FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor


 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 03-18-2009, 04:39 PM
Daenyth Blank
 
Default dropping lilo?

On Wed, Mar 18, 2009 at 13:25, Andreas Radke <a.radke@arcor.de> wrote:
> I'm still listed being the maintainer of our lilo package. The former
> upstream website is down for months, only some mirrors are available.
> Though the package is still working well (haven't heard any complains)
> we have 2 good working grub(-legacy) and also grub(2) alternatives and
> we recommend these now all time.
>
> Do you guys think it's time to drop lilo from the repos? I'd like to do
> so. Or does somebody want to take it over from me?
>
> -Andy
>

According to pkgstats, it has a fairly wide install base, so I think
if it gets moved anywhere, community would be best...
That being said, do we want to encourage people to use it? It's pretty
old and featureless, and as you say, apparantly not really maintained
any longer
 
Old 03-18-2009, 04:46 PM
Aaron Griffin
 
Default dropping lilo?

On Wed, Mar 18, 2009 at 12:39 PM, Daenyth Blank <daenyth+arch@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 18, 2009 at 13:25, Andreas Radke <a.radke@arcor.de> wrote:
>> I'm still listed being the maintainer of our lilo package. The former
>> upstream website is down for months, only some mirrors are available.
>> Though the package is still working well (haven't heard any complains)
>> we have 2 good working grub(-legacy) and also grub(2) alternatives and
>> we recommend these now all time.
>>
>> Do you guys think it's time to drop lilo from the repos? I'd like to do
>> so. Or does somebody want to take it over from me?
>>
>> -Andy
>>
>
> According to pkgstats, it has a fairly wide install base, so I think
> if it gets moved anywhere, community would be best...
> That being said, do we want to encourage people to use it? It's pretty
> old and featureless, and as you say, apparantly not really maintained
> any longer

The stats are probably related to the fact that it's in the base group.

Do we lose anything by dropping lilo? Is there anything that only lilo can do?
 
Old 03-18-2009, 04:49 PM
Dale Blount
 
Default dropping lilo?

> The stats are probably related to the fact that it's in the base group.

Yes, and you can have both installed. Can we check who has both grub
and lilo or is that not possible with the stats we collect?

> Do we lose anything by dropping lilo? Is there anything that only lilo can do?

grub-legacy can't boot GPT, but I think that's added in grub2.

Dale
 
Old 03-18-2009, 04:51 PM
Daenyth Blank
 
Default dropping lilo?

On Wed, Mar 18, 2009 at 13:46, Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin@gmail.com> wrote:
> The stats are probably related to the fact that it's in the base group.

Good point. I didn't even know I had it installed on my system. Gone now...
 
Old 03-18-2009, 04:55 PM
Daenyth Blank
 
Default dropping lilo?

On Wed, Mar 18, 2009 at 13:46, Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin@gmail.com> wrote:
> The stats are probably related to the fact that it's in the base group.

Good point. I didn't even know I had it installed on my system. Gone now...
 
Old 03-18-2009, 05:59 PM
Eric Bélanger
 
Default dropping lilo?

On Wed, Mar 18, 2009 at 1:25 PM, Andreas Radke <a.radke@arcor.de> wrote:
> I'm still listed being the maintainer of our lilo package. The former
> upstream website is down for months, only some mirrors are available.
> Though the package is still working well (haven't heard any complains)
> we have 2 good working grub(-legacy) and also grub(2) alternatives and
> we recommend these now all time.
>
> Do you guys think it's time to drop lilo from the repos? I'd like to do
> so. Or does somebody want to take it over from me?
>
> -Andy
>

I use lilo for one of my system so I could take it over. I think we
should keep it as long that it keeps working well.
 
Old 03-19-2009, 09:36 AM
Andreas Radke
 
Default dropping lilo?

Ok, Eric go on and adopt it from my package list.
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 12:31 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org