Old 10-28-2009, 03:14 AM
Dan McGee

Default The docs/!docs thing again

What are we doing this month with docs? I ask because I was rather
shocked to see this:

dmcgee@kilkenny /usr/share/doc/gtkmm-2.4
$ pacman -Si gtkmm | grep Size
Download Size : 14396.06 K
Installed Size : 61660.00 K

dmcgee@kilkenny /usr/share/doc/gtkmm-2.4
$ du -sh .
50M .

That means ~80% of this package is stuff almost no-one is ever going
to look at. That seems a bit overkill to me to include in our
packages.

-Dan

Old 10-28-2009, 03:49 AM
Allan McRae

Dan McGee wrote:

What are we doing this month with docs? I ask because I was rather
shocked to see this:

dmcgee@kilkenny /usr/share/doc/gtkmm-2.4
$ pacman -Si gtkmm | grep Size
Download Size : 14396.06 K
Installed Size : 61660.00 K

dmcgee@kilkenny /usr/share/doc/gtkmm-2.4
$ du -sh .
50M .

That means ~80% of this package is stuff almost no-one is ever going
to look at. That seems a bit overkill to me to include in our
packages.

I thought we were splitting them out if they were massive like this.
e.g. ruby/ruby-docs. It would seem the best solution.

Allan

Old 10-28-2009, 09:32 AM
Eric Bélanger

On Wed, Oct 28, 2009 at 12:49 AM, Allan McRae <allan@archlinux.org> wrote:
> Dan McGee wrote:
>>
>> What are we doing this month with docs? I ask because I was rather
>> shocked to see this:
>>
>> dmcgee@kilkenny /usr/share/doc/gtkmm-2.4
>> $ pacman -Si gtkmm | grep Size
>> Download Size *: 14396.06 K
>> Installed Size : 61660.00 K
>>
>> dmcgee@kilkenny /usr/share/doc/gtkmm-2.4
>> $ du -sh .
>> 50M * * .
>>
>> That means ~80% of this package is stuff almost no-one is ever going
>> to look at. That seems a bit overkill to me to include in our
>> packages.
>>

> I thought we were splitting them out if they were massive like this. *e.g.
> ruby/ruby-docs. * It would seem the best solution.
>
> Allan

Yes, that's what we're supposed to do; it was probably an oversight.
Splitting big docs like this will be easy once the new makepkg with
multi-arch support for split package will be out (assuming the
dbscripts can handle it).

Old 10-28-2009, 05:57 PM
Aaron Griffin

On Tue, Oct 27, 2009 at 11:14 PM, Dan McGee <dpmcgee@gmail.com> wrote:
> What are we doing this month with docs? I ask because I was rather
> shocked to see this:
>
> dmcgee@kilkenny /usr/share/doc/gtkmm-2.4
> $ pacman -Si gtkmm | grep Size
> Download Size *: 14396.06 K
> Installed Size : 61660.00 K
>
> dmcgee@kilkenny /usr/share/doc/gtkmm-2.4
> $ du -sh .
> 50M * * .
>
> That means ~80% of this package is stuff almost no-one is ever going
> to look at. That seems a bit overkill to me to include in our
> packages.

Perhaps a namcap warning for this case would be helpful. Something like:

WARNING: At least 50% of this package is documentation. Consider
splitting the docs to a separate package.