Old 11-05-2009, 09:54 PM
Aaron Griffin

Default move to extra

On Thu, Nov 5, 2009 at 4:43 PM, Ionut Biru <biru.ionut@gmail.com> wrote:
> hi,
> i want to move $subject to extra to have a complete gnome desktop. this
> package brings two additional dependency, liboobs and system-tools-backends.
>
> what to you think?

While I snicker at the name liboobs, I have no issue here

Old 11-05-2009, 10:02 PM
Jan de Groot

On Fri, 2009-11-06 at 00:43 +0200, Ionut Biru wrote:
> hi,
> i want to move $subject to extra to have a complete gnome desktop. this
> package brings two additional dependency, liboobs and
> system-tools-backends.
>
> what to you think?

How's the support for our distribution at this moment? Is everything
supported, or do we still miss some parts?

Old 11-05-2009, 10:23 PM
James Rayner

On Fri, Nov 06, 2009 at 12:43:25AM +0200, Ionut Biru wrote:
> hi,
> i want to move $subject to extra to have a complete gnome desktop.
> this package brings two additional dependency, liboobs and
> system-tools-backends.
>
> what to you think?

I don't like the idea. I don't think we need the GUI tools in the repos.
They hide the underlying system, they're anything but simple, and just
don't fit the Arch Way in any way shape or form. Last time I saw
gnome-system-tools were a horrible mishmash of perl scripts and a
nightmare to maintain - however that was a long time ago.

I'll probably be vetoed on this, partially because we already ship a
pile of GUI tools, KDE, wicd, etc, but I just don't think we need to
include them. If you'd posted them 4 years ago, I think everyone would
have said 'no', but things change...

James

Old 11-05-2009, 10:24 PM
Ionut Biru

i want to move $subject to extra to have a complete gnome desktop. this
package brings two additional dependency, liboobs and
system-tools-backends.

what to you think?

How's the support for our distribution at this moment? Is everything
supported, or do we still miss some parts?

the only thing that i noticed is that Services doesn't work quite well.
i think that i will disable it.

--
Ionut