Old 12-06-2009, 09:53 PM
Allan McRae

Default Punishment needed for not building in a chroot

Hi,

We have been through this many times... you should always build in a
clean chroot. But there are continuously bugs about packages linking to
non-deps. We should never have such bugs.

e.g. (FS#17409)

> readelf -d /usr/bin/mpd
0x00000001 (NEEDED) Shared library: [libjack.so.0]

> pactree -u mpd | sort
gmp
imlib2
kbproto
kernel-headers

How did that get to linking to jack without jack being in its dependency
tree? Poor packaging...

The tools are very simple to use and are described in the wiki
(http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/DeveloperWiki:Building_in_a_Clean_Chroot).
There is _no_ excuse not to use them. The are minor changes needed for
doing i686 builds on x86_64 and vise versa, but there are plenty of us
doing that so help is available. Ask for help if needed.

So, we need a creative punishment for those that causes bugs by not
building in a clean chroot. It is too early in the morning for me to be
creative so I am struggling to come up with ideas besides beatings and
removal of commit privileges. Any better ideas?

Allan