Old 01-03-2008, 10:24 AM
"Varun Acharya"

Default libgpg-error 1.6-1 + libgcrypt-1.4.0-1

On Jan 1, 2008 11:46 PM, Andreas Radke <a.radke@arcor.de> wrote:

both packages are just updates that depend on each other and i haven't
found any broken package, that depends on them. both are in testing for
all archs.

-Andy

Signed off for x86_64

Old 01-03-2008, 06:28 PM
"Aaron Griffin"

On Jan 3, 2008 1:05 PM, Andreas Radke <a.radke@arcor.de> wrote:
> Am Tue, 1 Jan 2008 19:16:32 +0100
> schrieb Andreas Radke <a.radke@arcor.de>:
>

> > both packages are just updates that depend on each other and i haven't
> > found any broken package, that depends on them. both are in testing
> > for all archs.
> >
> > -Andy
> >

> noone for i686?

I'd test.. but I have no idea what these libs do and/or are for. What
test did you perform?

Old 01-08-2008, 02:22 PM
"Dan McGee"

On Jan 4, 2008 11:21 AM, Andreas Radke <a.radke@arcor.de> wrote:
> Am Thu, 3 Jan 2008 13:28:49 -0600
> schrieb "Aaron Griffin" <aaronmgriffin@gmail.com>:
>
> > I'd test.. but I have no idea what these libs do and/or are for. What
> > test did you perform?
>
> http://www.gnupg.org/related_software/libraries.en.html
>
> libgcrypt
> Libgcrypt is a general purpose cryptographic library based on the code
> from GnuPG. It provides functions for all cryptographic building
> blocks: symmetric ciphers, hash algorithms, MACs, public key
> algorithms, large integer functions, random numbers and a lot of
> supporting functions.
>
> libgpg-error
> Libgpg-error is helper library used by a couple of other projects to
> provide a common set of error codes and descriptions.
>

> I haven't done any deep testing. I'm happy that lddd didn't report any
> broken linking. I took these packages just to prevent that they are not
> orphaned. If we have somebody who knows them better tell me.
>
> For my system:
>
> [root@workstation64 andyrtr]# env LANG=C pacman -Qi libgpg-error libgcrypt | grep Required
> Required By : dirmngr gpgme libgcrypt libksba
> Required By : cryptsetup dirmngr gnupg2 libnetworkmanager libxslt
>
> Test any of these packages and tell me if you find something broken.

<http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/9114>

So...we have some issues here, and this got moved to core. I wanted to
surprised to see not a single signoff for i686. Why on earth did this
get moved out of testing?

Usually I don't like to point fingers at a single person, but we had a
clear breakdown of policy here, and its hard to spread the blame.

-Dan

Old 01-08-2008, 02:40 PM
"Aaron Griffin"

On Jan 8, 2008 9:22 AM, Dan McGee <dpmcgee@gmail.com> wrote:
> <http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/9114>
>
> So...we have some issues here, and this got moved to core. I wanted to
> surprised to see not a single signoff for i686. Why on earth did this
> get moved out of testing?
>
> Usually I don't like to point fingers at a single person, but we had a
> clear breakdown of policy here, and its hard to spread the blame.

Thanks for pointing this out Dan. It is true. We didn't have any
signoffs here for i686. I brought up the topic of testing, but do not
actually use any of the encryption and pgp type stuff, so wouldn't
even know where to begin.

This little testing policy was put in place for a reason. Not to make
people's lives harder, but, in fact to make them easier. Less errors
are a good thing. And the first time we let our policy collapse, we
have (according to that bug report) at least 3 packages crashing due
to this update that was pushed to core inappropriately.

Andy, next time please be more careful. Now we have to mop up a mess
created by being too hasty.

So, do we rollback the libgcrypt in core, or do we wait? Jan, you
appear to have done some investigation - could you fill us in?