-   -   Qt 4.6.0 (http://www.linux-archive.org/archlinux-development/288992-qt-4-6-0-a.html)

Ronald van Haren 12-01-2009 10:06 PM

Qt 4.6.0

On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 11:45 PM, Pierre Schmitz <pierre@archlinux.de> wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I am still not sure if we can move Qt 4.6 to [testing] or even [extra]. In
> theory it should be comptabile with all previous 4.x releases but my
> experience tells me that there might be broken things.
>
> So it would be nice if you have a look at my packages and give some feedback.
> https://users.archlinux.de/~pierre/packages/{i686,x86_64}/
>
> Pierre
> --
>
> Pierre Schmitz, https://users.archlinux.de/~pierre

I bumped my local qt installation to your package. So far everything
seems to be working just fine (just some basic desktop usage so far),
as it did with the previous qt version. Let's see in the next couple
of days how it behaves under normal usage.

I know about all this qt source and binary compatibility and such, but
do you have any idea about performance? Would recompiling important
desktop packages like kdelibs/kdebase have a noticable performance
increase or would this be just marginally?

Ronald

Gerardo Exequiel Pozzi 12-02-2009 03:03 AM

Qt 4.6.0

Pierre Schmitz wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I am still not sure if we can move Qt 4.6 to [testing] or even [extra]. In
> theory it should be comptabile with all previous 4.x releases but my
> experience tells me that there might be broken things.
>
> So it would be nice if you have a look at my packages and give some feedback.
> https://users.archlinux.de/~pierre/packages/{i686,x86_64}/
>
> Pierre

Installed here (i686 at this moment). Font looks a bit bigger than with
previus qt.

http://archlinux.djgera.com.ar/screenshoots/qt45.png
http://archlinux.djgera.com.ar/screenshoots/qt46.png

--
Gerardo Exequiel Pozzi ( djgera )
http://www.djgera.com.ar

Attila 12-02-2009 05:31 AM

Qt 4.6.0

At Mittwoch, 2. Dezember 2009 05:03 Gerardo Exequiel Pozzi wrote:

> Installed here (i686 at this moment). Font looks a bit bigger than with
> previus qt.

Do you have a vertical LCD display perhaps? I ask because of this elder
discussion about problems in qt 4.5.0 with fonts and certain monitors:

I hope this will not be the same story.-)

See you, Attila

Raghavendra Prabhu 12-02-2009 08:51 AM

Qt 4.6.0

Qt 4.6 works fine for me (the one i got from here
https://users.archlinux.de/~pierre/packages/x86_64/<https://users.archlinux.de/~pierre/packages/{i686,x86_64}/>
)

Gerardo Exequiel Pozzi 12-02-2009 02:15 PM

Qt 4.6.0

> De: Attila <vodoo0904@sonnenkinder.org>
> Gerardo Exequiel Pozzi wrote:
>
> > Installed here (i686 at this moment). Font looks a bit
> bigger than with
> > previus qt.
>
> Do you have a vertical LCD display perhaps? I ask because
> of this elder
> discussion about problems in qt 4.5.0 with fonts and
> certain monitors:
>
> http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=67031
>
> I hope this will not be the same story.-)
>
> See you, Attila

Hi,

No 19" CRT monitor 1280x1024 @ 96x96 DPI + nvidia 190.42.

Seems that is the forum topic is unrelated, talks about font curruption. Here fonts are OK, the only difference is that are a bit bigger (Y) and a big more condensed (X).

Reading the QT changes, there are some about how fonts are interpreted, may be...

Thanks.

Yahoo! Cocina

http://ar.mujer.yahoo.com/cocina/

Lukáš Jirkovský 12-02-2009 04:38 PM

Qt 4.6.0

2009/12/2 Gerardo Exequiel Pozzi <vmlinuz386@yahoo.com.ar>:
>> De: Attila <vodoo0904@sonnenkinder.org>
>> Gerardo Exequiel Pozzi wrote:
>>
>> > Installed here (i686 at this moment). Font looks a bit
>> bigger than with
>> > previus qt.
>>
>> Do you have a vertical LCD display perhaps? I ask because
>> of this elder
>> discussion about problems in qt 4.5.0 with fonts and
>> certain monitors:
>>
>> http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=67031
>>
>> I hope this will not be the same story.-)
>>
>> See you, Attila
>>

> Hi,
>
> No 19" CRT monitor 1280x1024 @ 96x96 DPI + nvidia 190.42.
>
> Seems that is the forum topic is unrelated, talks about font curruption. Here fonts are OK, the only difference is that are a bit bigger (Y) and a big more condensed (X).
>
> Reading the QT changes, there are some about how fonts are interpreted, may be...
>
> Thanks.
>

> * * *Yahoo! Cocina
>
> Encontra las mejores recetas con Yahoo! Cocina.
>

> http://ar.mujer.yahoo.com/cocina/

The question is if it is a regression or if it was broken and now it's
fixed. How do these fonts look compared to the fonts rendered by
using, let's say GTK?

best,
Lukas

Attila 12-02-2009 07:02 PM

Qt 4.6.0

At Mittwoch, 2. Dezember 2009 16:15 Gerardo Exequiel Pozzi wrote:

> No 19" CRT monitor 1280x1024 @ 96x96 DPI + nvidia 190.42.

Oh, sorry for the question.-)

> Seems that is the forum topic is unrelated, talks about font curruption. Here
fonts are OK, the only difference is that are a bit bigger (Y) and a big more
condensed (X).

I must say that the new version for the fonts looks better for me but this be
only my 2c.

See you, Attila

Attila 12-02-2009 07:03 PM

Qt 4.6.0

At Mittwoch, 2. Dezember 2009 10:51 Raghavendra Prabhu wrote:

> Qt 4.6 works fine for me

And you you have a vertical LCD? But no problem if not because this sounds nice
and i hope it will give KDE some speedup.

See you, Attila

Ronald van Haren 12-03-2009 02:11 PM

Qt 4.6.0

On Wed, Dec 2, 2009 at 12:06 AM, Ronald van Haren <pressh@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 11:45 PM, Pierre Schmitz <pierre@archlinux.de> wrote:
>> Hi there,
>>
>> I am still not sure if we can move Qt 4.6 to [testing] or even [extra]. In
>> theory it should be comptabile with all previous 4.x releases but my
>> experience tells me that there might be broken things.
>>
>> So it would be nice if you have a look at my packages and give some feedback.
>> https://users.archlinux.de/~pierre/packages/{i686,x86_64}/
>>
>> Pierre
>> --
>>
>> Pierre Schmitz, https://users.archlinux.de/~pierre
>>

> I bumped my local qt installation to your package. So far everything
> seems to be working just fine (just some basic desktop usage so far),
> as it did with the previous qt version. Let's see in the next couple
> of days how it behaves under normal usage.
>
> I know about all this qt source and binary compatibility and such, but
> do you have any idea about performance? Would recompiling important
> desktop packages like kdelibs/kdebase have a noticable performance
> increase or would this be just marginally?
>
> Ronald

okay I've used it for the past one and a half days on a kde4 desktop I
didn't notice any difference with respect to the previous qt 4.5. I
opened a bunch of apps, browsed the web, listened to music, watched
some videos, looked some pictures.

If there is anything specific I should try let me know (above tested on x86_64).

Ronald

Gerardo Exequiel Pozzi 12-03-2009 11:05 PM

Qt 4.6.0

Lukáš Jirkovský wrote:
> 2009/12/2 Gerardo Exequiel Pozzi <vmlinuz386@yahoo.com.ar>:
>
>>> De: Attila <vodoo0904@sonnenkinder.org>

>>> bigger than with

>>> Do you have a vertical LCD display perhaps? I ask because
>>> of this elder
>>> discussion about problems in qt 4.5.0 with fonts and
>>> certain monitors:
>>>
>>> http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=67031
>>>
>>> I hope this will not be the same story.-)
>>>
>>> See you, Attila
>>>

>> Hi,
>>
>> No 19" CRT monitor 1280x1024 @ 96x96 DPI + nvidia 190.42.
>>
>> Seems that is the forum topic is unrelated, talks about font curruption. Here fonts are OK, the only difference is that are a bit bigger (Y) and a big more condensed (X).
>>
>> Reading the QT changes, there are some about how fonts are interpreted, may be...
>>
>> Thanks.
>>

> The question is if it is a regression or if it was broken and now it's
> fixed. How do these fonts look compared to the fonts rendered by
> using, let's say GTK?
>
> best,
> Lukas

Maybe is related to this (not sure, I didn't a deep research)

http://bugreports.qt.nokia.com/browse/QTBUG-4958

Under qt-4.5.3:
$ ./qt
point size: 10 -> 12.75