FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > ArchLinux > ArchLinux Development

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 01-03-2008, 08:04 PM
"Aaron Griffin"
 
Default abs split and changes (was: Status questions)

On Jan 3, 2008 2:55 PM, Dan McGee <dpmcgee@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jan 3, 2008 2:30 PM, Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Jan 3, 2008 2:27 PM, eliott <eliott@cactuswax.net> wrote:
> > > 2. ABS move to rsync.
> > > There was some talk regarding moving ABS away from cvsup, towards a
> > > more generalized scm agnostic solution such as rsync. I had a proof of
> > > concept abs implementation using rsync functional, and sent patches to
> > > *someone* (memory is foggy..maybe it was Dan?). Is this still
> > > something on the general todo list?
> >
> > You sent patches to me. Last status report I mentioned that we're
> > waiting for 3.1 as it should split out abs into a new package,
> > allowing us to make these changes at the same time.
>
> http://projects.archlinux.org/git/?p=abs.git;a=summary
> git clone git://projects.archlinux.org/abs.git abs
>
> Anyone want to take this on? It really isn't a high maintenance thing.
> It has been split into its own repository now, and anyone can take it
> and run with Eliott's idea (which I'll give a +1). It really shouldn't
> be too much of a burden on anyone, and you get that awesome feeling of
> leading a project (even if it is small!). I'm willing to help out, but
> my "full-time" duties will always tend to be with pacman so this might
> not get as much love from me as someone else could give it.

Cheers! And thanks.
I have the "patches" (which is, in fact, a tarball of actual files,
heh) that I can apply. I am busy most of the night but can likely get
to this later - Eliott, Dan, would you like me to forward this on to
you guys in case one of you are faster?

It'd be nice if we can get some more hands in the code around here.
Right now it seems the only projects moving are the ones spearheaded
by Dan and/or Eliott and I may have made some recent changes to the
initscripts stuff, but it was more merging other people's patches.

I'm *sure* we have more coders than this, so it'd be nice to get other
people doing some work on this. If that isn't feasible, we're going to
have to bring on more developers in this capacity, otherwise these
projects are going to stagnate.

What it means to take ownership of ABS:
* You gain full control of the code base
* You release the future "abs" package
* You make most of the decisions regarding ABS (though, hefty ones
should be discussed, it's only fair).

Anyone willing to swing the bat?
 
Old 01-03-2008, 08:18 PM
"Travis Willard"
 
Default abs split and changes (was: Status questions)

On Jan 3, 2008 4:04 PM, Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin@gmail.com> wrote:

On Jan 3, 2008 2:55 PM, Dan McGee <dpmcgee@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jan 3, 2008 2:30 PM, Aaron Griffin <
aaronmgriffin@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Jan 3, 2008 2:27 PM, eliott <eliott@cactuswax.net> wrote:
> > > 2. ABS move to rsync.
> > > *There was some talk regarding moving ABS away from cvsup, towards a

> > > more generalized scm agnostic solution such as rsync. I had a proof of
> > > concept abs implementation using rsync functional, and sent patches to
> > > *someone* (memory is foggy..maybe it was Dan?). Is this still

> > > something on the general todo list?
> >
> > You sent patches to me. Last status report I mentioned that we're
> > waiting for 3.1 as it should split out abs into a new package,

> > allowing us to make these changes at the same time.
>
> http://projects.archlinux.org/git/?p=abs.git;a=summary

> git clone git://projects.archlinux.org/abs.git abs
>
> Anyone want to take this on? It really isn't a high maintenance thing.
> It has been split into its own repository now, and anyone can take it

> and run with Eliott's idea (which I'll give a +1). It really shouldn't
> be too much of a burden on anyone, and you get that awesome feeling of
> leading a project (even if it is small!). I'm willing to help out, but

> my "full-time" duties will always tend to be with pacman so this might
> not get as much love from me as someone else could give it.

Cheers! And thanks.
I have the "patches" (which is, in fact, a tarball of actual files,

heh) that I can apply. I am busy most of the night but can likely get
to this later - Eliott, Dan, would you like me to forward this on to
you guys in case one of you are faster?

It'd be nice if we can get some more hands in the code around here.

Right now it seems the only projects moving are the ones spearheaded
by Dan and/or Eliott and I may have made some recent changes to the
initscripts stuff, but it was more merging other people's patches.


I'm *sure* we have more coders than this, so it'd be nice to get other
people doing some work on this. If that isn't feasible, we're going to
have to bring on more developers in this capacity, otherwise these

projects are going to stagnate.

What it means to take ownership of ABS:
* You gain full control of the code base
* You release the future "abs" package
* You make most of the decisions regarding ABS (though, hefty ones

should be discussed, it's only fair).

Anyone willing to swing the bat?
I am a coder by profession.* I just do packaging right now for Arch.* I've wanted, for a while, to get involved in something greater than packaging.* I contributed a bit to pacman, but only a bit.


I want to help with the website stuff, but I know zero django and zero python.* I've been feeling kinda burnt-out lately too, so I'm worried if I dive into this I'll lose interest halfway through and end up being no help at all.


I could take up ABS, I suppose, though I don't have any grand super plans, ideas, or roadmaps for it.* *shrug** I'm certainly decent at maintenance, however, based on my tendancy to handle packages, so I could at least do that for ABS for a while, until inspiration hits. :P
 
Old 01-03-2008, 08:31 PM
"Travis Willard"
 
Default abs split and changes (was: Status questions)

On Jan 3, 2008 4:18 PM, Travis Willard <travis@archlinux.org> wrote:

On Jan 3, 2008 4:04 PM, Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin@gmail.com> wrote:


On Jan 3, 2008 2:55 PM, Dan McGee <dpmcgee@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jan 3, 2008 2:30 PM, Aaron Griffin <

aaronmgriffin@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Jan 3, 2008 2:27 PM, eliott <eliott@cactuswax.net> wrote:
> > > 2. ABS move to rsync.

> > > *There was some talk regarding moving ABS away from cvsup, towards a

> > > more generalized scm agnostic solution such as rsync. I had a proof of
> > > concept abs implementation using rsync functional, and sent patches to
> > > *someone* (memory is foggy..maybe it was Dan?). Is this still

> > > something on the general todo list?
> >
> > You sent patches to me. Last status report I mentioned that we're
> > waiting for 3.1 as it should split out abs into a new package,

> > allowing us to make these changes at the same time.
>
> http://projects.archlinux.org/git/?p=abs.git;a=summary


> git clone git://projects.archlinux.org/abs.git abs
>
> Anyone want to take this on? It really isn't a high maintenance thing.
> It has been split into its own repository now, and anyone can take it

> and run with Eliott's idea (which I'll give a +1). It really shouldn't
> be too much of a burden on anyone, and you get that awesome feeling of
> leading a project (even if it is small!). I'm willing to help out, but

> my "full-time" duties will always tend to be with pacman so this might
> not get as much love from me as someone else could give it.

Cheers! And thanks.
I have the "patches" (which is, in fact, a tarball of actual files,

heh) that I can apply. I am busy most of the night but can likely get
to this later - Eliott, Dan, would you like me to forward this on to
you guys in case one of you are faster?

It'd be nice if we can get some more hands in the code around here.

Right now it seems the only projects moving are the ones spearheaded
by Dan and/or Eliott and I may have made some recent changes to the
initscripts stuff, but it was more merging other people's patches.



I'm *sure* we have more coders than this, so it'd be nice to get other
people doing some work on this. If that isn't feasible, we're going to
have to bring on more developers in this capacity, otherwise these

projects are going to stagnate.

What it means to take ownership of ABS:
* You gain full control of the code base
* You release the future "abs" package
* You make most of the decisions regarding ABS (though, hefty ones

should be discussed, it's only fair).

Anyone willing to swing the bat?
I am a coder by profession.* I just do packaging right now for Arch.* I've wanted, for a while, to get involved in something greater than packaging.* I contributed a bit to pacman, but only a bit.


I want to help with the website stuff, but I know zero django and zero python.* I've been feeling kinda burnt-out lately too, so I'm worried if I dive into this I'll lose interest halfway through and end up being no help at all.


I could take up ABS, I suppose, though I don't have any grand super plans, ideas, or roadmaps for it.* *shrug** I'm certainly decent at maintenance, however, based on my tendancy to handle packages, so I could at least do that for ABS for a while, until inspiration hits. :P



Bah - that sounded so weak.* The message I intended to convey:

Yes, I will take over the ABS project.* Just don't expect me to come at it with a ton of great ideas right out of the gate.
 
Old 01-03-2008, 08:51 PM
eliott
 
Default abs split and changes (was: Status questions)

> Bah - that sounded so weak. The message I intended to convey:
>
> Yes, I will take over the ABS project. Just don't expect me to come at it
> with a ton of great ideas right out of the gate.

I am willing to take it over as well, since I have my meat hooks all
over the backend.
However, I am *more than* willing to just help out with the project,
if someone else drives. In fact, I would shit myself with happy
flowers and panda bears.

That being said, if nobody else wants to drive, I surely can (and will
take any help i can get). My initial email was to see if there was
any interest, and see if anything had been done since I last heard
about it.
 
Old 01-03-2008, 08:53 PM
"Travis Willard"
 
Default abs split and changes (was: Status questions)

On Jan 3, 2008 4:51 PM, eliott <eliott@cactuswax.net> wrote:

> Bah - that sounded so weak. *The message I intended to convey:
>
> Yes, I will take over the ABS project. *Just don't expect me to come at it
> with a ton of great ideas right out of the gate.


I am willing to take it over as well, since I have my meat hooks all
over the backend.
However, I am *more than* willing to just help out with the project,
if someone else drives. In fact, I would shit myself with happy

flowers and panda bears.

I drive - you get shotgun.
*
 
Old 01-03-2008, 08:58 PM
"Dan McGee"
 
Default abs split and changes (was: Status questions)

On Jan 3, 2008 3:53 PM, Travis Willard <travis@archlinux.org> wrote:
> On Jan 3, 2008 4:51 PM, eliott <eliott@cactuswax.net> wrote:
>
> >
> > > Bah - that sounded so weak. The message I intended to convey:
> > >
> > > Yes, I will take over the ABS project. Just don't expect me to come at
> it
> > > with a ton of great ideas right out of the gate.
> >
> > I am willing to take it over as well, since I have my meat hooks all
> > over the backend.
> > However, I am *more than* willing to just help out with the project,
> > if someone else drives. In fact, I would shit myself with happy
> > flowers and panda bears.
> >
>
> I drive - you get shotgun.

Eliott, are you on pacman-dev? Discussion there on anything would
probably be our best venue, with an [abs] prefix on the mails. If you
are not on the list, we'll just ensure you get CC'ed in on anything.

Aaron or Eliott, can you add an abs-git group sometime on gerolde and
put Travis, the two of you, and I in the group? And then chown the
repo to travis.abs-git? Thanks in advance.

-Dan
 
Old 01-03-2008, 09:03 PM
eliott
 
Default abs split and changes (was: Status questions)

> Eliott, are you on pacman-dev? Discussion there on anything would
> probably be our best venue, with an [abs] prefix on the mails. If you
> are not on the list, we'll just ensure you get CC'ed in on anything.

Not currently, but I can surely add myself.

> Aaron or Eliott, can you add an abs-git group sometime on gerolde and
> put Travis, the two of you, and I in the group? And then chown the
> repo to travis.abs-git? Thanks in advance.

sure thing.
 
Old 01-03-2008, 09:12 PM
eliott
 
Default abs split and changes (was: Status questions)

> > Aaron or Eliott, can you add an abs-git group sometime on gerolde and
> > put Travis, the two of you, and I in the group? And then chown the
> > repo to travis.abs-git? Thanks in advance.
>
> sure thing.

done.
 
Old 01-03-2008, 09:28 PM
"Aaron Griffin"
 
Default abs split and changes (was: Status questions)

On Jan 3, 2008 3:51 PM, eliott <eliott@cactuswax.net> wrote:
> However, I am *more than* willing to just help out with the project,
> if someone else drives. In fact, I would shit myself with happy
> flowers and panda bears.

I just printed this. You will hang on my office wall.

On Jan 3, 2008 3:58 PM, Dan McGee <dpmcgee@gmail.com> wrote:
> Aaron or Eliott, can you add an abs-git group sometime on gerolde and
> put Travis, the two of you, and I in the group? And then chown the
> repo to travis.abs-git? Thanks in advance.

Just because I'm anal, the colon spec is probably better to use when
you specify these things 8)

Travis, I will forward along Eliott's ABS changes
 
Old 01-03-2008, 09:35 PM
eliott
 
Default abs split and changes (was: Status questions)

> Just because I'm anal, the colon spec is probably better to use when
> you specify these things 8)

HAHA!
I said the same thing to Dan over jabber.
lolz

@dan: your face!
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 11:37 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org