Old 12-12-2009, 09:54 AM
Allan McRae

Default coreutils-8.2-1

Fairly minor bug fix release over 8.1 which has been in [testing] for a
long time, but a major jump over what is currently in [core]. I have
been using the pre-release snapshots without any issues.

Upstream ChangeLog:

** Bug fixes

id's use of mgetgroups no longer writes beyond the end of a malloc'd buffer
[bug introduced in coreutils-8.1]

id no longer crashes on systems without supplementary group support.
[bug introduced in coreutils-8.1]

rm once again handles zero-length arguments properly.
The rewrite to make rm use fts introduced a regression whereby
a command like "rm a ' b" would fail to remove "a" and "b", due to
the presence of the empty string argument.
[bug introduced in coreutils-8.0]

sort is now immune to the signal handling of its parent.
Specifically sort now doesn't exit with an error message
if it uses helper processes for compression and its parent
ignores CHLD signals. [bug introduced in coreutils-6.9]

tail without -f no longer access uninitialized memory
[bug introduced in coreutils-7.6]

timeout is now immune to the signal handling of its parent.
Specifically timeout now doesn't exit with an error message
if its parent ignores CHLD signals. [bug introduced in coreutils-7.6]

a user running "make distcheck" in the coreutils source directory,
with TMPDIR unset or set to the name of a world-writable directory,
and with a malicious user on the same system
was vulnerable to arbitrary code execution
[bug introduced in coreutils-5.0]

Signoff both,
Allan

Old 12-13-2009, 11:50 PM
Dan McGee

On Sat, Dec 12, 2009 at 4:54 AM, Allan McRae <allan@archlinux.org> wrote:
> Fairly minor bug fix release over 8.1 which has been in [testing] for a long
> time, but a major jump over what is currently in [core]. *I have been using
> the pre-release snapshots without any issues.

Hasn't busted up my system yet. Signoff x86_64.

-Dan

Old 12-14-2009, 04:31 PM
Ionut Biru

Fairly minor bug fix release over 8.1 which has been in [testing] for a
long time, but a major jump over what is currently in [core]. I have
been using the pre-release snapshots without any issues.

<snip>

Signoff both,
Allan

signoff x86_64