Old 12-08-2009, 12:14 PM
Paul Mattal

Default chroots config question

Regarding the below:

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/DeveloperWiki:Building_in_a_Clean_Chroot

It reads:

"The -C and -M flags are optional, but it is recommended to provide
these with clean pacman.conf and makepkg.conf files (directly from the
pacman package) during first creation of clean chroot to ensure lack of
user specific adjustments."

I think this is misleading. If you *don't* provide these arguments, what
you get is the default config files directly from the pacman package,
right? So the desired thing in most circumstances is, presumably, NOT to
override?

- P

Old 12-08-2009, 10:15 PM
Allan McRae

Paul Mattal wrote:

Regarding the below:

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/DeveloperWiki:Building_in_a_Clean_Chroot

It reads:

"The -C and -M flags are optional, but it is recommended to provide
these with clean pacman.conf and makepkg.conf files (directly from the
pacman package) during first creation of clean chroot to ensure lack of
user specific adjustments."

I think this is misleading. If you *don't* provide these arguments, what
you get is the default config files directly from the pacman package,
right? So the desired thing in most circumstances is, presumably, NOT to
override?

I believe it copies the local ones on your file system. Perhaps that
should be changed...

Old 12-08-2009, 10:20 PM
Paul Mattal

Allan McRae wrote:

Paul Mattal wrote:

Regarding the below:

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/DeveloperWiki:Building_in_a_Clean_Chroot

It reads:

"The -C and -M flags are optional, but it is recommended to provide
these with clean pacman.conf and makepkg.conf files (directly from the
pacman package) during first creation of clean chroot to ensure lack
of user specific adjustments."

I think this is misleading. If you *don't* provide these arguments,
what you get is the default config files directly from the pacman
package, right? So the desired thing in most circumstances is,
presumably, NOT to override?

I believe it copies the local ones on your file system. Perhaps that
should be changed...

After building my chroot, the resulting pacman.conf inside it was
different than my /etc/pacman.conf. I didn't see anything in
mkarchroot to suggest it was doing anything special to those files
unless the options are passed in, so it seemed to me like it must
be, by default, just installing the default ones along with the
pacman package.

Can anyone confirm that's the intended behavior? It seems to be how
it works, unless I'm missing something.

- P

Old 12-19-2009, 10:27 PM
Aaron Griffin

On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 5:20 PM, Paul Mattal <paul@mattal.com> wrote:
> Allan McRae wrote:
>>
>> Paul Mattal wrote:
>>>
>>> Regarding the below:
>>>

>>> http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/DeveloperWiki:Building_in_a_Clean_Chroot
>>>
>>> It reads:
>>>
>>> "The -C and -M flags are optional, but it is recommended to provide these
>>> with clean pacman.conf and makepkg.conf files (directly from the pacman
>>> package) during first creation of clean chroot to ensure lack of user
>>> specific adjustments."
>>>
>>> I think this is misleading. If you *don't* provide these arguments, what
>>> you get is the default config files directly from the pacman package, right?
>>> So the desired thing in most circumstances is, presumably, NOT to override?
>>
>> I believe it copies the local ones on your file system. *Perhaps that
>> should be changed...
>
> After building my chroot, the resulting pacman.conf inside it was different
> than my /etc/pacman.conf. I didn't see anything in mkarchroot to suggest it
> was doing anything special to those files unless the options are passed in,
> so it seemed to me like it must be, by default, just installing the default
> ones along with the pacman package.
>
> Can anyone confirm that's the intended behavior? It seems to be how it
> works, unless I'm missing something.

If the -C or -M flags are specified, it will copy that file into the
chroot. If not specified, it does nothing (leaving the stock files
from the packages installed). Additionally, the -C config is used when
running pacman to build the chroot. If you want to use a specific
pacman.conf for the building but NOT copy it to the chroot, the -n
flag does that. The intent here was to, do something like "mkarchroot
-C /etc/pacman-i686.conf -n foo/ base base-devel" to build an i686
chroot on an x86_64 system.