
>
> This new yacron/dcron 4.0 option is pretty attractive.
>
> advantages:
> ** simple, small, mature, designed with security in mind
> ** maintained by an Arch user
> ** familiar/standard crontab format
> ** supports anacron-type behaviors
> ** supports /etc/cron.d (more effectively than fcron)
> ** can log to syslog
> disadvantages:
> ** may not provide all the advanced/anacron-type behavior fcron does
> ** not all of the newly-merged code changes are widely tested
>
> Proposal: We stay with dcron into the 4.0 series, with a longer-than-usual
> testing window so the transition is smooth, and see if it meets our
> collective needs. Jim may be willing to add functionality we find lacking.
>
> Please get your votes and comments in by the weekend, if possible. I'd like
> to move on this next week, if we have agreement.

I think this is a pretty good idea that seems to have solved itself.
Props to Jim Pryor for this

Old 01-06-2010, 04:59 PM
Thomas Bächler

Am 06.01.2010 07:09, schrieb Paul Mattal:
> * supports anacron-type behaviors

Can you elaborate on that? All I want is that a "missed"
daily/weekly/monthly cron job is executed after boot on a machine that's
not always-on. That's why I use fcron, nothing more. Will that be
possible with the new dcron?

Old 01-06-2010, 05:07 PM
Paul Mattal