Old 01-02-2008, 05:20 PM
"Varun Acharya"

Default moving stuff into extra

Hi,
I'd like to bring the following packages into extra in the near future and maintain them.. Please let me know if you have any objections

- smplayer / smplayer-themes - qt4 based frontend for mplayer <will move to testing first, of course)

- transmission - nice simple bittorrent client
- miro - very actively developed web tv viewer
- gspcav1 - webcam kernel module for many webcams out there.
- dvdbackup - only tool which seems to be able to copy exact uncompressed dvd structure without hassles

- showimg - very nice qt based image viewer, great for fullscreen slideshows with mouse wheel control

FYI, all these packages are in community now, and have received quite a good number of votes.

A question about 'pulseaudio' ... the trend seems to be some major distributions (Fedora and Ubuntu) are adopting pulseaudio as default sound server, any idea why? Its in community right now too. Is anyone using this as their sound server right now? Can you share your experiences with it ? If it is clearly superior to the alternatives, then it should be in extra too. If its still in its infancy, then let it remain in community. I'll test it too and get back

More info about pulseaudio:

http://blog.paulbetts.org/index.php/2007/04/15/pulseaudio-in-ubuntu-feisty-play-sound-over-the-network/

Thanks,
Varun

Old 01-02-2008, 06:20 PM
"Aaron Griffin"

On Jan 2, 2008 12:20 PM, Varun Acharya <ganja.guru.x64@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I'd like to bring the following packages into extra in the near future and
> maintain them.. Please let me know if you have any objections
>
> - smplayer / smplayer-themes - qt4 based frontend for mplayer <will move to
> testing first, of course)
> - transmission - nice simple bittorrent client
> - miro - very actively developed web tv viewer
> - gspcav1 - webcam kernel module for many webcams out there.
> - dvdbackup - only tool which seems to be able to copy exact uncompressed
> dvd structure without hassles
> - showimg - very nice qt based image viewer, great for fullscreen slideshows
> with mouse wheel control

I don't have any problems with transmission or miro. The kernel module
is fine too as that's hardware support...

The other ones I have no opinion on, so they're probably fine /me shrugs

Old 01-02-2008, 10:37 PM
Damir Perisa

Wednesday 02 January 2008, Varun Acharya wrote:
| Hi,
| I'd like to bring the following packages into extra in the near
| future and maintain them.. Please let me know if you have any
| objections
|
| - smplayer / smplayer-themes - qt4 based frontend for mplayer
| <will move to testing first, of course)
| - transmission - nice simple bittorrent client
| - miro - very actively developed web tv viewer
| - gspcav1 - webcam kernel module for many webcams out there.
| - dvdbackup - only tool which seems to be able to copy exact
| uncompressed dvd structure without hassles
| - showimg - very nice qt based image viewer, great for fullscreen
| slideshows with mouse wheel control

all your listened pkgs make a good picture. besides miro that i don't
know, i support your decision. go for it.

| FYI, all these packages are in community now, and have received
| quite a good number of votes.
|
| A question about 'pulseaudio' ... the trend seems to be some major
| distributions (Fedora and Ubuntu) are adopting pulseaudio as
| default sound server, any idea why? Its in community right now
| too. Is anyone using this as their sound server right now? Can you
| share your experiences with it ? If it is clearly superior to the
| alternatives, then it should be in extra too. If its still in its
| infancy, then let it remain in community. I'll test it too and get
| back

isn't pulse a replacement for esd? i think it should be in extra, yes.
there is a request for mpd to be compiled with pulseaudio enabled:
http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/8472
if you move it, let me know so that i can make mpd support it.

- D

--
.`..`..`..`..`..`. .

><((((>

<)))><
<)))><

Old 01-03-2008, 06:26 AM
"Varun Acharya"

isn't pulse a replacement for esd? i think it should be in extra, yes.
there is a request for mpd to be compiled with pulseaudio enabled:

http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/8472
if you move it, let me know so that i can make mpd support it.

Jan expressed an interest in pulseaudio in the bug tracker,so lets leave it to him. I don't know much about pulseaudio anyways.

Varun

Old 01-03-2008, 07:00 AM
"Varun Acharya"

Oh one more to add to the list, I'd like to move handbrake from AUR to extra. I've tried other software (acidrip,dvdrip,k9copy and many more), but this is the only one which is stable and fast. Sorry for the omission.

Varun

Old 01-03-2008, 07:17 AM
Damir Perisa

Thursday 03 January 2008, Varun Acharya wrote:
| Oh one more to add to the list, I'd like to move handbrake from
| AUR to extra. I've tried other software (acidrip,dvdrip,k9copy and
| many more), but this is the only one which is stable and fast.
| Sorry for the omission.

handbrake is in unsupported now, right? it has 3 pkgs. a colleague
needed something like this but we were not able to make it built
nicely and work without segfaulting.

Location
Category
Name
Votes
Voted
Description
Maintainer
1 unsupported multimedia handbrake 0.9.1-2 31 HandBrake is
a GPL'd multiplatform, multithreaded DVD to MPEG-4 ripper/converter
sebcactus
1 unsupported multimedia handbrake-bin 0.9.1-2 11 HandBrake
is a GPL'd multiplatform, multithreaded DVD to MPEG-4
ripper/converter sebcactus
1 unsupported multimedia handbrakegtk 1.0.1-1 3 A GTK
frontend for the Handbrake CLI (AKA RippedWire) Zer0

do not import it to [extra] untill it is one pkg that works, but i'm
sure you will not anyway, since you use it yourself?

conditional +1 for this one: make it work for first. (i didn't try it
myself, dont have a dvd drive, maybe it _does_ work, but i heard 2
stories about how it fails building for x86_64 and segfaulting)

good luck,

Damir

--
.`..`..`..`..`..`. .

><((((>

<)))><
<)))><

Old 01-03-2008, 07:40 AM
"Varun Acharya"

do not import it to [extra] untill it is one pkg that works, but i'm

sure you will not anyway, since you use it yourself?

conditional +1 for this one: make it work for first. (i didn't try it
myself, dont have a dvd drive, maybe it _does_ work, but i heard 2
stories about how it fails building for x86_64 and segfaulting)

'handbrake-bin' is the binary straight from the website, I wont be using this.
'handbrakegtk' is the frontend for HandBrakeCLI, and its very unstable right now, so this won't go into extra too

'handbrake' itself is the package I'm looking at. Yes, I use it regularly and I've got it to build for x86_64 too, with minor changes to the PKGBUILD. When handbrakegtk becomes more stable I might move that too, but that will take a while I think.

Varun

Old 01-03-2008, 08:19 AM
Damir Perisa

Thursday 03 January 2008, Varun Acharya wrote:
| > do not import it to [extra] untill it is one pkg that works, but
| > i'm sure you will not anyway, since you use it yourself?
| >
| > conditional +1 for this one: make it work for first. (i didn't
| > try it myself, dont have a dvd drive, maybe it _does_ work, but
| > i heard 2 stories about how it fails building for x86_64 and
| > segfaulting)
|
| 'handbrake-bin' is the binary straight from the website, I wont be
| using this.
| 'handbrakegtk' is the frontend for HandBrakeCLI, and its very
| unstable right now, so this won't go into extra too
|
| 'handbrake' itself is the package I'm looking at. Yes, I use it
| regularly and I've got it to build for x86_64 too, with minor
| changes to the PKGBUILD. When handbrakegtk becomes more stable I
| might move that too, but that will take a while I think.

ok, when handbrake works on both arches, i support your decision. good
luck! (i can borrow a dvd-drive or make a friend test it on 64bit if
you need it)

- D

--

><((((>