-   -   We need to rebuild ffmpeg, mplayer and x264 (http://www.linux-archive.org/archlinux-development/272261-we-need-rebuild-ffmpeg-mplayer-x264.html)

Hugo Doria 10-31-2009 10:45 AM

We need to rebuild ffmpeg, mplayer and x264

Hi guys,

There was a major change in x264's API and FFmpeg and Mplayer were
adapted the new changes. We need to updated them and get it working
with the new changes.

I already rebuilt x264 and mplayer to the latest versions, but we need
to do the same with ffmpeg and gstreamer0.10-ugly. Is this a problem?

-- Hugo

Eric Bélanger 10-31-2009 11:07 AM

On Sat, Oct 31, 2009 at 7:45 AM, Hugo Doria <hugodoria@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> There was a major change in x264's API and FFmpeg and Mplayer were
> adapted the new changes. We need to updated them and get it working
> with the new changes.
>
> I already rebuilt x264 and mplayer to the latest versions, but we need
> to do the same with ffmpeg and gstreamer0.10-ugly. Is this a problem?
>
> -- Hugo

The latest x264 and ffmpeg have both soname bump. You'll need to
rebuild probably all packages that (make/opt)depends on them. For x264
, there's about a dozen. For ffmpeg, it depends which ones of ffmpeg
library got the soname bump. Some packages only have the ffmpeg
depends but also depends on x264. You are definitely missing quite a
few. Setup a todo list and don't rush.

Pierre Schmitz 10-31-2009 11:21 AM

Am Samstag 31 Oktober 2009 13:07:20 schrieb Eric Bélanger:
> The latest x264 and ffmpeg have both soname bump. You'll need to
> rebuild probably all packages that (make/opt)depends on them. For x264
> , there's about a dozen. For ffmpeg, it depends which ones of ffmpeg
> library got the soname bump. Some packages only have the ffmpeg
> depends but also depends on x264. You are definitely missing quite a
> few. Setup a todo list and don't rush.

If you send me a list of the old libs that have a so name bump I can generate
a list of possible rebuild candidates.

Hugo Doria 10-31-2009 11:27 AM

We need to rebuild ffmpeg, mplayer and x264

I added a new ToDo on devsite with the rebuild list for x64 and
ffmpeg. I picked all packages according to our website.

Probably there are some other packages that need to be added. I will check this.

If someone find a new package that needs to be rebuilt, please, don't
forget to add to the list.

-- Hugo

Eric Bélanger 10-31-2009 12:21 PM

On Sat, Oct 31, 2009 at 8:27 AM, Hugo Doria <hugodoria@gmail.com> wrote:
> I added a new ToDo on devsite with the rebuild list for x64 and
> ffmpeg. I picked all packages according to our website.
>
> Probably there are some other packages that need to be added. I will check this.
>
> If someone find a new package that needs to be rebuilt, please, don't
> forget to add to the list.
>
> -- Hugo

What ffmpeg library has the soname bump? Depending on the library,
some package that depends on ffmpeg might not need to be rebuild. As
he mentionned earlier, Pierre has a script to check for that (I think
it checks the packages in the repos directly).

BTW, you shouldn't trust the website too much for this rebuild as
several packages have plugins that depends on ffmpeg/x264. As they
are make/optdepends, they don't appear on the website. Usually I
prefer running find in my abs tree.

Eric

Aaron Griffin 10-31-2009 12:35 PM

On Sat, Oct 31, 2009 at 6:45 AM, Hugo Doria <hugodoria@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> There was a major change in x264's API and FFmpeg and Mplayer were
> adapted the new changes. We need to updated them and get it working
> with the new changes.
>
> I already rebuilt x264 and mplayer to the latest versions, but we need
> to do the same with ffmpeg and gstreamer0.10-ugly. Is this a problem?

I got an email about ffmpeg a while back. Would someone mind adding
tools/cws2fws to the build as well? It's easy enough to copy the way
one of the tools/ is already built

Allan McRae 11-05-2009 10:31 AM

Eric Bélanger wrote:

I added a new ToDo on devsite with the rebuild list for x64 and
ffmpeg. I picked all packages according to our website.

Probably there are some other packages that need to be added. I will check this.

If someone find a new package that needs to be rebuilt, please, don't
forget to add to the list.

-- Hugo

What ffmpeg library has the soname bump? Depending on the library,
some package that depends on ffmpeg might not need to be rebuild. As
he mentionned earlier, Pierre has a script to check for that (I think
it checks the packages in the repos directly).

Ping Hugo. Do you have a list of the libraries with a soname bump for
these two packages? We can then update the rebuild list to prevent
unnecessary rebuilds and add needed ones.

Allan