Old 01-04-2008, 05:08 AM
Eric Belanger

Default Cleanup update (was: Third list of removal candidates)

Acting as a thread bump, here is the updated list:

=====Packages for which interest/concern has been shown or hardware-related pkg=====

apmd replaced by acpi (incorrect. needed for older machines)
dmcradio Description: A ncurses-based console program for radio tuner cards.
efax utilities to send and receive faxes, I guess we should keep it unless another package provides fax support
hnb Description: hierarchical notebook (hnb) is a curses program to structure many kinds of data in one place
ipvsadm Description: The IP Virtual Server administration utility
isapnptools ISA Plug-And-Play devices support: shopuld be kept
jetty Description: A full-fledged production-grade lightweight Java Servlet Container
mrtg Description: Multi Router Traffic Grapher.
speedtouch modem drivers, should be kept
vconfig Description: VLAN configuration utility -- Is there a standard way to config VLANs? iputils or iproute?
zebra Description: Manages IPv4 and IPv6 routing protocols -- Do we have other router software? I'm curious if we cover more advancedserver functionality.
=====

=====Packages on the verge of being moved to unsupported=====

adns Description: adns is an asyncronous replacement resolver library
gpgme03 obsoleted by gpgme???
gprolog Can be removed, I guess. There is another prolog compiler (swi-prolog) in repo.
hashalot Description: A tool to hash stuff
hypermail Description: Hypermail is a program that takes a file of mail messages in UNIX mailbox format and generates a set of cross-referenced HTML documents
ippl Description: IP Protocols Logger
ircd Description: Internet Relay Chat Daemon
mod_security Description: An open source intrusion detection and prevention engine for web applications
netdude w libnetdude & libpcapnav used to inspect/manipulate tcpdump trace files. Should we keep it?
netkit-bootparamd Do we keep?
netkit-ntalk Isn't talk obsoleted by Instant Messaging and IRC?
netpipes Description: The netpipes package makes TCP/IP streams usable in shell scripts
oidentd ident server like pidentd (orphaned). Which one should we keep or should we remove both?
pam_mysql Description: A PAM module to authenticate users against mysql.
perl-email-date unused modules, to be removed from extra
pidentd ident server like oidentd (orphaned). Which one should we keep or should we remove both?
pppconfig Description: A text menu based utility for configuring ppp.
sendfile Description: The sendfile client transfers files to the sendfile daemon of the recipient's host
tmda Description: Tagged Message Delivery Agent.
xprobe Description: tool for remote OS fingerprinting based on ICMP responses received from the host
ytalk Description: A client of the talk/ntalk inet daemon
=====

believed to be clean.