Old 11-01-2009, 10:11 AM
Roman Kyrylych

Default /var/empty

Shouldn't /var/empty be created by filesystem package,
instead of by packages that require it? (like openssh and openntpd)

--
Roman Kyrylych (*оман Кирилич)

Old 11-01-2009, 04:23 PM
Dan McGee

On Sun, Nov 1, 2009 at 5:11 AM, Roman Kyrylych <roman.kyrylych@gmail.com> wrote:
> Shouldn't /var/empty be created by filesystem package,
> instead of by packages that require it? (like openssh and openntpd)

It is. The problem is these packages "install" it in their tarball, so
when you remove one of them and pacman sees an empty directory left
behind, it thinks it is no longer necessary and removes it.

-Dan

Old 11-01-2009, 05:14 PM
Roman Kyrylych

On Sun, Nov 1, 2009 at 19:23, Dan McGee <dpmcgee@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 1, 2009 at 5:11 AM, Roman Kyrylych <roman.kyrylych@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Shouldn't /var/empty be created by filesystem package,
>> instead of by packages that require it? (like openssh and openntpd)
>
> It is.

It is not:
$ pacman -Ql filesystem | grep empty
$

> The problem is these packages "install" it in their tarball, so
> when you remove one of them and pacman sees an empty directory left
> behind, it thinks it is no longer necessary and removes it.

Yes, I know this, but what I suggest is to fix in in a different way:
installing it as part of filesystem and fix packages to not install it.

Thomas' addition of /var/empty existence check is okay though,
because sshd is important enough to be working regardless of /var/empty issues.

--
Roman Kyrylych (*оман Кирилич)

Old 11-01-2009, 05:14 PM
Xavier

On Sun, Nov 1, 2009 at 6:23 PM, Dan McGee <dpmcgee@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 1, 2009 at 5:11 AM, Roman Kyrylych <roman.kyrylych@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Shouldn't /var/empty be created by filesystem package,
>> instead of by packages that require it? (like openssh and openntpd)
>
> It is. The problem is these packages "install" it in their tarball, so
> when you remove one of them and pacman sees an empty directory left
> behind, it thinks it is no longer necessary and removes it.
>
> -Dan

filesystem does not seem to create /var/empty directory.
But anyway, openntpd was just upgraded to no longer use /var/empty.
This is why the issue triggered again.
The upgrade to openntpd triggered the problem it was trying to solve,
but the problem will be fixed when everyone has the new openntpd.

http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/15668

Old 11-01-2009, 10:51 PM
Aaron Griffin

On Sun, Nov 1, 2009 at 1:14 PM, Roman Kyrylych <roman.kyrylych@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 1, 2009 at 19:23, Dan McGee <dpmcgee@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sun, Nov 1, 2009 at 5:11 AM, Roman Kyrylych <roman.kyrylych@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Shouldn't /var/empty be created by filesystem package,
>>> instead of by packages that require it? (like openssh and openntpd)
>>
>> It is.
>
> It is not:
> $ pacman -Ql filesystem | grep empty
> $
>
>> The problem is these packages "install" it in their tarball, so
>> when you remove one of them and pacman sees an empty directory left
>> behind, it thinks it is no longer necessary and removes it.
>
> Yes, I know this, but what I suggest is to fix in in a different way:
> installing it as part of filesystem and fix packages to not install it.

Or just install /var/empty/.$pkgname or something silly like that

Old 11-01-2009, 11:41 PM
Dan McGee

On Sun, Nov 1, 2009 at 5:51 PM, Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 1, 2009 at 1:14 PM, Roman Kyrylych <roman.kyrylych@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> It is.
>>
>> It is not:
>> $ pacman -Ql filesystem | grep empty
>> $
>>
>>> The problem is these packages "install" it in their tarball, so
>>> when you remove one of them and pacman sees an empty directory left
>>> behind, it thinks it is no longer necessary and removes it.
>>
>> Yes, I know this, but what I suggest is to fix in in a different way:
>> installing it as part of filesystem and fix packages to not install it.
>
> Or just install /var/empty/.$pkgname or something silly like that

And then defeat the purpose of having a completely empty directory?

-Dan

Old 11-02-2009, 01:15 AM
Aaron Griffin

On Sun, Nov 1, 2009 at 7:41 PM, Dan McGee <dpmcgee@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 1, 2009 at 5:51 PM, Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> It is not:
>>> $ pacman -Ql filesystem | grep empty
>>> $

>>> Yes, I know this, but what I suggest is to fix in in a different way:
>>> installing it as part of filesystem and fix packages to not install it.
>>
>> Or just install /var/empty/.$pkgname or something silly like that
>
> And then defeat the purpose of having a completely empty directory?

Is it actually required to be completely empty? I thought it was just
assumed to be empty, but that wasn't a requisite

Old 11-03-2009, 04:42 PM
Roman Kyrylych

On Sun, Nov 1, 2009 at 20:14, Xavier <shiningxc@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 1, 2009 at 6:23 PM, Dan McGee <dpmcgee@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sun, Nov 1, 2009 at 5:11 AM, Roman Kyrylych <roman.kyrylych@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Shouldn't /var/empty be created by filesystem package,
>>> instead of by packages that require it? (like openssh and openntpd)
>>
>> It is. The problem is these packages "install" it in their tarball, so
>> when you remove one of them and pacman sees an empty directory left
>> behind, it thinks it is no longer necessary and removes it.

> filesystem does not seem to create /var/empty directory.

So, do we add /var/empty to the filesystem package?

--
Roman Kyrylych (*оман Кирилич)