Old 11-15-2009, 03:24 PM
Roman Kyrylych

Default kbd-1.15.1

On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 12:10, Roman Kyrylych <roman.kyrylych@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 12:20, Allan McRae <allan@archlinux.org> wrote:
>> Roman Kyrylych wrote:

>>> The keymap was not changed, but there were numerous changes in the parser.
>>> Do you use UTF-8 locale?
>>
>> /etc/rc.conf:
>> LOCALE="en_AU.UTF-8"
>> KEYMAP="us"
>
> I cannot reproduce the problem. :-/

Okay, found the reason.
>From http://bugs.gentoo.org/289265 :
"kbd 1.15 used to temporarily set the kbd_mode to unicode with loadkeys -u. kbd
1.15.1 doesn't. Changing the init script to run kbd_mode before loadkeys gets
rid of the errors."

But in our rc.sysinit there is this code:
if echo "$LOCALE" | /bin/grep -qi utf ; then
stat_busy "Setting Consoles to UTF-8 mode"
# UTF-8 consoles are default since 2.6.24 kernel
# this code is needed not only for older kernels,
# but also when user has set vt.default_utf8=0 but LOCALE is *.UTF-8.
for i in /dev/tty[0-9]*; do
/usr/bin/kbd_mode -u < ${i}
printf "33%%G" > ${i}
done
# the $CONSOLE check helps us avoid this when running scripts from cron
echo 'if [ "$CONSOLE" = "" -a "$TERM" = "linux" -a -t 1 ];
then printf "33%%G"; fi' >>/etc/profile.d/locale.sh
stat_done
[ -n "$KEYMAP" ] && status "Loading Keyboard Map: $KEYMAP"
/bin/loadkeys -q -u $KEYMAP
else
stat_busy "Setting Consoles to legacy mode"
# make non-UTF-8 consoles work on 2.6.24 and newer kernels
for i in /dev/tty[0-9]*; do
/usr/bin/kbd_mode -a < ${i}
printf "33%%@" > ${i}
then printf "33%%@"; fi' >>/etc/profile.d/locale.sh
stat_done
[ -n "$KEYMAP" ] && status "Loading Keyboard Map: $KEYMAP"
/bin/loadkeys -q $KEYMAP
fi

So it looks like the problem should not happen on Arch
when you have 'utf' (case insensitive) in your LOCALE.

To Allan and everyone who have the "KDSKBENT: Invalid argument" issue:
* does your system says 'Setting Consoles to UTF-8 mode' during boot?
* what does the output of `kbd_mode` runned from a tty says?

The patch that makes sure loadkeys -u first sets console in UTF-8 mode
has been submitted upstream,
but I am not sure if there is a need to apply it to our package immediately,
because there is no reason why correct Arch config should have this problem.

P.S.: Note that /usr/bin/kbd_mode -u < ${i} may look weird,
but from man kbd_mode :
"kbd_mode operates on the console specified by the "-C" option;
if there is none, the console associated with stdin is used."
And according to my checks < ${i} works, however it may be better to use -C.

--
Roman Kyrylych (*оман Кирилич)

Old 11-15-2009, 11:24 PM
Allan McRae

From http://bugs.gentoo.org/289265 :

[...]

I get the UTF-8 message during boot and kbd_mode says the keyboards is
in UTF-8 mode.

But something has chnaged since I last looked at this. I no longer get
the KDSKBENT message, just

> sudo /bin/loadkeys -q -u us
KDSKBDIACRUC: Invalid argument

I have no idea what changed... (new initscripts?)

Allan

Old 11-16-2009, 09:33 AM
Roman Kyrylych

On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 02:24, Allan McRae <allan@archlinux.org> wrote:
> Roman Kyrylych wrote:
>> So it looks like the problem should not happen on Arch
>> when you have 'utf' (case insensitive) in your LOCALE.
>>
>> To Allan and everyone who have the "KDSKBENT: Invalid argument" issue:
>> * does your system says 'Setting Consoles to UTF-8 mode' during boot?
>> * what does the output of `kbd_mode` runned from a tty says?
>
> I get the UTF-8 message during boot and kbd_mode says the keyboards is in
> UTF-8 mode.
>
> But something has chnaged since I last looked at this. *I no longer get the
> KDSKBENT message, just
>
>> sudo /bin/loadkeys -q -u us
> KDSKBDIACRUC: Invalid argument

Google finds only this:
Seems to be i686 only.

Can anyone else reproduce this?

It is weird that there is only one referrence to the issue
on the whole internets (two if counting this thread). :-/

> I have no idea what changed... (new initscripts?)

Only one relevant change was made:
http://projects.archlinux.org/initscripts.git/commit/?id=65f4102d48726afa4324d789551e7a74c806a590

--
Roman Kyrylych (*оман Кирилич)

Old 11-16-2009, 09:36 AM
Roman Kyrylych

On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 12:33, Roman Kyrylych <roman.kyrylych@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 02:24, Allan McRae <allan@archlinux.org> wrote:
>> Roman Kyrylych wrote:
>>> So it looks like the problem should not happen on Arch
>>> when you have 'utf' (case insensitive) in your LOCALE.
>>>
>>> To Allan and everyone who have the "KDSKBENT: Invalid argument" issue:
>>> * does your system says 'Setting Consoles to UTF-8 mode' during boot?
>>> * what does the output of `kbd_mode` runned from a tty says?
>>
>> I get the UTF-8 message during boot and kbd_mode says the keyboards is in
>> UTF-8 mode.
>>
>> But something has chnaged since I last looked at this. *I no longer get the
>> KDSKBENT message, just
>>
>>> sudo /bin/loadkeys -q -u us
>> KDSKBDIACRUC: Invalid argument
>
> Google finds only this:
> Seems to be i686 only.

Do you have i686 with x86_64 kernel?

Old 11-16-2009, 09:42 AM
Allan McRae

Roman Kyrylych wrote:

So it looks like the problem should not happen on Arch
when you have 'utf' (case insensitive) in your LOCALE.

To Allan and everyone who have the "KDSKBENT: Invalid argument" issue:
* does your system says 'Setting Consoles to UTF-8 mode' during boot?
* what does the output of `kbd_mode` runned from a tty says?

I get the UTF-8 message during boot and kbd_mode says the keyboards is in
UTF-8 mode.

But something has chnaged since I last looked at this. I no longer get the
KDSKBENT message, just

sudo /bin/loadkeys -q -u us

KDSKBDIACRUC: Invalid argument

Google finds only this:
Seems to be i686 only.

Do you have i686 with x86_64 kernel?

Umm... yes! I should probably install the x86_64 version for that it seems.

Allan

Old 11-16-2009, 10:50 AM
Roman Kyrylych

On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 12:42, Allan McRae <allan@archlinux.org> wrote:
> Roman Kyrylych wrote:
>> On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 12:33, Roman Kyrylych <roman.kyrylych@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Google finds only this:
>>> http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=540534
>>> Seems to be i686 only.
>>
>> Do you have i686 with x86_64 kernel?
>
> Umm... yes! *I should probably install the x86_64 version for that it seems.

Okay, so this seems like a minor issue (by number of users who may be affected).
Is it okay to move the package to Core in this case?
I will report the problem to upstream.

BTW, does previous version work on i686 system with x86_64 kernel or not?
(judging from Debian's report it shouldn't but who knows)

--
Roman Kyrylych (*оман Кирилич)

Old 11-16-2009, 10:57 AM
Allan McRae

wrote:

On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 02:24, Allan McRae <allan@archlinux.org> wrote:

KDSKBDIACRUC: Invalid argument

Google finds only this:
Seems to be i686 only.

Do you have i686 with x86_64 kernel?

Umm... yes! I should probably install the x86_64 version for that it seems.

Okay, so this seems like a minor issue (by number of users who may be affected).
Is it okay to move the package to Core in this case?
I will report the problem to upstream.

BTW, does previous version work on i686 system with x86_64 kernel or not?
(judging from Debian's report it shouldn't but who knows)

The version in [core] works for me. So it seems to be something in
Debian's patchset that made it into 1.15.1.

Anyway, I will signoff both. I only know two other people stupid enough
to do this... :P

Allan

Old 01-03-2010, 10:08 AM
Roman Kyrylych

On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 13:50, Roman Kyrylych <roman.kyrylych@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 12:42, Allan McRae <allan@archlinux.org> wrote:
>> Roman Kyrylych wrote:

>>> Do you have i686 with x86_64 kernel?
>>
>> Umm... yes! *I should probably install the x86_64 version for that it seems.
>
> Okay, so this seems like a minor issue (by number of users who may be affected).
> Is it okay to move the package to Core in this case?
> I will report the problem to upstream.

Got this reply on kbd mailing list:
<quote>
> This is a kernel issue (KDSKBDIACRUC is not in ioctl32()’s compatibility
> list). *I’m seeing about it.

Try upgrading to 2.6.32; the problem is already fixed there.
</quote>

--
Roman Kyrylych (*оман Кирилич)

Old 01-03-2010, 10:47 AM
Allan McRae

wrote:

On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 02:24, Allan McRae <allan@archlinux.org> wrote:

KDSKBDIACRUC: Invalid argument

Google finds only this:
Seems to be i686 only.

Do you have i686 with x86_64 kernel?

Umm... yes! I should probably install the x86_64 version for that it seems.

Okay, so this seems like a minor issue (by number of users who may be affected).
Is it okay to move the package to Core in this case?
I will report the problem to upstream.

Got this reply on kbd mailing list:
<quote>

This is a kernel issue (KDSKBDIACRUC is not in ioctl32()’s compatibility
list). I’m seeing about it.

Try upgrading to 2.6.32; the problem is already fixed there.
</quote>

I was sure I had replied saying that the kernel upgrade had fixed
this... it appears not!

Signoff both,
Allan