Old 03-11-2009, 08:08 PM
Hugo Doria

Default libcap rebuilds

Hi guys,

It's time to update libcap to 2.16. Currently we are using a very old
release. See FS#11917 [1] for details.

This update will require the following rebuilds, according to the web
interface::

* avahi
* cdrkit
* dovecot
* muse
* pinentry
* pure-ftpd
* samba
* smbclient
* vsftpd
* wireshark

I plan to rebuild everything and upload to [testing]. Any suggestions
or objections?

[1] http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/11917

-- Hugo

Old 03-11-2009, 08:16 PM
Allan McRae

Hugo Doria wrote:

Hi guys,

It's time to update libcap to 2.16. Currently we are using a very old
release. See FS#11917 [1] for details.

This update will require the following rebuilds, according to the web
interface::

* avahi
* cdrkit
* dovecot
* muse
* pinentry
* pure-ftpd
* samba
* smbclient
* vsftpd
* wireshark

I plan to rebuild everything and upload to [testing]. Any suggestions
or objections?

[1] http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/11917

From the bug report, muse is not needed (libcap should not be a dep)
and dnsmasq, proftpd and squid are softdeps so should have libcap added
to makedeps and rebuilt.

Allan

Old 03-12-2009, 10:24 AM
Hugo Doria

Most of the rebuilds are ready for i686:

Packages that have libcap>=2.16 on makedepends:

dnsmasq-2.45-2
proftpd-1.3.1-2 (i updated to 1.3.2-1)
squid-2.7.STABLE6-2

Packages that have depends on libcap>=2.16

avahi-0.6.24-2
cdrkit-1.1.9-2
dovecot-1.1.11-2
muse-0.9-2 (i removed libcap from the depends array, since it does not
depends on it)
pinentry-0.7.5-4
pure-ftpd-1.0.21-3
samba-3.3.1-2
smbclient-3.3.1-2
vsftpd-2.1.0-2
wireshark-1.0.6-2

What is missing:

* Rebuild osec-1.2.2cvs20081201-1 and pulseaudio-0.9.14-1 from
community. I can do this today.
* Rebuild syslog-ng (add libcap in makedepends). I do not know if i
have permission to rebuild anything from [core]. Aaron?
* Build everything for x86_64. I need help here.

-- Hugo

Old 03-12-2009, 11:07 AM
Thomas Bächler

Hugo Doria schrieb:

* Rebuild syslog-ng (add libcap in makedepends). I do not know if i
have permission to rebuild anything from [core]. Aaron?

You can rebuild them and change the subversion. You should also be able
to put them in testing - but you seem to have no write permission to the
core repository.
Just put them in testing with the rest and someone else can move them to
core when the time comes.

Old 03-12-2009, 11:43 AM
Hugo Doria

On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 9:07 AM, Thomas Bächler <thomas@archlinux.org> wrote:
> Just put them in testing with the rest and someone else can move them to
> core when the time comes.

Done!

-- Hugo

Old 03-12-2009, 05:10 PM
Gerardo Exequiel Pozzi

Hugo Doria wrote:
> Packages that have libcap>=2.16 on makedepends:
>
> dnsmasq-2.45-2
> proftpd-1.3.1-2 (i updated to 1.3.2-1)
> squid-2.7.STABLE6-2

Hola Hugo

Here are one change, proftpd with libcap-2.16 uses libcap as depend,
(this don't happends with old libcap)

See the diference:
# readelf -a /usr/sbin/proftpd | grep cap
29: 00000000 67 FUNC GLOBAL DEFAULT UND capset@GLIBC_2.1 (3)
151: 00000000 67 FUNC GLOBAL DEFAULT UND capget@GLIBC_2.1 (3)

# readelf -a /usr/sbin/proftpd | grep cap
0x00000001 (NEEDED) Shared library: [libcap.so.2]
46: 00000000 0 FUNC GLOBAL DEFAULT UND cap_set_proc
99: 00000000 0 FUNC GLOBAL DEFAULT UND cap_free
142: 00000000 0 FUNC GLOBAL DEFAULT UND cap_init
178: 00000000 0 FUNC GLOBAL DEFAULT UND cap_set_flag
183: 00000000 0 FUNC GLOBAL DEFAULT UND cap_to_text
184: 00000000 0 FUNC GLOBAL DEFAULT UND cap_get_proc

It uses more advanced functions

syslog-ng, dnsmasq and squid are OK

--
Gerardo Exequiel Pozzi ( djgera )
http://www.djgera.com.ar

Old 03-12-2009, 08:01 PM
Eric Bélanger

On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 8:07 AM, Thomas Bächler <thomas@archlinux.org> wrote:
> Hugo Doria schrieb:
>>
>> * Rebuild syslog-ng (add libcap in makedepends). I do not know if i
>> have permission to rebuild anything from [core]. Aaron?
>
> You can rebuild them and change the subversion. You should also be able to
> put them in testing - but you seem to have no write permission to the core
> repository.
> Just put them in testing with the rest and someone else can move them to
> core when the time comes.

I guess that means that we'll have to move libcap in [core].

Old 03-12-2009, 09:00 PM
Allan McRae

Eric Bélanger wrote:

* Rebuild syslog-ng (add libcap in makedepends). I do not know if i
have permission to rebuild anything from [core]. Aaron?

You can rebuild them and change the subversion. You should also be able to
put them in testing - but you seem to have no write permission to the core
repository.
Just put them in testing with the rest and someone else can move them to
core when the time comes.

I guess that means that we'll have to move libcap in [core].

We have been leaving makedeps in [extra]... Not sure if it is a formal
policy decision.

Allan

Old 03-12-2009, 09:22 PM
Eric Bélanger

On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 6:00 PM, Allan McRae <allan@archlinux.org> wrote:
> Eric Bélanger wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 8:07 AM, Thomas Bächler <thomas@archlinux.org>
>> wrote:

>>> You can rebuild them and change the subversion. You should also be able
>>> put them in testing - but you seem to have no write permission to the
>>> core
>>> repository.
>>> Just put them in testing with the rest and someone else can move them to
>>> core when the time comes.
>>>

>> I guess that means that we'll have to move libcap in [core].
>>

> We have been leaving makedeps in [extra]... *Not sure if it is a formal
> policy decision.
>
> Allan

I think it depends if these makedepends have any (make)depends in
extra. Instead of moving them to core along with their whole
dependency chain, we just keep them in extra because it makes more
sense (eg. python-m2crypto). Libcap only depends on glibc so it
doesn't have this problem.

Old 03-12-2009, 10:16 PM
Gerardo Exequiel Pozzi

Gerardo Exequiel Pozzi wrote:
> Hugo Doria wrote:
>
>> Packages that have libcap>=2.16 on makedepends:
>>
>> dnsmasq-2.45-2
>> proftpd-1.3.1-2 (i updated to 1.3.2-1)
>> squid-2.7.STABLE6-2
>>

> Hola Hugo
>
> Here are one change, proftpd with libcap-2.16 uses libcap as depend,
> (this don't happends with old libcap)
>
> See the diference:
> # readelf -a /usr/sbin/proftpd | grep cap
> 29: 00000000 67 FUNC GLOBAL DEFAULT UND capset@GLIBC_2.1 (3)
> 151: 00000000 67 FUNC GLOBAL DEFAULT UND capget@GLIBC_2.1 (3)
>

> # readelf -a /usr/sbin/proftpd | grep cap
> 0x00000001 (NEEDED) Shared library: [libcap.so.2]
> 46: 00000000 0 FUNC GLOBAL DEFAULT UND cap_set_proc
> 99: 00000000 0 FUNC GLOBAL DEFAULT UND cap_free
> 142: 00000000 0 FUNC GLOBAL DEFAULT UND cap_init
> 178: 00000000 0 FUNC GLOBAL DEFAULT UND cap_set_flag
> 183: 00000000 0 FUNC GLOBAL DEFAULT UND cap_to_text
> 184: 00000000 0 FUNC GLOBAL DEFAULT UND cap_get_proc
>
> It uses more advanced functions
>
> syslog-ng, dnsmasq and squid are OK

One more thing:

libcap-2.16-1 have a file in /usr/lib/security/pam_cap.so this file
should be in /lib/security/pam_cap.so

¡Hasta luego!