Old 11-21-2009, 01:04 AM
Allan McRae

Default audio packages

Hi,

There have been plenty of bugs about enabling pulseaudio support in
various packages but they are routinely closed with a "deferred until it
is in [extra]" message. To get better audio support we would probably
want to bring in at least pulseaudio, oss and portaudio from [community].

So is there a current dev willing to maintain these?

Allan

Old 11-23-2009, 10:11 AM
bardo

2009/11/21 Allan McRae <allan@archlinux.org>:
> There have been plenty of bugs about enabling pulseaudio support in various
> packages but they are routinely closed with a "deferred until it is in
> [extra]" message. *To get better audio support we would probably want to
> bring in at least pulseaudio, oss and portaudio from [community].

I maintain pulse in [community] and couldn't agree more, this package
should go to [extra], since it is a makedepend for a lot of packages
which many users have to rebuild by themselves at the moment.

> So is there a current dev willing to maintain these?

If anybody wants to step up, get in touch with me, I can recap on the
current package situation and give a lot of tips for a mostly
hassle-free maintenance.

Since as far as I know not all devs read this ml, it could be a good
idea if someone forwarded this message to arch-dev-public.

Thanks,
Corrado

Old 11-23-2009, 10:18 AM
Ronald van Haren

forwarded message from aur-general

Old 11-25-2009, 05:42 AM
Allan McRae

Allan McRae wrote:

Hi,

There have been plenty of bugs about enabling pulseaudio support in
various packages but they are routinely closed with a "deferred until it
is in [extra]" message. To get better audio support we would probably
want to bring in at least pulseaudio, oss and portaudio from [community].

So is there a current dev willing to maintain these?

I guess not given the big response I have got so far. Do we want to
find someone that is interested?

Allan

Old 11-25-2009, 05:26 PM
Andreas Radke

Am Wed, 25 Nov 2009 16:42:46 +1000
schrieb Allan McRae <allan@archlinux.org>:

> I guess not given the big response I have got so far. Do we want to
> find someone that is interested?
>
> Allan

Probably nobody. The big desktops may give the direction in our
official repos. For now Jan is packaging Gnome without pulseaudio
support for good reasons...

Leave it up to the community for now.

-Andy

Old 11-25-2009, 05:46 PM
Jan de Groot

On Wed, 2009-11-25 at 19:26 +0100, Andreas Radke wrote:
> Am Wed, 25 Nov 2009 16:42:46 +1000
> schrieb Allan McRae <allan@archlinux.org>:
>
> > I guess not given the big response I have got so far. Do we want to
> > find someone that is interested?
> >
> > Allan
> >

> Probably nobody. The big desktops may give the direction in our
> official repos. For now Jan is packaging Gnome without pulseaudio
> support for good reasons...
>
> Leave it up to the community for now.

My reasons for not supporting pulseaudio in GNOME is because I don't
have need for pulseaudio and because I don't want to maintain it.
Without a pulseaudio maintainer, I won't include support for it, simple
as that.

Old 11-26-2009, 02:08 PM
Pierre Schmitz

Am Mittwoch 25 November 2009 19:46:43 schrieb Jan de Groot:
> My reasons for not supporting pulseaudio in GNOME is because I don't
> have need for pulseaudio and because I don't want to maintain it.
> Without a pulseaudio maintainer, I won't include support for it, simple
> as that.

Same for KDE. 4.4 will have improved support for pulseaudio, but as long as
nobody wants to maintain it in extra it has to be disabled.

Personally I have not much use for pulseaudio.

Old 11-26-2009, 10:06 PM
Allan McRae

Pierre Schmitz wrote:

My reasons for not supporting pulseaudio in GNOME is because I don't
have need for pulseaudio and because I don't want to maintain it.
Without a pulseaudio maintainer, I won't include support for it, simple
as that.

Same for KDE. 4.4 will have improved support for pulseaudio, but as long as
nobody wants to maintain it in extra it has to be disabled.

Personally I have not much use for pulseaudio.

OK, if no-one is interested in maintaining pulseaudio/oss/portaudio in
[extra] and no-one seems interested in bringing someone on to do that, I
will just close the bugs requesting pulse-audio support in [extra] packages.

Allan