Old 11-01-2009, 04:32 AM
Allan McRae

Default devtools-0.8.0

Hi,

A new devtools release has been pushed to [testing]. Everything works
on a brief test here, but I thought it a good idea to do some testing
before pushing to [extra].

Allan

Old 11-02-2009, 06:42 AM
Eric Bélanger

On Sun, Nov 1, 2009 at 12:32 AM, Allan McRae <allan@archlinux.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> A new devtools release has been pushed to [testing]. *Everything works on a
> brief test here, but I thought it a good idea to do some testing before
> pushing to [extra].
>
> Allan

I'm having a problem with makechrootpkg. In this commit:
http://projects.archlinux.org/devtools.git/commit/?id=71a6d2c89587da5299b5a6c00542f49a1325721b

The line:
source $uniondir/etc/makepkg.conf

was removed. This cause the package sources to be downloaded even if
they are in my local source cache. Was it removed by mistake? If it
is intended, then how does makechrootpkg's SRCDEST (and PKGDEST)
variables get assigned? Did the configuration changed?

Eric

Old 11-02-2009, 08:02 AM
Allan McRae

Eric Bélanger wrote:

A new devtools release has been pushed to [testing]. Everything works on a
brief test here, but I thought it a good idea to do some testing before
pushing to [extra].

Allan

I'm having a problem with makechrootpkg. In this commit:
http://projects.archlinux.org/devtools.git/commit/?id=71a6d2c89587da5299b5a6c00542f49a1325721b

The line:
source $uniondir/etc/makepkg.conf

was removed. This cause the package sources to be downloaded even if
they are in my local source cache. Was it removed by mistake? If it
is intended, then how does makechrootpkg's SRCDEST (and PKGDEST)
variables get assigned? Did the configuration changed?

That does look like a bad "fix".

From memory, the whole issue here is for people who use makechrootpkg
to build i686 and x86_64 packages on the one machine. Sourcing
makepkg.conf on the host machine is bad in that case as it might not be
for the correct architecture. So, the sourcing on makepkg.conf was
moved to after the build so that the chroots makepkg.conf is used at all
times (WARNING: set your PACKAGER variable there...). Now the host
makepkg.conf is only sourced get the SRCDEST and PKGDEST to move new
sources/packages at the end of the build. This obviously breaks copying
source files from your SRCDEST as that is not sourced beforehand.

I dislike this change (as I am too lazy to set MAKEFLAGS and PACKAGER in
all my chroots) and so have been working with a makechrootpkg with that
whole change reverted. I then have a "makechrootpkg64" script that
sources /etc/makepkg64.conf instead...

Reverting those changes a providing a flag for which makepkg config file
to use may be a fix for this whole issue.

Allan

Old 11-02-2009, 10:45 AM
Eric Bélanger

On Mon, Nov 2, 2009 at 4:02 AM, Allan McRae <allan@archlinux.org> wrote:
> Eric Bélanger wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, Nov 1, 2009 at 12:32 AM, Allan McRae <allan@archlinux.org> wrote:
>>

>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> A new devtools release has been pushed to [testing]. *Everything works on
>>> brief test here, but I thought it a good idea to do some testing before
>>> pushing to [extra].
>>>
>>> Allan
>>>

>> I'm having a problem with makechrootpkg. In this commit:
>>
>> http://projects.archlinux.org/devtools.git/commit/?id=71a6d2c89587da5299b5a6c00542f49a1325721b
>>
>> The line:
>> source $uniondir/etc/makepkg.conf
>>
>> was removed. This cause the package sources to be downloaded even if
>> they are in my local source cache. Was it removed by mistake? *If it
>> is intended, then how does makechrootpkg's SRCDEST (and PKGDEST)
>> variables get assigned? Did the configuration changed?
>>

> That does look like a bad "fix".
> From memory, the whole issue here is for people who use makechrootpkg to
> build i686 and x86_64 packages on the one machine. *Sourcing makepkg.conf on
> the host machine is bad in that case as it might not be for the correct
> architecture. *So, the sourcing on makepkg.conf was moved to after the build
> so that the chroots makepkg.conf is used at all times (WARNING: set your
> PACKAGER variable there...). *Now the host makepkg.conf is only sourced get
> the SRCDEST and PKGDEST to move new sources/packages at the end of the
> build. *This obviously breaks copying source files from your SRCDEST as that
> is not sourced beforehand.
>
> I dislike this change (as I am too lazy to set MAKEFLAGS and PACKAGER in all
> my chroots) and so have been working with a makechrootpkg with that whole
> change reverted. *I then have a "makechrootpkg64" script that sources
> /etc/makepkg64.conf instead...
> Reverting those changes a providing a flag for which makepkg config file to
> use may be a fix for this whole issue.
>
> Allan

Another way is to get the SRCDEST and PKGDEST without sourcing the makepkg.conf:

eval $(grep SRCDEST /etc/makepkg.conf)
eval $(grep PKGDEST /etc/makepkg.conf)

Old 11-02-2009, 01:08 PM
Daenyth Blank

On Mon, Nov 2, 2009 at 06:45, Eric Bélanger <snowmaniscool@gmail.com> wrote:
> Another way is to get the SRCDEST and PKGDEST without sourcing the makepkg.conf:
>
> *eval $(grep SRCDEST /etc/makepkg.conf)
> *eval $(grep PKGDEST /etc/makepkg.conf)

This would have to be
eval $(grep '^SRCDEST=' /etc/makepkg.conf
so that it wouldn't get any commented lines.

Old 11-02-2009, 02:12 PM
Dan McGee

On Mon, Nov 2, 2009 at 8:08 AM, Daenyth Blank <daenyth+arch@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 2, 2009 at 06:45, Eric Bélanger <snowmaniscool@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Another way is to get the SRCDEST and PKGDEST without sourcing the makepkg.conf:
>>
>> *eval $(grep SRCDEST /etc/makepkg.conf)
>> *eval $(grep PKGDEST /etc/makepkg.conf)
>>

> This would have to be
> eval $(grep '^SRCDEST=' /etc/makepkg.conf
> so that it wouldn't get any commented lines.

I'm pretty sure eval-ing a commented line won't do a whole lot:
$ eval '#SRCDEST=foobar'
$ echo $SRCDEST

$ eval 'SRCDEST=foobar'
$ echo $SRCDEST
foobar

Old 11-02-2009, 02:17 PM
Daenyth Blank

On Mon, Nov 2, 2009 at 10:12, Dan McGee <dpmcgee@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm pretty sure eval-ing a commented line won't do a whole lot:
> $ eval '#SRCDEST=foobar'
> $ echo $SRCDEST
>
> $ eval 'SRCDEST=foobar'
> $ echo $SRCDEST
> foobar

You know... That is a pretty good point. >.>

I blame it being too early in the morning :P

Old 11-02-2009, 02:31 PM
Dan McGee

On Mon, Nov 2, 2009 at 9:17 AM, Daenyth Blank <daenyth+arch@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 2, 2009 at 10:12, Dan McGee <dpmcgee@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'm pretty sure eval-ing a commented line won't do a whole lot:
>> $ eval '#SRCDEST=foobar'
>> $ echo $SRCDEST
>>
>> $ eval 'SRCDEST=foobar'
>> $ echo $SRCDEST
>> foobar
>>

> You know... That is a pretty good point. >.>
>
> I blame it being too early in the morning :P

Haha no worries, I had just already had my first cup of coffee.

-Dan

Old 11-02-2009, 09:55 PM
Eric Bélanger

On Mon, Nov 2, 2009 at 10:31 AM, Dan McGee <dpmcgee@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 2, 2009 at 9:17 AM, Daenyth Blank <daenyth+arch@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, Nov 2, 2009 at 10:12, Dan McGee <dpmcgee@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I'm pretty sure eval-ing a commented line won't do a whole lot:
>>> $ eval '#SRCDEST=foobar'
>>> $ echo $SRCDEST
>>>
>>> $ eval 'SRCDEST=foobar'
>>> $ echo $SRCDEST
>>> foobar
>>>

>> You know... That is a pretty good point. >.>
>>
>> I blame it being too early in the morning :P
>
> Haha no worries, I had just already had my first cup of coffee.
>
> -Dan

Actually, Daenyth's method is better than mine. If you have something
like this in your makepkg.conf:

#SRCDEST=/mnt/hd-ext
SRCDEST=/var/cache/pacman/src

my eval will fail but Daenyth's eval with regex will work.

Eric

Old 11-05-2009, 01:04 AM
Eric Bélanger

On Mon, Nov 2, 2009 at 5:55 PM, Eric Bélanger <snowmaniscool@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 2, 2009 at 10:31 AM, Dan McGee <dpmcgee@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> You know... That is a pretty good point. >.>
>>>
>>> I blame it being too early in the morning :P
>>
>> Haha no worries, I had just already had my first cup of coffee.
>>
>> -Dan
>>

> Actually, Daenyth's method is better than mine. If you have something
> like this in your makepkg.conf:
>
> #SRCDEST=/mnt/hd-ext
> SRCDEST=/var/cache/pacman/src
>
> my eval will fail but Daenyth's eval with regex will work.
>
> Eric

I just sent a patch (seperate thread in this ML).

Eric