Old 11-13-2009, 04:55 PM
Thomas Bächler

Default New NVIDIA legacy drivers compatible with our latest xorg-server

Jan de Groot schrieb:

To solve all problems, we just have to wait for a new nvidia driver that
fixes the awful slowdowns with an xorg-server package that has the
fedora patch applied. Fedora claims the patch isn't the fault here and
forwarded this issue to Nvidia. I don't know when we can expect a new
driver with the fix though.

Really? That sucks. If it was just a problem in Xorg, we could fix it
and not care about nvidia.

Old 11-13-2009, 04:59 PM
Jan de Groot

On Fri, 2009-11-13 at 18:55 +0100, Thomas Bächler wrote:
> Jan de Groot schrieb:
> > To solve all problems, we just have to wait for a new nvidia driver that
> > fixes the awful slowdowns with an xorg-server package that has the
> > fedora patch applied. Fedora claims the patch isn't the fault here and
> > forwarded this issue to Nvidia. I don't know when we can expect a new
> > driver with the fix though.
>
> Really? That sucks. If it was just a problem in Xorg, we could fix it
> and not care about nvidia.

Without the patch, we have segfaults in multiple drivers. With the first
version of the patch, nvidia works more or less, but all other drivers
have problems. With the last version of the patch, everything works, but
Nvidia is dead slow in KDE, with or without desktop effects.
Fedora closed the bug with CANTFIX and forwarded it to nvidia. The event
overflow stuff that causes the slowdowns only happens with nvidia, not
with nv or nouveau.