FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > ArchLinux > ArchLinux Development

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 03-25-2009, 09:47 AM
Tobias Powalowski
 
Default Kernel 2.6.29 series moved to testing

Hi
Changes:
http://kernelnewbies.org/LinuxChanges

added this request:
http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/13486

broken binary modules:
- aufs
- lirc
Please maintainers of those packages fix those.

It seems the 2.6.29 kernel has a network issue, which will be fixed in .29.1
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel/811417
At the moment keep an downgrade kernel in your cache if you will be affected
by this bug.

greetings
tpowa
--
Tobias Powalowski
Archlinux Developer & Package Maintainer (tpowa)
http://www.archlinux.org
tpowa@archlinux.org
 
Old 03-25-2009, 09:53 AM
Thomas Bächler
 
Default Kernel 2.6.29 series moved to testing

Tobias Powalowski schrieb:

added this request:
http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/13486


I thought we said that we only add smack if we can compile it =m (which
we couldn't).



broken binary modules:
- aufs
- lirc
Please maintainers of those packages fix those.


Are we still adding these weird aufs patches? IMO, the aufs/unionfs
situation should be solved more cleanly. They both require us to patch
the kernel and both are not too clean. There is an ongoing effort to
push aufs2 to mainline, so maybe it is better to use aufs2 instead of aufs?
 
Old 03-25-2009, 10:24 AM
Daniel Isenmann
 
Default Kernel 2.6.29 series moved to testing

On Wed, 25 Mar 2009 11:47:08 +0100
Tobias Powalowski <t.powa@gmx.de> wrote:

> Hi
> Changes:
> http://kernelnewbies.org/LinuxChanges
>
> added this request:
> http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/13486
>
> broken binary modules:
> - aufs
> - lirc
> Please maintainers of those packages fix those.
>
> It seems the 2.6.29 kernel has a network issue, which will be fixed
> in .29.1 http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel/811417
> At the moment keep an downgrade kernel in your cache if you will be
> affected by this bug.

The new kernel runs perfectly on my system. I'm not affected by the
network issue mentioned above. It looks like that NICs with a forcedeth
chipset are affected. I have a Broadcom Corporation NetLink BCM5789
Gigabit Ethernet card and it works like before.

Cheers,
Daniel
 
Old 03-25-2009, 10:31 AM
Allan McRae
 
Default Kernel 2.6.29 series moved to testing

Daniel Isenmann wrote:

On Wed, 25 Mar 2009 11:47:08 +0100
Tobias Powalowski <t.powa@gmx.de> wrote:



Hi
Changes:
http://kernelnewbies.org/LinuxChanges

added this request:
http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/13486

broken binary modules:
- aufs
- lirc
Please maintainers of those packages fix those.

It seems the 2.6.29 kernel has a network issue, which will be fixed
in .29.1 http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel/811417
At the moment keep an downgrade kernel in your cache if you will be
affected by this bug.



The new kernel runs perfectly on my system. I'm not affected by the
network issue mentioned above. It looks like that NICs with a forcedeth
chipset are affected. I have a Broadcom Corporation NetLink BCM5789
Gigabit Ethernet card and it works like before.


Cheers,
Daniel



Apart from the FPS in games going from ~50 to ~10, I have no issues
(with an Intel 945GM). Going to try KMS but I haven't had much success
with that during the RC stage...


Allan
 
Old 03-25-2009, 10:47 AM
Tobias Powalowski
 
Default Kernel 2.6.29 series moved to testing

Am Mittwoch 25 März 2009 schrieb Allan McRae:
> Daniel Isenmann wrote:
> > On Wed, 25 Mar 2009 11:47:08 +0100
> >
> > Tobias Powalowski <t.powa@gmx.de> wrote:
> >> Hi
> >> Changes:
> >> http://kernelnewbies.org/LinuxChanges
> >>
> >> added this request:
> >> http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/13486
> >>
> >> broken binary modules:
> >> - aufs
> >> - lirc
> >> Please maintainers of those packages fix those.
> >>
> >> It seems the 2.6.29 kernel has a network issue, which will be fixed
> >> in .29.1 http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel/811417
> >> At the moment keep an downgrade kernel in your cache if you will be
> >> affected by this bug.
> >
> > The new kernel runs perfectly on my system. I'm not affected by the
> > network issue mentioned above. It looks like that NICs with a forcedeth
> > chipset are affected. I have a Broadcom Corporation NetLink BCM5789
> > Gigabit Ethernet card and it works like before.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Daniel
>
> Apart from the FPS in games going from ~50 to ~10, I have no issues
> (with an Intel 945GM). Going to try KMS but I haven't had much success
> with that during the RC stage...
>
> Allan
By the way do we still need aufs?


--
Tobias Powalowski
Archlinux Developer & Package Maintainer (tpowa)
http://www.archlinux.org
tpowa@archlinux.org
 
Old 03-25-2009, 10:53 AM
Jan de Groot
 
Default Kernel 2.6.29 series moved to testing

On Wed, 2009-03-25 at 21:31 +1000, Allan McRae wrote:
> Apart from the FPS in games going from ~50 to ~10, I have no issues
> (with an Intel 945GM). Going to try KMS but I haven't had much
> success
> with that during the RC stage...

Enabling KMS makes performance a bit better, though according to Thomas,
it comes with bad colors. To enable KMS, you'll need this in
modprobe.conf:
option i915 modeset=1

Remember that KMS requires an up2date intel driver with UXA enabled to
work. KMS enabled will not work with non-KMS drivers.

I'll update xf86-video-intel, mesa and everything that's related to this
to the latest branch snapshots. This should improve some things, though
I have no hard results for it yet.
 
Old 03-25-2009, 11:15 AM
Thomas Bächler
 
Default Kernel 2.6.29 series moved to testing

Allan McRae schrieb:
Apart from the FPS in games going from ~50 to ~10, I have no issues
(with an Intel 945GM). Going to try KMS but I haven't had much success
with that during the RC stage...


I have the same chipset, and with 2.6.29-rc8, compositing in KDE was
unusable (with 2.6.28, intel 2.6.3 and UXA enabled it was fine).


About the colors: I found a message on a mailing list about it and a
patch that was supposed to fix it, but it didn't help at all. Also, KMS
would freeze the display (or the whole kernel, who knows) when exiting X
sometimes and it would cause kernel oopses. KMS is only cool on the
surface (the native resolution framebuffer, non-flickering X start and
instant console switch are nice), but the whole implementation is immature.
 
Old 03-25-2009, 12:16 PM
Thomas Bächler
 
Default Kernel 2.6.29 series moved to testing

Tobias Powalowski schrieb:

broken binary modules:
- aufs
- lirc
Please maintainers of those packages fix those.


http://aufs.sourceforge.net/README.aufs2
Again about aufs: I have no idea if this is supposed to be built
in-kernel, but the patches to the VFS seem to be minimal and I guess we
can build it as a module. If we are going to use aufs, we should use
aufs2. It is even supposed to be better than unionfs!
 
Old 03-25-2009, 02:26 PM
Aaron Griffin
 
Default Kernel 2.6.29 series moved to testing

On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 6:47 AM, Tobias Powalowski <t.powa@gmx.de> wrote:
> Am Mittwoch 25 März 2009 schrieb Allan McRae:
>> Daniel Isenmann wrote:
>> > On Wed, 25 Mar 2009 11:47:08 +0100
>> >
>> > Tobias Powalowski <t.powa@gmx.de> wrote:
>> >> Hi
>> >> Changes:
>> >> http://kernelnewbies.org/LinuxChanges
>> >>
>> >> added this request:
>> >> http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/13486
>> >>
>> >> broken binary modules:
>> >> - aufs
>> >> - lirc
>> >> Please maintainers of those packages fix those.
>> >>
>> >> It seems the 2.6.29 kernel has a network issue, which will be fixed
>> >> in .29.1 http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel/811417
>> >> At the moment keep an downgrade kernel in your cache if you will be
>> >> affected by this bug.
>> >
>> > The new kernel runs perfectly on my system. I'm not affected by the
>> > network issue mentioned above. It looks like that NICs with a forcedeth
>> > chipset are affected. I have a Broadcom Corporation NetLink BCM5789
>> > Gigabit Ethernet card and it works like before.
>> >
>> > Cheers,
>> > *Daniel
>>
>> Apart from the FPS in games going from ~50 to ~10, I have no issues
>> (with an Intel 945GM). *Going to try KMS but I haven't had much success
>> with that during the RC stage...
>>
>> Allan
> By the way do we still need aufs?

Yeah, we do - lots of external projects use it (larch, Chakra, etc),
and I do want to move the ISOs from unionfs to aufs eventually
 
Old 03-25-2009, 02:27 PM
Pierre Schmitz
 
Default Kernel 2.6.29 series moved to testing

Am Mittwoch, 25. März 2009 11:47:08 schrieb Tobias Powalowski:
> It seems the 2.6.29 kernel has a network issue, which will be fixed in
> .29.1 http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel/811417
> At the moment keep an downgrade kernel in your cache if you will be
> affected by this bug.

I want to underline this. I have serious problems on two different computers.

* the intel xorg driver just produces garbage
(tested UXA and EXA; vesa works fine)
* forcedeth stops working after a few minutes
* ipw2200 does not work (it does not find any networks)
* on every boot it complains about broken superblock features and wants to run
a fs check (ext4; different hds; totally random) -> make backups ;-)
* s626 has to be blacklisted; otherwise udev will take a long time and a
modporbe process keeps hanging and cannot be killed
* there might be a problem with the nvidia graphics driver

So you better shouldn't use it unless you don't need network access or you
have backups of all your data. :-)

--

Pierre Schmitz


Clemens-August-Straße 76
53115 Bonn

Telefon 0228 9716608
Mobil 0160 95269831
Jabber pierre@jabber.archlinux.de
WWW http://www.archlinux.de
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 01:16 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org